Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I definitely agree that both pre-and post-op, the stall is discouraging.

I certainly remember many times hearing my doctors and weight watcher people questioning why I wasn't losing weight when I was following the plan. That is definitely when I would give up and say, if restricting my food and enduring this deprivation doesn't work, why even try.

Thankfully, now, for me, giving up isn't an option.

Now that I have learned so much more about how my body works I have more patience. It makes me so much more willing and able to see a stall as an important and necessary part of the process. Not something to be feared or avoided. Plus, I don't weigh often enough to actually observe many stalls.

On retrospect, if I knew this 30-40 years ago, I MAY have saved myself from decades of yo-yo dieting and super morbid obesity.

I agree with you so much! I am pre-op right now and I have been losing weight with some stalls. I would have messed up by now because my previous thinking would have been "I'm depriving myself for nothing." Since I can't quit because I need to keep going to have the surgery, it has taught me some patience. I'm going into my 4th month and haven't given up. Usually it's the 3rd month. Good news is I have lost about 23lbs and while it's not coming off as fast as I would like, it has taught me more patience

Sent from my SM-N910V using the BariatricPal App

Patience, polite persistence, and perseverance have been very important for me in this journey.

so glad I found this post I am in a three month stall....after reading this I realized my Protein intake is down and I have recently increased it and started a zumba class. I was sleeved march 2015 and have lost 110lbs. frustrated yes...discouraged ...HELL NO. thanks for the post

Is a 6 month stall normal? Surgeon says I'm doing everything as I should, but I'm thinking that I need to revert back to 2 Meal Replacement shakes a day with one small meat and liquids all day to restart my fat burning immediate post-surgery stage.

I guess it depends on what you are doing. Without more detail it is hard to offer suggestions.

What kind of detail would you like? I will gladly tell you.

Sent from my Z959 using the BariatricPal App

Are you tracking your food?

What is your Protein target?

How much Protein are you consuming every day?

Are you getting at least 64 oz of Fluid every day?

Are you avoiding starches, added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup), and fried foods?

Are you taking your Vitamins and supplements?

Are you practicing mindful eating: eating slowly, taking small bites, and chewing thoroughly?

Are you exercising? If so, how much?

What is your current weight? What was your starting weight?

When did you have surgery?

Have you talked to your NUT lately about your concerns? If so, what does he or she suggest?

What kind of detail would you like? I will gladly tell you.

Sent from my Z959 using the BariatricPal App

Are you tracking your food?

What is your Protein target?

How much Protein are you consuming every day?

Are you getting at least 64 oz of Fluid every day?

Are you avoiding starches, added sugars (especially high fructose corn syrup), and fried foods?

Are you taking your Vitamins and supplements?

Are you practicing mindful eating: eating slowly, taking small bites, and chewing thoroughly?

Are you exercising? If so, how much?

What is your current weight? What was your starting weight?

When did you have surgery?

Have you talked to your NUT lately about your concerns? If so, what does he or she suggest?

Yes, I am tracking my food.< p>I'm not sure what my protein target is, will verify with the NUT.

I am getting at least 64 oz of Fluid daily.

I am not totally avoiding starches, but am making the point to eat those last at my meal if I'm still hungry, which is not usually.

Yes, I am taking my Vitamins and supplements.< /p>

Yes to mindful eating, but sometimes realize I should eat slower.

Exercising 3x a week, which is more than pre-op which was zero.

My current weight is 235, started at 285.

Surgery was 10/2015.

Am awaiting a response for appt time from my NUT.

Thx for your input! :)

If you are this far out post-op and don't know what your protein target is or how much protein you are consuming, my guess is that you probably aren't eating enough protein. That could definitely contribute to a long stall.

Eating protein first, and eating enough protein, may be the first thing to focus on to "break" your stall.

Try aiming for at least 80 grams until you talk to your NUT.

Great post. Thank you for sharing this.

My personal experience with stalls:

I had surgery on 4/19/2016 and have lost 48lbs so far. I never did measure before surgery or after but I have definitely noticed it in the way my clothes fit.

Personally, I like weighing often. I weigh in once or twice a week but mainly to make sure I'm not gaining and to boost my morale and be proud of the progress I've made. I've had stalls that lasted as long as 3 weeks, but then the week after that I drop 5 to 8lbs. I've also had weeks where I've gained a pound or two and that's when I change up my routine and check to make sure I'm sleeping enough, I've been on track with my 90g a day Protein intake, it's not that "time of the month" or that I haven't gone back to some of my old eating habits like grazing or eating junk food late at night.

In my research I learned that losing weight immediately after surgery is due to better Portion Control, change in eating habits, and a drop in Water weight. Over some time, our metabolisms will regulate, and this when the stall happens. Once the metabolism adjusts to the lower weight, it will kick in again.

