Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for friends/support

My name is Megan and long story short I got my band placed almost 4 yrs ago. 2 surgeries and 3 yrs later My dr figured out my body is rejecting the band and it has to go! I'm trying to get the sleeve a sap and it's been a long process which I'm sure a lot of you can understand! Not a lot of people understand WLS or support it so I would really like people I can share this journey with. I'm hoping insurance approves it in the next month or so fingers crossed :D

Good luck Megan! I'm Lisa & new to WLS - waiting for my new date for the Sleeve. I had to postpone because an endoscopy revealed my stomach was full of ulcers. Hoping for October though.

Sorry to hear you had problems with your bad. Hopefully you'll be able to get approved for the sleeve quickly and find some relief.

Hi Megan - sorry about your band. I am getting the sleeve on 10/22 and I am both terrified and excited at the same time. I would love more buddies myself. I was keeping my surgery secret at first because of the reaction you get when people find out you're having WLS. But then I decided to embrace it. Peoples ignorance still amazes me. I still have coworkers (That work for a HOSPITAL) that try to talk me out of it. And who knows what my physical reaction will be when the next person tells me they didn't think I was heavy enough for WLS? Really people? A doctor prescribed it, a surgeon agreed to preform, and the insurance is covering it. This site has been a great benefit.

Its good to know that although we all have distance between us together we are NOT alone.

Hi Megan, Lisa and Mom! I am also a newbie to WLS. I probably won't have mine done until January. My insurance requires 3 mos of nutritional counseling. I don't have the first one until 10/2. I joined BP because I needed all the information I could find on the sleeve. Pre-op, post-op, and after a year on what to expect, what people are eating, and just for support as well! Feel free to add me as a friend as we go on this journey together, sharing stories, fears and successes! Just call me Kat! Good luck to you guy's!

Jelly belly I completely understand what you mean about people's response/input on YOUR and your DRS decision! I have always been pretty open about my choices since the beginning but after having complications and my indecisiveness about switching to the sleeve I find that people's input just puts negativity in my mind that is not necessary. I have finally come to the full decision that this is what I want and I could give a crap what other people think as long as I have support from my husband :)

Hi Kat! Trust me I understand the wait. But I will say bc of the complications and the time of my last revision band surgery and waiting on insurance to decide if they will pay for it I have learned soooooo much! And I'm thankful that it happened this way bc I'm a lot more prepared this time then I was the first time around. I'm learning to REALLY take it one day at a time. I wanted to have my band surgery so that I could be at a healthy weight to have kids. That was my goal. Well, after losing a little bit of weight and things just going so wrong less than 6 mths after surgery I gave up. Long story short I stopped going to my surgeon and decided to try to have kids first. I got pregnant the first try and ended up with a miscarriage. Then after my dr said it was ok we tried again and got pregnant again. Then miscarried again. Well I couldn't take it anymore and decided to hold off on that and started trying to do what I wanted to in order for me to b happy. And that's where I'm at today

I'm new to wls and could use all the support i can. don't get me wrong I have a loving husband (who happens to be skinny as a rail) and a beautiful 10 year old daughter who both support me through everything...but they don't know or understand what i'm going through! i do have a cousin who also happens to be getting sleeved! he was banded in 2013, had it removed earlier this year and is now getting sleeved...he's really the only person semi close who understands. Please feel free to add me. i scheduled my surgery for 10/26/15, i pray it all works out!

Welcome Kim! I added you as a friend! I hope all goes well for your surgery and weight loss. Megan, thanks for sharing your life with us. I want to say how sorry I am that you had to go thru the loss of a pregnancy. It's not an easy thing to get thru when you want children so badly. I will pray that this happens for you. Today my surgeon's office called to say I tested positive for the H-Pylori, so now I have to do a stool sample (TMI, I'm sorry) and if it is still positive then they will treat it with two weeks of antibiotics. Anyone else have this problem?

Hi my name is Tracey and I'm also new to WLS. I'm completing all of my requirements now and getting all of my test done. Im hoping to be sleeved in December or January. No one will every understand what we go through unless they have walked in our shoes. This is not an easy journey that we all are embarking on but it is a much needed one. I'm approaching the big 4 O and I want to be better in my 40s then I ever was in my 30s.

I would love to have as much support around me as possible and be able to relate with people going through the same thing. Please feel free to add me as a friend, I will try to figure out how to do the same :)

Hi im getting my sleeve tomorrow. This is gonna be an interesting trip for me lol.... Im not sure yet if im gonna be a good patient or a bad one since im going in with a bad back which has been giving me problems... Im anticipating some issues and wondering if i should take a few more items in my backpack o fun.. My main motto is be as prepared as you can be with out going overboard.

Hi Tracy and Mouse! Mouse, good luck tomorrow! Maybe with the pain meds they will give you for your surgery it will decrease your back pain and you will be the good patient! LOL Keep in touch and let us know how it goes! I'm always anxious to hear about everyone's surgery so I stay informed of what to expect.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this to & could also use support. I told a few people of my WLS intentions & got mixed responses. Luckily the few who their opinion would matter to me are supportive. I won't be mentioning it to any more friends/family members. I do feel a bit guilty for not telling my parents, but I don't need my mom to be stressed & then me have to absorb her stress.

Best of luck & success to all of you. ????

Hi Megan - sorry about your band. I am getting the sleeve on 10/22 and I am both terrified and excited at the same time. I would love more buddies myself. I was keeping my surgery secret at first because of the reaction you get when people find out you're having WLS. But then I decided to embrace it. Peoples ignorance still amazes me. I still have coworkers (That work for a HOSPITAL) that try to talk me out of it. And who knows what my physical reaction will be when the next person tells me they didn't think I was heavy enough for WLS? Really people? A doctor prescribed it, a surgeon agreed to preform, and the insurance is covering it. This site has been a great benefit.

Its good to know that although we all have distance between us together we are NOT alone.

I will be your buddy. I get sleeved on October 19.

So, I will start with Hello, I new as well and was recommended to look for support members to speak with before I make my final decision. My insurances cover most costs and I am at the borderline for approval. If there iss anyone willing to PM I would be greatful.