Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Another Newbie Here...

Hi Everyone! (Disclaimer: Long post here...) I was banded by Dr. Kevin Montgomery in Kirkland Washington on 10/25 (2 weeks ago). I live in Eugene Oregon - about a 5 hour drive from Dr. Montgomery but after researching the various docs in the NW who perform this surgery and talking with some, I decided to go with Montgomery (Northwest Weightloss Surgery). So far, NO regrets of any kind. I have a sister and friend up in Seattle and occasionally have to travel there for business, so making appts is not a problem and gives me chance to visit and shop!

I came to the conclusion that there was no turning back this summer when I found out that I will need to have my aortic valve replaced in about 5 years due to a congenital heart defect. I knew I had some stenosis of the valve but upon having it remeasured this summer and finding out I had progressed, I knew that the time had come to get myself in shape so that I can better handle the heart surgery. I had been researching different gastric surgeries for the last 3 years and had even consulted with one local doc 2 years ago. Hit a barrier with insurance, appealed, then lost interest in moving ahead -- too overwhelming.

Anyway, never did get insurance to cover it but I am blessed to have an angel in my life that said 'go do it - here is the money'. I am not sure how to ever fully thank my angel except to make this work for me and not waste the gift (and say 'thank you' <a hundred times> give hugs and love her for the fabulous person she is).

2 weeks ago I weighed 297 and today I am at a more svelt (ha!) 282 (down 15 pounds). I am already feeling the clothes loosening and more energy than I have had in a long time. I have my first fill scheduled for Dec. 4th.

I read a post from one person who listed all the wonderful things she had lost... the need for extender belts, etc. I have a small list of all the things I am looking forward to and thought I would share those.

• Getting my wedding ring off my pinky and back onto my ring finger.
  • Being able to walk down a plane aisle without banging into someone.
  • Being able to walk with my coworkers to a nearby restaurant for lunch.< br />
  • Being able to put on pantyhose without huffing and puffing.
  • Being able to paint my own toe nails (Fire engine red, of course).
  • Not having chapped thighs from heat in the summer (bad visual, I know).
  • Shopping for clothing in any store I want to.
  • Hiking with my husband and daughter when we visit her in Hawaii (she is in college there - rough place to attend school, huh?!).
  • Wearing shoes that are a normal width -- hence the next one...
  • Shopping for shoes that are to die for.
  • Not feeling like a "sexless blob" to quote another bandster.
  • Not having to ask for a chair at a restaurant because I cannot fit into the booth comfortably-- close to the goal of not having a chair hang onto my butt when I stand up because it is such a 'perfect' fit).
  • Being able to look in the mirror on a good day and say "Geez, your looking so HOT today" and mean it because I feel it and I believe it.
  • Finding out what I look like as an adult who is normal sized.
  • And last but not least, fairing well during heart surgery because I am in such better shape.

Anyway....the list could go on but those are the biggies. Thank you all for sharing... this is an incredible site and the positive messages are inspiring. I hope someday I can be a wise bandster who can offer others the positive support I feel from this group already.

Thanks for reading and sharing!

Hi Kristy,

Thank you for sharing your story. I wish you all the best as you continue on this journey. I hope your success with the Lap-Band helps with the heart related problems that you face.

I love this site and hope you get as much support and advice as you need.

Congratulations on your 15lb loss -- that is fantastic! :):):D

Hi Kristy,

Welcome to the club. I'm a new bandster too. Banded on October 28 and have lost about 15 lbs. too. It's great to get into a whole new set of numbers isn't it! We're off to a great start!

I understand your concern about the heart problems. I have been through similar issues with my husband. He had his mitral valve repaired in 1993 and now has cardiomyopathy. He has always kept himself in great shape with running and the repair surgery went very well. We were shocked to be told this year that he had the myopathy, probably from a viral infection he had two years ago. The heart seems to be forever susceptible to invaders once you've had a problem with it. Being in good shape is what's kept him going. His doctor wonders how he does what he does. You're smart to take care of yourself now. Health was the big reason I did this for myself as well. I'm 52 with a husband, two daughters and a wonderful grandson I want to be around for.

Good luck. This is a wonderful site for all kinds of support and information.

Welcome aboard! This is a great place to be, lots of support and information. Browse some of the old posts, you will find a lot of valuable information. Good Luck!

Welcome, Kristy! I love your list. God bless your angel for giving you the means to reclaim your health, and congratulations on your 15 lb. loss -- you're on your way.