Your post is a perfect reminder that our bodies have evolved to hang on to fat so being patient and remaining aware of our habits and routine is always important.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using the BariatricPal App

Edited by JWalker874

You are SOOOO right, as usual! My last "stall" lasted a couple of months, broken today. I think it is most of those who have just recently had their surgery, who talk about the stalls so much. Like you said, it is part of the whole thing. And lest we forget, it is not unusual to "regain" a few pounds here and there on our path. Just the body shifting around, getting used to the new program. It's best to take things one day at a time, and as we follow our individual programs, it is important to remember that everyone is different, and we each, independently, will lose in our own way, at our own time. Your wisdom, Inner Surfer Girl, is spot on!!!! Have a great weekend, everyone!

I had surgery in April and my longest stall lasted 3 weeks. I'm glad I've been staying positive and not stressing myself out. Knowing that there might be stalls that can last months is helpful to know so when it happens I'm mentally prepared. ????

I think one of the hardest things about a stall, as I'm in one right now, is before my sleeve, this is typically when I would have thrown my hands up, and gone back to my old habits. If I'm not seeing progress, what's the point? I know that things have changed for me and I have to continue following the plan in order for the sleeve to work, but it is still frustrating, especially when the number on the scale increases.

This is so true for me too. Preop I would hold on to hope for 2 or 3 weeks and then give up on myself because the "high" and excitement of seeing the numbers drop was gone. Now, when I unconsciously go back to overeating or eating greasy stuff the pain in my stomach and digestive problems I suffer keep me honest lol. I just had mine 4 months ago and my goal is to lose 100lbs (even tho the doctor said he projects I'll lose 80lbs) I'm already at 48lbs so I'm more than happy with that. I also break my goals up so I don't focus on how much more I have to go, but how far I've come.

I'm encouraged by everyone's input on this post and their personal experiences

They projected I would lose about 80 pounds... I have far surpassed the "expectations" With this surgery you can lose as much as you want. Do not let the docs "limits" decide how much weight you can lose. I never thought I would lose anything even with the surgery I wasn't expecting much. You have the power now and the surgery is just a tool.. that helps a lot. The stalls are hard.... I ate no carbs at all... and still only get a very small amount of carbs which forced my body to burn fat and sadly muscle for energy which caused me to be able to lose such a huge amount of weight. I am not saying its easy.. It wasn't But to break that stall... you need to get your Protein at the lowest I was told 60 to 80..... no less then 60.... ever is what they nut said.... We can do this... If I can do this i know each of you can.... <3 and light...

Thanks!

I appreciate it. The visual image really helps me. Especially the idea of my body as a massive warehouse full of shelves, fork lifts, conveyor belts, and little people in hard hats running around.

LOL that made me think of Fraggle Rock and all the lil green guys :D I like that image!

They projected I would lose about 80 pounds... I have far surpassed the "expectations" With this surgery you can lose as much as you want. Do not let the docs "limits" decide how much weight you can lose. I never thought I would lose anything even with the surgery I wasn't expecting much. You have the power now and the surgery is just a tool.. that helps a lot. The stalls are hard.... I ate no carbs at all... and still only get a very small amount of carbs which forced my body to burn fat and sadly muscle for energy which caused me to be able to lose such a huge amount of weight. I am not saying its easy.. It wasn't But to break that stall... you need to get your Protein at the lowest I was told 60 to 80..... no less then 60.... ever is what they nut said.... We can do this... If I can do this i know each of you can.... <3 and light...

I completely disagree. Based on my surgeon and my experience you need to get your protein high enough so you can: stoke your metabolism and NOT burn muscle.

I completely disagree. Based on my surgeon and my experience you need to get your Protein high enough so you can: stoke your metabolism and NOT burn muscle.

I was told I would lose both no matter what I did... It sucks that every doc says thinks does something different. you would think it would be at a certain set standard... Then we all come here and were told different things... :/ Either way I am going back to the gym come winter ( when I can no longer walk outside) to gain some muscle back.... and I enjoyed lifting weights... ( i did before I had the surgery) I intend on gaining muscle back :) and hopefully some skin tightening would be awesome :)

Great advice. Sometimes we want all the weight off so bad, that we don't acknowledge and appreciate the weight that has come off.

I am thankful to be down 74 pounds. And I am earning to change how I communicate that. Over the weekend my cousin asked how much I had lost? My response was I have lost about 70 pounds but I still have 100 more to lose!

I will stop discounting my sucess today. The next time someone asks my answer will be "I have lost over 70 pounds and I look and feel great!" Period. Because that is the truth.

Yeah you are right I do the same thing now I'll just say 40 lbs....instead of of 50 more

Sent from my VS880PP using the BariatricPal App

I'm so happy to have read this post. Thank you so much for inspiring and motivating those of us who don't understand what's going on their bodies all the time. I have stalled for a little over two months, and finally am losing again. I have just made a huge milestone, 100lbs lost! But to embrace the stall...YES!!

It makes perfect sense, my body is readjusting to allow for the changes occurring now. I'm celebrating ALL the successes that I'm making, and focusing on taking every day one at a time. Thanks again, SurferGirl!!