Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting there by any means available.......UHC can kiss my........

A back injury in April of this year is to thank for getting me focused on permanent weight loss. I am grateful and thank God that this happened. I was humbled and had plenty of time to think of how I needed to get started.

It was the first time in my life that I couldn't simply cut carbs & calories and hit the treadmill hardcore for a few months and make improvements. Nope, the old back wasn't allowing that. I tried working on the calories but being limited to sleeping, sitting and hanging out really helped me find my resolve to pursue wls.

My family physician, doctor at the hyperbaric wound care facility kept after me about it (treating a leg wound that wouldn't heal on it's own), my back surgeon (who said wls could do more for me than he could) and a persistent younger sister (who had bypass 15 years ago and has lift a get and fun life ever since) all finally made sense.

I started in a program that had a great surgeon who came highly recommended. I was about 3 months into it and my insurance started throwing up barrier after barrier. All along it was known that I needed to be at a "center of excellence" which I wasn't. They'd been very understanding upfront and said that all the referrals I had would make it okay.....and that due to the comorbidities would push it through and I'd not even need to complete the full 6 months pre-op plan. Time passed and then the bullcrap started. They started throwing up every penalty flag they could. I even switched over midstream to the center of excellence credited facility they required. They still kept throwing flags.

It appeared to be a stall tactic to push my surgery approval back and the date into early 2016.

I found out why two weeks ago.....my employer is going to BCBS. It all became clear. No matter what I did would result in a stall tactic.

Screw 'em. Done with them.

I decided to self-fund this. It's that worth it to me. I'd been saving up for a new car.........oh well. My old vehicle is going to have to keep on chugging away for a few more years than I'd planned.

It was an easy decision.....a leaner and healthier body that's allowing the aches and pains to ease off vs sporting a new ride. Easy call.

I went to the surgeon's office yesterday and paid for the procedure. Done.

I have completed my pysche eval, nutritionist's workshops and counseling, surgeon appointments and etc. I have 4 hour surgeon workshop next week, and EGD and then pre-op. The date of surgery is looking like late next month.

The relief that this brought is immeasurable. Huge. Tremendous.

I didn't realize how much of a dick I'd been around home and probably at work, too. Ill tempered and cagey. Now, it's like a huge weight has been lifted.....no pun intended.

My resolve to do this has never wavered from April to now. I've been through a lot of coaching and education about the wls and feel really good about what is going to happen from this point forward.

Hopefully I'll be disguised as a recovering bypass & hernia surgery patient by the time the trick or treat candy shows up. :)

Things have fallen into place and prayers answered. I am so grateful.

Gotta head out to work, but wanted to share this. Hang in there folks......a way will be provided for you when you are truly ready.

Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry you experienced so many obstacles. At the same time, you gained so much strength and determination during that time. You focused, decided what wanted and went for it. Good job! Good luck with getting a surgery date! You have to be super proud of yourself and excited! You should be.

I hate reading how tricky the insurance can be... That sounds seriously underhanded. I'm glad you were in a position to self fund. You'll be looking so good, no one will notice the car... Just you!

Do you know if BCBS would have covered the surgery? ( I know you weren't up to jumping through the hoops of another company.. I'm just curious)

Sorry for all the trouble with your insurance. I know you must feel a huge relief that you have found a way to have your surgery!!

You will do great. Excited for you.

When I saw the title of this post I held my breath! After all I have been reading your posts since you joined and I certainly did not want to hear that insurance denied you and you were giving up.

That happens to so many people and I knew how badly you wanted to change your life.

I am so very glad that you have the opportunity to do that now and trust me, you won't want to be anywhere near that Halloween candy so soon after surgery! You will likely have 6 months before you even care about Halloween candy! Just in time for Easter! LOL I am just kidding!

Keep us posted on your progress! Best of luck!

I'm never ceased to be amazed at how hard insurance fights us on this issue, especially with all the evidence that it will save them money down the line in extended medical costs.

