Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Deciding whether or not to get the surgery.

Hello all. I have been back and forth over several years thinking about getting the sleeve. I am 5'5'' and 230lbs. I am 26 years old and have struggled with my weight since I was a child. I even went to fat camp haha. I haven't gone for a consultation yet partly because I'm nervous they won't approve me for it and also because I am not sure about the surgery because of some of the restrictions afterward. I wanted to get some opinions if they believe this would be good for me, if you think insurance will cover it, and the things they were most disappointed with after the surgery. I am also very worried that I will screw it up and I won't lose any weight. Please help me start to sort all of this out so I can make an educated decision. I have done a lot of research and know a couple people who have had the procedure.

post-263372-0-54573100-1443322750_thumb.jpg

The only way to see if your insurance will cover it is to check with your insurance company. You are the only one who can decide if this is the right thing to do, we can't tell you that. I am scheduled for surgery on Oct 22nd, and self paying in Mexico because my insurance doesn't cover any bariatric procedures, period. That is how determined I am to get this done.

What restrictions are you worried about? Are you worried about not being able to follow them? Or are you upset that you wouldn't be able to eat "normally" afterwards? If that's how you are feeling, then it is not the time to have this surgery. You must be ready to make this life change or it will not work.

Research, research, research. Read everything you can so you understand how the procedure works, what life changes will be made, what to expect before and after, risks, etc.

Of course I know that only I can make this decision but was just wanting some input from people who have or are going to go through with the procedure. Just curious about what people may share but in no way will it make the decision for me. I am ready to make a life change just more curious how some of the restrictions may influence my life like going out with friends and things of that nature. I hope that makes sense. ha

Go to an informational seminar. The restrictions aren't really that bad. In fact, I'm not sure I would call them that. You relearn how to eat, but ultimately the choice is yours. It's just that the surgery makes sticking to those choices easier because you have less space to deal with. Whether you opt for surgery or not the seminar is a good informational step.

I will say this; I go out all the time. I have a very active social life. I ate out somewhere around 4 - 6 weeks post-op. At 6mths I went to a wine tasting. This week I had a glass of wine and a cup of skinny popcorn to watch Scandal. it takes some planning and forethought, but life post op is very manageable.

After healing from the surgery and by the time you are eating real food, you won't have a lot of problems eating out with friends. You will just always have a to go box! Many restaurants have a high Protein portion or low cal portion of the menu (lighter eaters). You would just make good choices in regards to what to order. Grilled chicken with salsa, or lean steak, the sides can be change upon request. Now, with alcohol you will need to be really careful. Cheap dates will have nothing on you. Alcohol will pass quickly from your sleeve and into your intestines. It's like shooting it straight into your bloodstream.

I must be drunk aunty. Alcohol feels exactly the same as it did pre-op

Hello we are some what similar I'm 5'5 27 and was 242 the day of orientation I was 234 the day of surgery with the help of pre op diet mine was just basically no fried foods and smaller portions and no carbs which I did have some just very little. I was 212 the day of surgery I'm currently one month out and I am 186.. I still eat out but I eat very little and its chicken or something light I'm on soft foods the first few weeks are the hardest.. I'm very social but by November I will be able to eat whatever I want which will be healthy because I have no cravings or need for sweets or anything unhealthy .. Crazy I never thought I would say that.. You can message me privately if you want more details my process was easy and fast

Same here with the alcohol. No difference post op. In fact I think I felt it more before surgery because I had room for a couple of cocktails but now I can't finish one.