Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have no restriction 2 1/2 weeks out, can eat normal portions. WHY?!

@@CowgirlJane If I could show you the scan, I would. My stomach fluroscopy doesn't really show a banana shape. It shows a distinct stomach pouch- circular- at the bottom of the banana. Which is what am assuming is allowing me to eat and not feel restricted. I have an appt with the PA Thursday, and with the Surgeon next week. I am going to ask about the amounts I can eat, the hunger, and the shape not looking like a banana. It looks like a banana with a melon under it. :) I appreciate hearing that you didn't feel restriction at the beginning. I do wish there was a way to upload a pic I would.

@@Babbs I will lose with restriction, if I have it you mean! I have a photo of my stomach and it is indeed as I describe it. There is a large pouch at the bottom of the banana. Actually there is really not a banana as the illustrations appear. Not on mine at least. And I don't overeat. I eat until I am satisfied. I am not and I wasn't a volume eater. I was an occasional overeater- bad choices- but not a volume eater. I am going to ask about a stronger acid reducer though I cant say I feel any acid. I feel hunger like I felt hunger before the surgery. I'll find out more at my next appointment.

@@JamieLogical that's good to know! I can easily get in 80-90 grams if I eat and drink a Protein shake. Its not hard at all. I had a Protein Shake and a 1/2 yogurt and that was 40 grams right there. I guess this is where the larger stomach benefits you. I like your story,

@@kranky813 yeah, no, that's not a feeling I recognize. I can eat 4 oz without any of that feeling. I did have that feeling the first week, so I know that feeling, it just went away after about a week and a half. Now when I eat, I don't feel discomfort or pushing it- now of course I'm not trying to push it- Im saying that when say I ate the can of tuna, there was no feeling of hitting a wall like i felt the first week.

@@Nomorethickchick

Keep us posted about what your doctor says. I'm super curious.....

Thanks, JamieLogical. That makes me feel a lot better.

I am already taking 40mg of the Omeprazole but I take it all at once around 11:30am to get me through the afternoon hungries. Maybe I should take it one in the AM and one around 5pm? I was hungry just now and had a high-Protein greek yogurt and feel better. Should be able to have a really light supper now and go to bed early. :-)

I took my omeprazole all at once since I only had issues in the evening. I would take it around 2 -3 ish and like you had a small snack then a sensible dinner.

@@JamieLogical that's good to know! I can easily get in 80-90 grams if I eat and drink a Protein shake. Its not hard at all. I had a Protein Shake and a 1/2 yogurt and that was 40 grams right there. I guess this is where the larger stomach benefits you. I like your story,

Early on I started beginning my day with a high protein shake. Scoop of Protein powder + ¼ - ½ cup of FAGE0% greek yogurt. I also occasionally added nut butter, a tiny bit of rolled oats or pureed spinach. It helped me meet protein goals early on, kept my calories low, and kept me fuller. You may need to eat more filling foods.

Two thoughts coming from a pre-op:

1) Head hunger

2) the sphincter connecting your stomach to the duodenum (or jejunum...not 100% sure where it connects to) has stretched out. That's the "melon" at the bottom.

What the heck do I know, though.

@@Babbs I'm going on Thursday to the PA and next week to the surgeon follow up- The PA probably won't order the drink test- I am betting he will- but I kind of want to bring in a tub of cottage cheese and say, lets skip the expensive medical test and just watch me actually eat this. :)

Yeah -- skinny banana on top of a melon is not what VSG surgery is supposed to produce.

And FTR, there is no "pouch" in VSG surgery. A "pouch" is something that's designed by RnY (gastric bypass) surgery.

You can google all this. Here's what VSG surgery produces:

sleeve.jpg

I was sleeved 3 weeks ago and can eat pretty much anything. My sleeve was done at a 36 French Bougie. I can also eat larger amounts than the guidelines but I eat 700-800 calories and get all my Protein in. I am down over 10lbs.

I was eating 800 calories 3 weeks post-op, too.

I hit 60 grams of Protein 5 days post-op.

13.5 months later I can eat only 1 cup MAX at a single sitting.

I'm 2 weeks out rny and can eat 4oz easily.

Re the "melon", my surgeon mentioned a couple of times that some surgeons don't carefully check the stomach is flat before they do the staple/cut thing. If they are not careful, then a little extra stomach can be hidden on the back side, and they end up creating more of a ball shaped pouch than the one they're supposed to make. He explained that he's very careful to lift the stomach up and check the back to make sure it's flat to prevent that.

But otherwise, I'll tell you that even on mushy chicken/tuna, I didn't feel very full, and I thought maybe they hadn't done the surgery -- but as soon as I started eating more solid things, WOW, yes, I felt the restriction. If your duodenum is "loose", you may pass soft foods fairly easily, and not feel much constriction, but with solid foods, you may.

Either way, as others have said, it's a tool. You CAN eat more, and you CAN stretch it out, and you CAN overcome any level of volume restriction. One has to decide to make not doing that a habit.