So happy you were able to go the self pay route. For many that's not even an option. Congrats and I sincerely hope your surgery comes soon!

Congratulations!!! I just cannot understand the insurance world. We pay all of this money in premiums and they still get to decide how or when or if we are able to use our own insurance to improve our lives. The worst part about it is there is nothing we can do about it. I'm so glad you were able to still find a way to have your surgery. Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks everyone.

It's been frustrating....and the misinformation on the part of the folks I was dealing with at UHC really got me steamed up.

Things worked out....as they often do when we just put it in God's hands and ask for help......and listen carefully as our prayers are answered. All I can say is that I sense of peace and relief has come and I feel like an entirely new person these last few days.

Now it's crunch time. I've got to work as hard as I can and gather the discipline to do what I've been advised by my surgeon to do......begin the modified liquid diet now.....and hump it hard to lose 50 lbs before surgery.

I know I can do it and I know every ounce of weight off and every mile walked between now and then will better ensure a good result with surgery.

Time to choke down a Protein shake an grab a shower and get to my job. Working this weekend (great place to walk a few miles each day, too).

I hate reading how tricky the insurance can be... That sounds seriously underhanded. I'm glad you were in a position to self fund. You'll be looking so good, no one will notice the car... Just you!

Do you know if BCBS would have covered the surgery? ( I know you weren't up to jumping through the hoops of another company.. I'm just curious)

It's been too early to tell at the moment. We'll have our open enrollment in a few weeks. I guess I'll be able to see then.

Even if it becomes a covered event, I'm expecting the 6 month pre-op supervised diet to be in place. I may or may not get credit for the appointments already made....not sure.

It would certainly push the surgery back to some time in 2016.....a minimum of 3-4 months after the surgery date I'm already set for.

I was certainly tempted to hold off a bit and wait and see......but looking at how the surgeon's schedule meshed with my work schedule there was an ideal date available next month. I thought about it.....went outside and prayed about it......and the logic of proceeding now....right now.....just lined up like a path outa the dark woods.

I can say that with absolute certainty that I have no regrets about pulling the trigger now and going for it.

The 2007 Nissan truck will just have to keep on chugging away for a few more years. It'll get some relief as the load behind the driver's seat will be reduced real soon. :P

Wow Dub! I am so sorry this happened. But just wanted to say your determination and faith is such an inspiration to me! You got this man! Can't wait to see your progress and continue to watch your journey!

Hey Dub, my car is a 2000, if it's any consolation. ????

Good for you Dub. You have been working to hard for this and it sounds like your prayers are answered. Reminds me I need to be doing some praying over this as well. Hope you have the very best results ever! You have got it nailed!

Good for you Dub. You have been working to hard for this and it sounds like your prayers are answered. Reminds me I need to be doing some praying over this as well. Hope you have the very best results ever! You have got it nailed!

Thank you.

I feel really peaceful about the road ahead.

Started using a Fitbit One yesterday. 4,489 steps. Way off the 10K daily goal, but nowhere to go but up.

Stayed under 1,000 calories consumed during a hectic workday.

Hey Dub, my car is a 2000, if it's any consolation.

:D Keep the oil changed and let 'em roll is what I"m hoping will work on our Nissans.

@@Dub So sorry to hear about all of your problems with UHC. I have been watching you for months now, and I am so glad to hear you found a way to get the surgery in spite of the problems. I know you will be happy in your choice. Your personal strength, as well as your faith, are an inspiration to all of us.

@@Dub So sorry to hear about all of your problems with UHC. I have been watching you for months now, and I am so glad to hear you found a way to get the surgery in spite of the problems. I know you will be happy in your choice. Your personal strength, as well as your faith, are an inspiration to all of us.

Thank you very much.

That means a lot.

I'm getting closer to being ready in my head, too. This train is certainly pulling the last leg of the uphill run......and about to gain serious momentum once it passes over the peak.