Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am trying sooooooo hard to embrace the stall. Mentally, I know that this happens. I have read every post in this forum but dang it is hard!!! I know I shouldn't weigh myself but I am down to once a week. I am 1 month post op and lost .6 lbs from last week which was .4 lb from the week before.

But it did get me to join and go the the gym today instead of just walking. I started the c25k program today as well.

I hope this breaks soon. I am getting 500 to 550 calories a day. About 65 to 67 G Protein but need to work better on the Water. Carbs are around 22 to 24. Mostly from my Vitamin chews, Protein Drink and cottage cheese.

Embrace,embrace,embrace!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Your Protein seems low. What is your protein target?

My target according to my booklet is 50 to 70 grams of Protein a day. I see a lot of people here are doing like 90 so I try to hit the higher limit. I think my dr may be more restrictive that what I see posted as I am to stick to 600 calories a day unless working out aggressively until I hit my goal weight. I have a 40 lb 3 month goal and I do not see how I will achieve that at this rate. But who knows, the stall may lift and the pounds may melt off starting next week

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

• goplay94123 Your target is even higher then mine. My Dr insists on 41 grams of Protein. I also wonder how I am suppose to meet my 90 pounds in 6 months when Protein is so low. I don't understand why this year I am seeing so many more people posting that they have lower protein ranges than what people who had surgery last year have as a range.

• goplay94123 Your target is even higher then mine. My Dr insists on 41 grams of Protein. I also wonder how I am suppose to meet my 90 pounds in 6 months when Protein is so low. I don't understand why this year I am seeing so many more people posting that they have lower protein ranges than what people who had surgery last year have as a range.

For some reason I couldn't see this post until I quoted it. Did you use a funky font or something?

For some reason when I copied and pasted the Id my words afterward came out as they did. I didn't do anything to make it that way, that I know of.

My target according to my booklet is 50 to 70 grams of Protein a day. I see a lot of people here are doing like 90 so I try to hit the higher limit. I think my dr may be more restrictive that what I see posted as I am to stick to 600 calories a day unless working out aggressively until I hit my goal weight. I have a 40 lb 3 month goal and I do not see how I will achieve that at this rate. But who knows, the stall may lift and the pounds may melt off starting next week

Sent from my iPad using the BariatricPal App

What are your surgron's long term success rates ? Do his patients keep their weight off 3-5+ years out? The reason I ask is IMO he is giving bad advice. You are going to totally screw up your metabolism if you stay at 600 calories until you hit goal. That could be many many months, even years. You will be a very slow loser because your body is in chronic starvation mode. You will be malnourished in some category because you can't possibly consume enough needed nutrients (including fruits and veggies) and stay under 600 calories for that long. Not to mention the mental strain of trying to adhere to such a restrictive diet plan.

Then when you do finally reach goal maintenance could be hell. Your metabolism will be used to functioning at such a low pace that any increase in calories will lead to regain.

Another observation....40 pounds in 3 months is a huge expectation. At your starting weight that seems a little excessive. I had lost 17 pounds at 3 months. My calories were up to 800 by then and at 1000 by 6 months. Slow but steady worked great for me and I've been able to maintain my 100% excess weight loss for a year and a half at 1400-1600 calories because I never starved myself.

Just saying if you aren't finding great success in your surgeon's plan, you may want to explore other options.

goplay94123

I mostly agree with what Kindle said. I rarely recommend anyone go against their Doctors orders but the surgery you had is a tool. Why diet? Who of us were successful with starvation diets? Maybe you misunderstood his intentions? Could you be mixing up his short term post-op orders with long term?

600 calories/day would be painful for me even shortly after my surgery. Maybe painful is overstated? Maybe extreme discomfort? At any rate, you might want to consult with your nutritionist/dietician and make sure you understand the plan your doctor has set out for you?

tmf

I plan to ask the nutritionist when she is back from maternity leave. I assume my dr knows what he is talking about as he and his ex partner speak at many conferences and when you look up who pioneered VSG his name is mentioned most. Right now I am having a hard time reaching even 600 calories. I never feel hungry so I guess I should eat more meals in between even if I am not hungry. Thanks for all of the feedback and advise. If I don't start losing I may up my calories to 800 and see. I am just starting to really work out this week so u need to increase them anyway. I am excited to start adding in some veggies and fruit. Today is the first day!!!

Sent from my iPhone using the BariatricPal App

Yes, there are dozens of ways to be successful with WLS and just because your surgeon's plan is so much different than what worked for me doesn't mean it's wrong. I apologize for any disrespect. Just keep in mind that this is YOUR journey and you can work it any way that gives you the results you are looking for.

And don't be disappointed if you aren't reaching some of those deadlines for "X" number of pounds lost by "Y" date. I just see too many people get depressed and self sabotage when those sometimes excessive goals aren't met.

my doc has my Protein at 60 mgs or higher... no more then 95 ever as that is toxic. So When I saw the higher numbers I was getting concerned. I have lost 114 pounds or so now... But I literally only eat meats and Beans.. nuts and a bit of cheese and once in awhile when I get a craving I will have a small bit of potato... cole slaw... something to break up the tastes... I lost weight fairly fast according to doc... So eating what I am eating must be working... I need to start exercising again/. Moved from Utah to Idaho falls... and that took a lot out of me... to be fair moving is not sitting arund business... and we also had to rehab and paint etc still doing that part actually done with the living room kitchen and one bathroom... have one bathroom and 3 bedrooms to go :D

@Kindle... I took all of your feedback in the spirit it was provided and i appreciate it!!

@Kindle... I took all of your feedback in the spirit it was provided and i appreciate it!!

my doc has my Protein at 60 mgs or higher... no more then 95 ever as that is toxic. So When I saw the higher numbers I was getting concerned. I have lost 114 pounds or so now... But I literally only eat meats and Beans.. nuts and a bit of cheese and once in awhile when I get a craving I will have a small bit of potato... cole slaw... something to break up the tastes... I lost weight fairly fast according to doc... So eating what I am eating must be working... I need to start exercising again/. Moved from Utah to Idaho falls... and that took a lot out of me... to be fair moving is not sitting arund business... and we also had to rehab and paint etc still doing that part actually done with the living room kitchen and one bathroom... have one bathroom and 3 bedrooms to go :D

I hope you meant grams and not milligrams.

Follow your surgeon's instructions for your situation. It sounds like you are doing great.

I would have to disagree that more than 95 grams of Protein is toxic for most people, though.

My minimum is 100 grams a day and it is working for me so far.

@@Inner Surfer Girl

Thank you for starting this fantastic thread.

Your very first post on the topic is priceless !!!

Thank you for steering me here, for support.

Also, I too wish This Thread would become a STICKY!

And thank you everyone who posted here. So helpful and full of great info and suggestions.

:) :) :)

I think it's time to bump this thread again. For all the new folks:

Stalls are a normal, natural, and necessary part of the process of losing weight. Boone loses at a constant or steady rate. Everyone stalls periodically, and most of us stall about three weeks after surgery.