Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you deal with hair loss?

MzB

This scares me. I have super fine and thin hair already. You can see my scalp because theres not a lot there. I worry I'm gonna end up bald :( I'm hoping and praying I'm one of the lucky few. I wonder what causes it.

This scares me. I have super fine and thin hair already. You can see my scalp because theres not a lot there. I worry I'm gonna end up bald :( I'm hoping and praying I'm one of the lucky few. I wonder what causes it.

It's the rapid weight loss. You body uses all available Protein resources to continue to function. Things like hair and nails get robbed as a result. This is one of the reasons why it's important to meet those protein goals. In most cases it stops as you get closer to maintenance.

I am in the same boat. Fine hair that was already thinning and I was already trying to cover my loss on top. Now that is shedding a lot I worry about how it looks. I too worry about going bald since I am only one month into the Hair loss and most are saying it goes for a while. For now I am opting for the topper. I know everyone is different but I feel better with it than without.

I haven't had hair loss yet. My surgery was almost 9 months ago. Am I safe yet? I'm menopausal which some of you have mentioned that makes Hair loss worse. My hair has been thin for the last few years because of menopause but I haven't had any new hair loss since my gastric sleeve.

The right hair cut can make all the difference. I've had thick, one length hair down to my butt for the past few years. Although I didn't lose any hair from surgery, the hairline above my temples is thinner than the rest of my hair. This could be due to menopause (thanks to the VSG surgery) or just growing old at 38. Since my hair is so heavy, it gets really flat on top from all the weight despite my many attempts to add volume.

I've been planning on cutting my hair into a short shag for months. Finally, I went to the salon Saturday with multiple pictures of what I wanted. Although, she didn't cut it shorter than my shoulders (she was afraid I'd regret it) she put in a multitude of choppy, disconnected layers all over the place. The hairdresser cut the layers in a way that made my natural curl come out.

In the end, I got volume for sure, but not as short as I originally wanted. My hair is so thick now that you can't even see my face when it is all down. I've decided to try the style out for a week and go back again if I still want it shorter.

So, my point is that a great layered haircut can do wonders if you are thinning on top.

Can any guys 30 or under who post to this thread please tag me so I can see what you have to say? Thanks! I am noticing some hair line recession at six and a half weeks out.

Can any guys 30 or under who post to this thread please tag me so I can see what you have to say? Thanks! I am noticing some hair line recession at six and a half weeks out.

Sleevy, I posted this in the Ladies room so I don't expect a lot of guys to comment. You might want to repost in the guys room. :)

@@MzB that looks great! How hard is that to work with?

Is is actually pretty easy to work with. It just has 4 clips and snaps on top of my hair/head. I do flat Iron my own hair before putting it on. Also, I have to wash and condition it once a week. The plus is that I am now able to skip a day of washing my own hair (less loss maybe?) because it covers the roots at my scalp.

I cut mine boy short. Started at bra strap length. Still thinning and coming out, so cut it short and spike it. You can really see now how thin it's gotten, but at least I don't see clumps in my tub and shower when done. I take my Vitamins daily, Biotin, B12 and Calcium. I try to get in my needed Protein but usually I'm not close to the amount needed.

@Karenlrn I am the same. I have fine hair, but lots of it. I am 6 months out and haven't really had any thinning or loss. I didn't after Lapband surgery either. I guess it is really the luck of the draw sometimes.

I don't get it, I thought if we ate our bariatric Vitamins we wouldn't lose hair?

I don't get it, I thought if we ate our bariatric Vitamins we wouldn't lose hair?

the vitamins help, if y9ure malnourished that certainly makes it worse, but it happens to most people. You're body is in shock from the rapid weightloss. It uses all the Protein and nutrients we get from our vitamins for daily functions. So hair, skin and nails get the short straw. I just went and got my hair cut short today. 9 inches cut off. :(

My hair is extremely thin and baby fine; its gotten worse over the past few years. You can see my scalp easily. I either clip it half up or use a bobby pin to keep the growing bangs out of my face. I'm nervous that after surgery I would lose a great deal of hair, if not all, if it is already this thin. I recently started Biotin (10,000 daily) but haven't noticed any change except for the massive daily headache. Any suggestions?

I got a weave two weeks before surgery so I wouldn't have to deal with my hair and it would be easier for working out. That was in May.

Last week I has my weave reinstalled for the 2nd time and noticed Hair loss at my temples. I was disappointed and upset. My hair stylist (whom I absolutely love) asked do you want the weight back or the hair? He assured me that the hair would grow back and that the weight I have lost is a great trade off for the hair I loss.

So I will continue to wear weaves for the rest of the year. I will make a decision about cutting it after than.

Thank God for weave!!!!!!!!!!

Hairloss is expected with major surgery and weight loss. Your body is reeling from all the changes and is stressed. So poof goes the hair.

I already have issues with female pattern baldness. You can clearly see my gleaming scalp at the top of my head right behind the hair line. I've been losing it since puberty hit. Maybe I'll shave it off! I may look into wigs. It might be fun to have a couple of fun wigs.