Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you deal with hair loss?

MzB

I am in the fine and already thin on top category and I already have a very short haircut. It has been short for years. I worry that when / if I starts I will be a fat little onion head! I have not had my surgery yet but about a year ago I bought a couple of wigs that look very much like my hair but they are thicker and actually a little longer. My thought is that when I begin to really need I will take them to someone and have them cut them more closely to look like my hair. I don't want to wear a wig but if I am forced I will.

Wow, you look fantastic, @@MzB! I never would have guessed that you're wearing a hair piece. It looks completely natural. Is the topper itchy or uncomfortable?

I haven't experienced any Hair loss, but I am only five weeks out. It is definitely a concern for me. In 2012 I began using a John Frieda product called Go Blonder (a spray you apply to roots) because my naturally blonde hair had started to grow in darker, and I thought it would be less damaging than all-over color. Despite using the product exactly as instructed, it caused massive hair loss. All the hair I'd used the product on - which was primarily at the front of my head and the most visible areas - snapped off at the roots. I later read reviews on Makeup Alley from so many others who'd gone through the same distressing experience. It took two full years for the hair to grow back out. I'm writing about it here so that if anyone happens to read this they'll stay away from that product. If our hair is already fragile post-surgery, I think it could be really vulnerable to damage from that spray.

I do take a quality Multivitamin, Calcium, and Vitamin D every day, but I don't take Biotin or other Vitamins specifically for hair loss because in the past when I've had them they've caused acne breakouts.

Edited by Clementine Sky

From what I've read hairloss seems to appear after about 3 months. Taking Vitamins isn't going to be enough to prevent it. Your fat cells also store hormones, so combine the stress on your body from surgery, rapid weight loss, and extra hormones floating around, it's just too much.

Just noticed the hair along my temples appear to be growing back. I've got some fuzzy regrowth happening. I'll have my dermatologist check when I see her next week.

Wow, you look fantastic, @@MzB! I never would have guessed that you're wearing a hair piece. It looks completely natural. Is the topper itchy or uncomfortable?

I haven't experienced any Hair loss, but I am only five weeks out. It is definitely a concern for me. In 2012 I began using a John Frieda product called Go Blonder (a spray you apply to roots) because my naturally blonde hair had started to grow in darker, and I thought it would be less damaging than all-over color. Despite using the product exactly as instructed, it caused massive hair loss. All the hair I'd used the product on - which was primarily at the front of my head and the most visible areas - snapped off at the roots. I later read reviews on Makeup Alley from so many others who'd gone through the same distressing experience. It took two full years for the hair to grow back out. I'm writing about it here so that if anyone happens to read this they'll stay away from that product. If our hair is already fragile post-surgery, I think it could be really vulnerable to damage from that spray.

I do take a quality Multivitamin, Calcium, and Vitamin D every day, but I don't take Biotin or other Vitamins specifically for hair loss because in the past when I've had them they've caused acne breakouts.

Clementine Sky, Sorry for the delayed response. I am traveling. The top piece is great! I love it and it feels incredibly natural. I have been wearing it for several weeks and no one can tell at all. It is just at the top of my scalp so I can still brush my hair normally as long as I don't start right at my part. I can even put it up in a ponytail. My hair looks better than ever even though I am losing a lot of hair right now. I got this piece when I first started losing so even though my hair has gotten a lot thinner, no one has noticed. I don't want to endorse a product per say but I got an Easipart human hair top piece. ????

Well first I started with extensions and then I got sick of them so I cut it off! Best decision..ever! Oh and that's not a "DR's stethoscope" I actually use that!! Ha!!

Wow you're so pretty!!!

Kept up with my Vitamins and Protein, used shampoos that are sulfate (foam) free, comb my hair out with a wide toothed comb in the shower with lots of conditioner. I thought about cutting it off or doing braids or a protective style, but decided against that. My hair isn't noticeably thinner until I have it straightened out. It's very thick and curly so while I've lost plenty, it isn't terribly noticable.

It's gonna fall out period. It will grow back. It is frustrating, but stressing about it makes it worse. Taking pills and things that are supposed to make your hair regrow are cool, but all that did for me was give me additional hair in places I didn't want it :-|

Good luck.

I just got on the horse and rode it out!!!!!

Ugh.

It lasted 5 months. And then stopped. :) it will end for you too

@@stuart85 Not too many guys posting to this thread, so I may start a male one. I am noticing more patchy areas than usual when brushing my hair in the morning, so it's definitely starting, though I have no idea how long it lasts. I am 31, 8 weeks out, and take all my Vitamins and supplements every morning. I'm not sure it's avoidable, but most people say that it's brief and then starts to grow back and reaches prior rates.

I'm probably going to avoid getting a haircut until I am satisfied that it has started to grow normally again.

I wore a sew in for about 6 weeks. So much hair came out and my temples thinned. Go with the wig. I haven't had much luck with wigs. My hair dresser said we're going to start doing deep condition treatments no weekly and roller setting the hair. I always had thin hair, but I had length and I could never see my scalp. I still have length, but I can definitely see my scalp more on the top. I'm starting Biotin as well.

hair loss is one of my biggest concerns with WLS. I have PCOS and my hair is already thin and fine - and super thin on my crown. I use Toppik on a few little Patches where I think there's too much scalp showing. It's not super noticeable yet but it won't take much more to make it bad. But in the end, it's still worth it for me to have the surgery and deal with the Hair loss.

Just cry. ????

hair loss is one of my biggest concerns with WLS. I have PCOS and my hair is already thin and fine - and super thin on my crown. I use Toppik on a few little Patches where I think there's too much scalp showing. It's not super noticeable yet but it won't take much more to make it bad. But in the end, it's still worth it for me to have the surgery and deal with the Hair loss.< /p>

As I mention in my previous post, I too have been losing quite a bit of hair. There are days where I think I shed with every step I take. ???? I was really surprised at how well the top piece I got matched. I've been wearing it for over a month now and no one can tell I have it on if I don't tell them. My hair has continued to fall out I'd rather alarming pace I must admit. However, with the top piece I am wearing everyone thinks my hair looks better than ever. Any decision on how you handle your hair is up to you entirely. I haven't found that extensions work very well because my hair keeps falling out and it's very hard for the extensions to hold on to anything. I also don't think a short haircut will deal with the bald spots I have on top well. I trust that my hair will come back and that this is a temporary measure. Everyone seems to figure out what works best for them and the veterans all seem to say that it gets better. ????

Let me just add that I think even with the hair issues, this decision is totally worth it given what I am seeing as far as the way my body is starting to look. Best of luck to you.

Today my surgeon told me that increasing Protein and supplementing with Vitamins will not help Hair loss. That's its the body in shock from surgery and from weight loos and one just has to ride it out!! :((((

@ bellabloom

I can second that. I was actually getting "too much" Protein up until a month ago. hair is still falling out. I think it is just a response from our bodies and the changing hormones. At this point no one has an answer on really why it happens.