Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All of a sudden...everyone is *#%* expert!

Had a dinner party Sunday night to Celebrate my daughter's 21st bday. Had family and like family friends over. This is the first time my surgery was discussed openly in a group setting. It wasn't really by choice, more as a result of big-mouthed folk. Bless them.

Here are just some of the comments I received:

Oh, so you're taking the easy short cut way?

My friend had WLS...he almost died. It was terrible.

You do know that you can gain it all back, right?

You'll never be able to eat "right" again.

The recovery is terrible.

Why don't you "just " exercise

You don't need surgery...just start drinking a lot of Water.< /p>

I just smiled and nodded. Yep, Smile and nodded.

I love them. My family. Lord, deliver me. :)

Well, at least they left out secondary addictions out!!! LOL. You've got to love family! So, far, only my husband and youngest daughter know and my surgery is 4 weeks away. God forbid I tell my sister whom I'm extremely close to!! She'd definitely be the one to say all of what your family said and of course the addiction thing.

When is your surgery? Best of luck with everything!!

I got that from my coworkers and in the beginning they all said they'd support me. One coworker even tempted me with chocolate. I asked her if I was an alcoholic would she tempt me with booze. Same concept in my book. Another coworker told me since I'm losing weight for surgery why spend all that money when "you can do it on your own" my thought was, hello dumbass, if I could do it on my own,why am I not doing it already. SMH. I have yet to tell my dad or my twin sister who by the way if half my size or smaller. Some days I can't win to lose. Some people are just dumb. Keep your head up.

Oh, I'm sure they'll mention that by the time I have surgery! Lol

I'm tentatively scheduled for Nov 5th, but as of right now still battling with insurance and with the less-than awesome office coordinators.

Well, at least they left out secondary addictions out!!! LOL. You've got to love family! So, far, only my husband and youngest daughter know and my surgery is 4 weeks away. God forbid I tell my sister whom I'm extremely close to!! She'd definitely be the one to say all of what your family said and of course the addiction thing.

When is your surgery? Best of luck with everything!!

I completely agree. It is the same exact concept! Wth is wrong with people?!

And yes, because "doing it on our own" has just had fabulous results! *eyeroll* lol

I got that from my coworkers and in the beginning they all said they'd support me. One coworker even tempted me with chocolate. I asked her if I was an alcoholic would she tempt me with booze. Same concept in my book. Another coworker told me since I'm losing weight for surgery why spend all that money when "you can do it on your own" my thought was, hello dumbass, if I could do it on my own,why am I not doing it already. SMH. I have yet to tell my dad or my twin sister who by the way if half my size or smaller. Some days I can't win to lose. Some people are just dumb. Keep your head up.

I have to travel two hours to my appointments, classes etc. A friend rode with me to one of my nutrition classes. As we are driving she says "have you ever tried Weight Watchers?" Was she serious? I like most of us have tried every diet or program on the planet. I have even had acupuncture, ear stapling and hypnosis. I wanted to stop and tell her to exit the car.????

Edited by EGN

You have to love family. My mother was on me for years about losing weight and how "thin" she was when she was my age. Would drive me crazy. Had the surgery and once I lost approx. 30 pounds all of a sudden she was worried I was too "thin"...You can't win. Thankfully my kids and fiance were super supportive and continue to support me. A lot of my friends know I've done it and the only ones who "offer" support are the ones who have also had WLS and gained weight back...I get a lot of...you're going to gain it back...but they don't realize they went back to bad habits, I have no and don't plan to. It's been great practice for me to start "meditating", lol. Best of luck!

I am so damn mad at myself for telling my sister about my surgery on Thursday. Her response was "you are, you can lose it".Mind you, she is 120 and I'm 233. She then told me insurance wouldn't covet it. I told her I've been working on this for a yr and if I could lose it, I would have. She then told me how I'd have to be on Vitamins for the rest of my life. I just thought of something during my rant. She and I are twins and she's always been referred to as the skinny one. Ha, look out bitch because now it's my turn. Sorry for cussing and complaining, but damn it, where is the support. It's not a compitition (sp)to see who wins. SMH

It's the main reason I'm not telling a lot of people. In fact my close friends know more about it than my family. When I told my parents that I was thinking about it they outright told me no and that I'm not going to do it. Really?! I don't live with you, you're not paying for it, and I'm 23 years old. From then on i decided not to tell anybody in my family and my parents don't know that I'm the Pre-op stage. Every family dinner usually ends up with them telling me to lose weight but if I even mention this they would go on about it being dangerous or I could do it myself. I've been overweight and trying to be thin since I was 9. I'm done with being told I can do it myself because it's obvious it's not working.

Oh grrrrrrrrr to them all. My sister who is 5'7" and weighs about 130 started in on me once. She just had a face lift. I wondered out loud why she hadn't done that on her own.

Oh grrrrrrrrr to them all. My sister who is 5'7" and weighs about 130 started in on me once. She just had a face lift. I wondered out loud why she hadn't done that on her own.[/quote

Dar 200, what you wondered out loud to your sister has got me cracking up here! That is awesome! WTG!!

She really got what I was saying. Meanwhile, my sister-in-law researched weight loss surgery and educated my sister. My sister is now really being supportive. Sometimes I don't think people have any idea what they sound like. I thought what I said was a gentle reminder. I crack myself up too

LMAO!!!!! Gotta remember that one, because Lord knows there's a whole lotta fillers and botox and nips and tucks 'round here! :P

Oh grrrrrrrrr to them all. My sister who is 5'7" and weighs about 130 started in on me once. She just had a face lift. I wondered out loud why she hadn't done that on her own.

I've been lucky pretty much everyone has been supportive. Only my younger brother (who has always been heavy) has been unsupportive. He didn't think I should do it. I told him it's my decision, and I m going through with it. I want to be healthy! He then told me they kicked some guy out of the hospital because he ordered pizza! Like if I would do that lol.

That's why I'm keeping my surgery a secret from pretty much everyone. My husband knows, my mom, a coworker who has had it, and my boss so they're aware why I'm always going to appointments and have an upcoming surgery. That's it. I don't need unwarranted advice and I know it'll just frustrate me. (people do the same things when you're pregnant and I HATED it)