Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have no restriction 2 1/2 weeks out, can eat normal portions. WHY?!

Your "restriction" at this point (and maybe always) should be MEASURING your food and not eating more than that!!!!!!! Putting down the fork is a restriction too.

I didn't, and still don't, feel full most of the time. My "full" is when I have had my portion. You don't have to feel full to have had enough food.

Eat 2 oz (or how much for whatever stage you are at) and put the rest in the fridge. The food isn't going to run away. It will be there for your next meal.

this surgery's success is just as much mental as it is physical. you are not only retraining your body, you are retraining your mind.

i too am one of the ones who felt almost NO restriction after surgery...and i blame it on my absolutely excellent, awesome surgeon dr. jordan garrison. he did the operation so well that immediately afterward, besides the obvious pain from slicing through stomach muscle to get to the organs inside, and being groggy from the meds, i had absolutely no pain and my first meal after surgery, slurped down the ENTIRE bowl of broth (about a cup) and easily slurped down 2 ounces of Water every 15 minutes.

by the time i was healing a week later, i was dying of thirst because 2 ounces of Water just wasn't enough for me. i decided to push myself to see how much i could hold...4 ounces EASY...6 ounces before restriction even wanted to kick in...and about 8 ounces before i felt overfull! talk about a pouch!

i panicked. because i felt like i could hold WAY too much liquid that early out. when i started on thick liquids...i could EASILY get down 4 ounces of Tomato Soup and not feel "full". i also remembered him telling me he removed ALOT of my hunger nerves to help control that insatiable hunger signal of mine. so naturally, when i went to my appointment with my dr...i told him "hey doc i'm eating way too much! not only that, i'm hungry! not head hungry...but actually HUNGRY. like...where's the meal?!" i mean hey...why was i HUNGRY when he removed so much of my stomach and attached nerves?!

he looked at me, as calm as can be and said, "t...everyone is different. this is a tool for you. i didn't operate on you to remove your digestive system. or to make you never hungry again. i operated on you so you can take control of your weight via better choices, and have your body cooperate with your determination a bit more. this is still your battle. some people get hungry. some people don't. some people can drink alot, some people can't. this surgery is different on every person and no two results are exactly alike. in the meantime...youre 20 pounds down and doing great!"

i never worried again. i am realizing that for me...i had an EXTREME hunger response before surgery and now, i have what i would call a NORMAL hunger response. it is for me, the same way it is for my healthy weighted friends who have never had surgery. it is not a suppressed response like some other surgery patients. it's just normal. that is the result i got, and i am working with it. i feel my surgery was a success in that arena because although he did not remove my hunger signal, he helped to bring it down to a normal level. prior to surgery...i would still have hunger signals even while being full to the point of being sick! i would be physically over full, but feel like i hadn't eaten anything all day long! hard to explain but it was there! and now...i get hungry...i eat...and i'm not hungry anymore.

success!

my weight loss is much slower than others. at 10 months out, i'm only 50+ lbs down. some people are already 100+ lbs down by this time. but you know what...i can eat normally. i NEVER get sick, i've never vomited. i've overeaten a time or two, and paid the price. but i feel more in control. food doesn't control me like it used to on a good day. i notice the only time my food control will gets thin is when i'm under HIGH stress. yes i can still process junk food. i can still process alot of empty liquids. but now, i can turn away from those things and NOT feel like i'm coming off of drug withdrawal. i don't need those things to CONTROL my life.

i stopped overthinking my surgery results. stopped nitpicking over every little thing my body did afterwards that wasn't "by the book". i followed the rules, sometimes toeing the line but never going over. and i am adjusting pretty well i think. i never had a huge drop in weight...and to continue losing, i now have to work out, exercise and watch what i eat! but i would say...considering that the goal of the surgeries we undergo is for them to be a TOOL and not the solution...i would say i'm right on track.

and i realize my surgery turned out just fine for me.

calm down, breathe deep, follow the rules and pay attention to your body...and you may find that your surgery result is just fine, despite being different from everyone else's.

sorry for the super long response, but i just want you to know that i too had an atypical post surgery experience...but here i am, 10 months later, so happy i did it. and 50 lbs smaller.

this post is so to the point!!! i feel the exact same way. before surgery...i couldn't "put the food away"...now i say, "hey, it'll be there when i get back!"

surgery success!

i did not want food to become my enemy after surgery. i refused to get rid of real sugar for artificial, i did not want to get sick from anything. i did not want to be leery concerning an activity i MUST do to stay alive.

i am happy that for me, this surgery didn't take those things away from me. i LOVE food. i LOVE eating.

i just do it normally now.

i'm also a JC girl btw! hiii! *waves*

Your "restriction" at this point (and maybe always) should be MEASURING your food and not eating more than that!!!!!!! Putting down the fork is a restriction too.

I didn't, and still don't, feel full most of the time. My "full" is when I have had my portion. You don't have to feel full to have had enough food.

Eat 2 oz (or how much for whatever stage you are at) and put the rest in the fridge. The food isn't going to run away. It will be there for your next meal.

Wow! You've lost 9 lbs in two weeks. Is eating 5oz of chicken in your dietary guid

Meant to say that losing 9 lbs in two weeks is pretty good. Try following the actual diet that your doctor gives you. Including the Protein Shakes, Vitamins and fluids and you should be fine.