Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

From 1st Consult to Surgery - how long?

For me it is supposed to be 12 months for insurance purposes, but I'm at month 8 and my paperwork is being processed, and I'm meeting with the surgeon, nutritionist, and psychologist in two weeks!

Due to the complications with my back, I've been told that with physician referral and my well documented process, they may approve me a little early.

... Keeping my fingers crossed - although it's harder to type that way!! ...

The Weight Management Team has a protocol that will keep my busy for six months, preparing for the big event... If I could wait for nine months for a baby to be born, I can wait for this too : )

GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT

Can you believe that Christmas will be here in less than 6 months? Seems like we just got all the decorations put away... In other words, time passes quickly.

Look at the positive, start your new life now! The band-tool will be here to help you just about the time you'll need it!!!

katie, the optimist:whoo:and cheerleader

My experience at the Barix Center - Ypsilanti/Holland MI. June 1st Consult with surgeon, July 5th BCBS insurance approval after going for psyc testing and family doc referral, pre-op scheduled for July 31st with surgery scheuled August 14th. I didn't think this timing was bad at all. During our group discussion there was a gal there from the Chicago area - so they must have clientele from far and wide. I am very happy with the process.

So I just found out that I am going to have lap band today. I had to finance it myself because my insurance required 5 consecutive years of medical testing/procedures for weightloss. I could have waited 6 month or even a year, but 5 years was a bit extensive for me. I called the Bariatric Center and scheduled my consult and then we scheduled my surgery for THE NEXT DAY! I needed to get this done now or had to wait until December. My surgeon wasn't going to be there in December so that was going to push the date back until June. (I am a teacher and didn't want to take the time off). So now my consult date is August 8 and my surgery is August 9. Wish me luck.

I note self payers often have fast turn around times. I am fortunate that I have good insurance that has a history of support for WLS. Anyway, I went to a seminar in Mid April 2007. Had first consult with surgeon on May 3, 2007. I was told to lose 20-30 lbs. In the meantime I had lots of hoops. Cardiac clearance that required full battery of tests including echo and 2 day stress test. Pulomonary including function testing, sleep apnea evaluation and sleep study, and obtain CPAP machine. Tons of lab work (blood, urine, chest x-rays, etc). All of which was to be signed off by primary Dr. who was considering sending me for a colonoscopy only because I was 50 and had not had one (all tests were fine). I respectfully asked to forego this until afterward and she agreed it was not necessary for clearance. In between there were office visits to review tests, followups with surgeon on weight loss, etc. Then 2 weeks prior a whole new round of preop testing at the hospital. Finally had surgery July 11, 2007. Not bad considering all I had to do. It just seemed like my life was consumed with Dr's appointments for 2 months straight as each one spawned another and another.

took me 5 months. seemed like forever - but now that it's done , (as of 2 days ago),i'm happier then ever!

my first consult was June 27th. The doctor told me that the entire process would take 3-4 months. it took me forever to get a first consult appointment...about six weeks!! now everything has gone pretty fast. i've done everything i need to, now the doctors office submits it all to insurance...fingers crossed...

I have done the homework and I am convinced that this is the solution for me. I live in Chicago and I'm starting the process at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. My first appointment is with a dietitian. The woman who set up my appointment today said I can expect surgery six months from now.

Six months from now seems like a long, long time to wait. I am committed, but wondering if I should be considering other doctors or places to get the surgery.

How long did most people wait? How do you deal with the wait? I can just imagine being bigger by then with more to lose :blushing:

Ever thought that maybe your surgeon is one of the better ones and he's booked completely? most surgeons that do the gastric banding don't just rely on that for there pay check, the doctor I'm going with does numerous other surgeries and I wouldnt expect to be banded within a year but I'm a speciality case which means I will most likely only be waiting for 3 months. It just depends on there surgeries and which are more important, lap band is not as important as say heart surgery, know what I mean?

1st consult:Nov. 28, 2007

Surgery: March 14, 2008

About four months or eight weeks.

Hi. I went to the seminar here in Waco, Texas in March 2007 and I had my surgery in September 2007. I seen my regular Dr. after the seminar and talked with her about the lap band and told her that I would like to see if this might help me or not. I had to see her for 6 months due to insurance policys, I was seen in June by the physocologist and then all my paperwork went to the insurance company I heard back within a two week period of time yep biting the nails way down just waiting. In August I seen the Dietitician and then the first week of September I had my surgery. If your self paying I don't think there really is a time frame but I could be wrong. You will do just fine and hey keep yourself busy and time will pass. I can tell you that the band is really as they claim just a tool to help you lose weight but you have to do all the rest. Exercise is a plus and it can be so hard trust me I know for I am still doing it and walking well after awhile you get used to walking the 4 miles plus daily but just walking 30 minutes a day is great too. I am heading down to the 90 pound weight loss mark and I am so excited. You will too. I started my exercise program long before I had the surgery. I lose around 4 to 5 pounds a week yep the Dr. said that is more than I need to lose.

Sharon

Hi, I am just like you also. I went to the seminar in December. I started the journey in January and lost 20 lbs so far on the diet. I'm losing my mind. I have had all the testing done and lost all the required weight but they have not yet indicated they are submitting my paper work. I'm losing my mind. I want it now. Of course, once they tell me they will schedule me I'll be in panic mode. Just can't be satisfied.

My surgeon only does lap band, nothing else. After a year of research and deep thought, I decided I wanted to pursue this in January and went to a seminar on 2/16/08. Insurance approval wasn't long for me and I will set my surgery date on Friday. I was told by his office that I would be able to be banded within a month if I wanted. So, in the end it will have been about 8-10 weeks. I'm sorry some of you have such a long wait. I know the last month for me has been torture. When I finally decide to do something, I want it done yesterday. Good luck!!