Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello! I am Cathryn and I live in Georgia! I am a 'Lightweight' with less than 100 lbs to lose. This post deals with my reasons for VSG.

In my opinion my weight problems are genetically predisposed, although lifestyle can and does change that outcome. In my family we ate when celebrating anything family related (birthdays, holidays, promotions, graduations, everything). I think it's on me that I eat when I'm bored or stressed.

My mother was overweight and had gestational diabetes while pregnant with me (I'm the youngest and she had me in her early 30's). Later, she was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and began Synthroid pills. In her 40's she was diagnosed with full blown type II diabetes and began taking one insulin shot a day. Then she progressed to taking two insulin shots per day. By the time I was in my first year of college, she had her first TIA stroke. It caused her to slur her speech a bit but that improved with speech therapy. She had a major stroke in 2007 that created stiffness on her right side and short term memory delays. She had another stroke in 2009 and she was diagnosed with Parkinson's with Dementia. She hadn't remembered who I was since sometime in 2012.

This entire time, my father was doing everything he could to take care of her. He still worked full-time and used Medicaid/Medicare plus his work insurance to cover things for her. He also smoked since he was 14.

He went to the emergency room in March of 2015 with possible pneumonia and was diagnosed with lung cancer that had spread to every bone in his body and also to his liver. He was given weeks to live. My mother and father moved in with me on my birthday at the end of March. My father was on Hospice and my mother came because there was no other options and I wanted to keep them together if my dad only had weeks to live. My father passed away at home at the end of April.

I took care of my mother for the next month and a half but she eventually contracted aspiration pneumonia due to the severe swallowing problems she had. She went to the hospital for almost two weeks before going to a nursing home using Medicare. I visited and continued taking care of the paperwork and phone calls. My brothers and I discussed the option of using a feeding tube to support her nutritionally but we decided against the operation. Mom lasted until the beginning of August 2015.

I am 29 years old. Earlier this year, my doctor prescribed Synthroid for a sub-clinical case of hypothyroidism (I think that's the one). I have tried calorie reduction, weight watchers, Atkins, and general low carb to no avail. My BMI is 34. I am considered pre-diabetic and also have high cholesterol. I also take anti-depressants since the birth of my daughter.

But my daughter will not have to go through these horrible situations or make terrible decisions for my wellbeing. Ever.

And my number one best option for losing the weight is having a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy.

So I am a self-pay patient as my insurance is Obama-care and doesn't cover weight loss surgery. I am going to use Dr. Ramos Kelly in Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico. I am currently in the process of scheduling a date but I am hopeful for Thanksgiving or before. My husband is still nervous about my decision but understands that I've done the research and am making an informed decision.

So that's it. My reasons. I will not put my daughter through the emotional turmoil that I have had to endure. This includes not only losing weight to be healthy but also setting up legal documents so that she won't have to make decisions without knowing what I or my husband wants. I've recommended to all of my friends that the third best gift they can give their children is not putting them through the agony of making healthcare or financial decisions without any guidance. The first is the gift of being alive and there, the second is the gift of reading, and the third is the gift of confidence in a bad situation.

Welcome Cathryn! Your story is very touching & I can relate to in home care as I did that for my grandmother for some time before she passed 4 years ago.

As for your VSG & your own health, I am diabetic (now controlled) and that was the primary reason for my sleeve. My father is diabetic, and his mother before him. He is insulin dependent & takes 3 shots each day. I was terrified of having to do that & unfortunately that is the direction I was headed. 2 hours after my surgery my glucose tested at 99 and has been normal ever since. It has been almost 4 months and I do not regret a thing!!!

I applaud your bravery & taking charge of your life. Best of luck & I can't wait to hear more of your journey!

I also care for my dementia affected dad. Thankfully. I have help.

I second the notion of having something WRITTEN about what you want at your life's end. Please do not make your loved ones guess about DNR. Or where your final resting spot may be . It eases everyone's mind to do what you wanted????⭐️

Mrs Rustbel4t1... Glad to hear about your diabeties. This is why I am having the sleeve put in. You give hope of being off meds soon. In fact my doctore trold me I will be off Insulin the day of the surgery. Now will have to look forward of getting the rest of my meds gone.

xlawman

Hello all! I figured I ought to check in and post a bit of an update. I've spoken with Dr. Kelly's patient coordinator and I was told that it shouldn't be a problem to have surgery the week of Thanksgiving. But I'm still waiting for a confirmation from the doctor himself. I've been doing a lot more research and ordered the Kindle version of The Big Book on the Gastric Sleeve. It's been great to learn more and I'm still sure that this is the right decision for me.

My husband and I spoke more in depth and he asked the number one question that I think people wonder about. Why can't you just eat less and exercise more to lose weight? I asked him, if he thought I could do that then why haven't I already done it? I told him it's not that I physically can't do it. It's not physical, it's all mental. It's a little easier mentally when you have a very very good reason to follow the 'rules'. Like the possibility of hurting yourself.

I still haven't weighed myself. Mostly because I really don't want to see that number.

I'm sure I'll post again either when I get an official date or if I determine that it's been too long since the last!

Thanks for reading!

Hello notgonnabelikemymom. So sorry to hear about your family. I live in GA also and have my heart settled on Dr. Ramos Kelly. I'm also trying to pick a date for my surgery. I'm thinking about the week after Christmas. Hope to follow you on your journey. Please keep us all updated!

It's official! On November 25th I will be having vertical sleeve gastrectomy surgery in Tijuana, Mexico with Dr. Ramos Kelly! I'm super excited and impatient for the time to pass! There's a lot to set up in between though because I need to finish up some legal documents and have another vacation planned. I think I'm also going to go ahead and have some dental stuff done before then to just get it out of the way.

Beautiful story. Your reasons for the surgery are wonderful and similar to mine. I'm only 22, and I had the surgery for my future. For my children when I have kids 10 years from now. So they don't struggle like me, so they never have to see me die from something like obesity. My father (heavyset) had a stroke, my entire family was fat. And unless we are the ones to break that trend, change our life... our kids will go through what we have. And I just couldn't wish that on them. You are a true role model and I wish you good luck with your surgery. Prayers for you and your family- you are making the right decision.