Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello everyone. My surgery is over. I did not end up with a sleeve though, instead I got a mini gastric bypass. Surgeon said when he opened me up I had a huge hernia. And had he given me a sleeve I likely would have suffered major heartburn for life.

I'm still not being permitted to get out of bed. Pain was very bad for first few hours post-op. But is quite tolerable now.

I o have a drain in. But it is not causing any discomfort. I really want to get up and walk around. So im hoping they let me soon. Not hungry at all but a drink of Water would be nice.

Take care everyone. I will be in touch soon.

I had a surgery of about 1 1/2 hours on Tues Sep 22. No big problems so far. I thank God that HE was there for me throughout the procedure as were many of you! Much appreciated the prayers and support.

As soon as I could get up from the surgery I was out there walking the halls, walked about every 2 hours and when i woke up at night I would walk again. So far not much gas and mainly coming out through burps right now, but I can only hope that ends up being the case!

I stayed on Zophran and Diladud most of my time in the hospital. I believe that keeping my pain at bay early on was a key to getting to feeling better sooner. I went home about 10:30 am today (Thursday) so was only in the hospital from noon on Tuesday until about 10 this morning.

The suggestion from one of the posters to bring Biotene was excellent idea! That helped me keep it together and not drink anything else before the leak test was performed.

If I try to drink more than one once of liquid at a time, I feel a lot of pressure on my chest warning me to stop putting any more liquid in.

The worse pain has been consistent with the others - in the lower left part of my abdomen. By today however, if I lean still back in a recliner or on the hospital bed I feel very little pain. Arising from that position to get up or sit up more though, really hurts.

So helpful hints learned from others:

- Drink very slowly

- Walk as much as you can

- Use Biotene spray the help from the mouth iciness that with being dehydrated.

OK new issue which was totally unexpected based on what I have read from other posts, I have had very watery diarrhea (about 20 times over the last 24 hours). I haven't had any solid foods for several weeks so there is no solid material there at all, just raining liquid from my behind (and my behind very sore from all the action). My temperature is running at about 99 to 100F the last couple of days and for me, normal is about 97F.

I called the doctor and he said to keep an eye on things and call him if anything got worse. He said that he hasn't had any patients to complain that diarrhea, but that Constipation is called out a lot. I do have a spastic colon so I am thinking maybe my gastrointestinal system is very unhappy with me right now and letting me know! My period also started yesterday (a week early), which I am assuming is staying in alliance with my gastrointestinal system!

I am able to walk more without any pain but still have pain on lower left abdomen usually when I am getting up or down.

I'm hanging in there as are all of you because I know based on your posts, chances are high that things will get much better soon.

All this talk about post op is making me feel left out :)

Anybody else gearing up for surgery last few days of Sept start of October? ?

Hello everyone. My surgery is over. I did not end up with a sleeve though, instead I got a mini gastric bypass. Surgeon said when he opened me up I had a huge hernia. And had he given me a sleeve I likely would have suffered major heartburn for life.

I'm still not being permitted to get out of bed. Pain was very bad for first few hours post-op. But is quite tolerable now.

I o have a drain in. But it is not causing any discomfort. I really want to get up and walk around. So im hoping they let me soon. Not hungry at all but a drink of Water would be nice.

Take care everyone. I will be in touch soon.

Can you explain what a mini gastric bypass is?

Surgery was the morning of. 9/23. Doc would have let me leave the next day, but I felt better staying one more day. I had nausea the first day or so, but it is gone now. I get twinges of pain and some gurgling when I drink. Everything stays down, so far.

I need help I am almost 3 weeks post op and still at same weight as after one week... What am I doing wrong?

Are you following your doctor's diet? What are you eating?

@keentravller...I'm have surgery Monday too! Smh! Can't believe it's time! Nervous and excited! Can't wait to tell my success stories!!

technically i'm an interloper here in the September sleevers category. My surgery is on October 1st, but as we all know that means the majority of the prep has been September's work. I just posted on the October sleeves section and i think i will paste it in here too as this thread seems to have infinitely more life. The 29th is today @@Reetz8 so hopefully you'll read this before surgery.

Best of irish luck to you! May your weight slide off you like hot butter on a griddle and may your recovery be speedy and uneventful.

Here follows my October sleever entry

Hi guys. Today is Tuesday and I am due to go to hospital for my operation tomorrow.

I live in Ireland and will be traveling to the hospital tomorrow and getting knifed on Thursday morning the first of October. I am having my surgery semi privately. It is paid for by my insurance, but happening in a public hospital. That's how Ireland rolls I'm told. :)

I've been on liver shrinkage for the last three weeks and i've honestly found my groove with it. I am not always hungry and i find it fairly manageable. The only thing i'm having difficulty with is getting in my three Protein Shakes every day. I'd say I average around the two mark with occasional third ones. I'm just not hungry after i have my dinner these days..... go fig.

I've lost quite a bit of weight during the three weeks of shrinkage. I don't know exactly how much as we don't have a scales at home, but definitely a bit. My friends, family, acquaintances and veritable strangers are all mentioning it to me for the last two weeks.

Right now i'm a little scared and the occasional person has said "sure if you can do it now do you really need the surgery?". Honestly that gets to me. While I know the statistics and enough related to weight loss to fill myself a small- medium sized book there is still a side of me that wonders if this is the right choice. I'm fairly certain it is, but the doubts are getting a bit louder and brasher the closer I get to the surgery date. Natural enough really.

Either way it's all ahead of me and rather soon to be honest. Last night I was attending a rehearsal for a play. It was happening at a community/sports complex type building. As I was walking in the door a group of youths old enough to know better were congregated outside clearly after some sort of sporting thing. As i walked past there was a chorus of look at the state of him walking in there etc. I'd like to think it wasn't me, but i'm fairly sure it was. I find it hilarious that i can still manage to get myself bullied as a 33 year old man and it literally makes my blood boil that in that moment walking in the door I said to myself "i'll show them in a few months time"... they literally do not matter. These are people who have no actual manners and what i can only believe are piss poor parents but yet they wriggle and squirm under my skin.

I can not however deny that this has steeled my will somewhat yet it vexes me to the bone that it is one of the reasons i am having surgery the day after tomorrow. I'm tired of being stared at. 33 years is enough. I've had enough. I am full.

So heres to the changes. I plan to give another update tomorrow. If anybody else is going through this process then feel free to get in touch.

I love you all and am so proud of each and every one of you for changing your lives what ever your reasons.

See you soon

Des x

Edited by Desmond Longbottom

@@Desmond Longbottom - thanks for sharing!

I too have had many doubts about the surgery (even the last week after having the surgery when I was having a particularly hard time with pain management, drinking without having that pain in my upper chest, etc)) but when I think back to my lifetime of struggle with weight, I know in my heart that this is what I need to be successful at permanent weight loss.

For those youth, shame on them! I imagine their parents taught them better but since they feel they got away with it, they are high on being hateful towards others. Just shows their immaturity and need to make themselves feel better by putting people down.

My prayers and thoughts are with you as you move on to the next stage of your life!