Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking of Sleeve instead of Lapband

I have been convinced for three months to have lapband. Since I listened to my surgeons seminar, I am seriously considering the sleeve. I am 224 lbs, 5'4, and am diabetic and have high blood pressure. Will you tell my why you chose the sleeve? Why should I choose it over lapband? Thank you in advance for your replies :)

I chose it because my surgeon wouldn't put in lap bands anymore. He said he stopped because he was taking more out due to complications than putting them in. He felt they have long term issues.

And when I really started thinking about it, if I really wanted to commit to changing my life, I needed a permanent solution versus a reversible solution.

I chose it because it seemed to have the best risk vs benefit ratio for me.

My cousin who had the lapband told me that if she did it again she would have the sleeve.

And, my surgeon has had great results with the sleeve and no longer does lapbands.

I didn't like the idea of a foreign object staying inside until a complication caused it to be removed. I really haven't noticed a lot of difference pre surgery compared to now except I don't eat as much and I really don't feel hungry.

I knew I did not want to be re-routed with a gastric bypass, so I asked my primary doctor if I was a good candidate for a lap band. I had not even heard of a sleeve until I made that first visit to the bariatric clinic. No port? I decided then and there that the sleeve was for me.

Both of the surgical groups near me no longer perform this year procedure. More problems than good. I also didn't like he thought of needing constant adjustments where someone needs to stick a needle in my abdomen. Also a port in my stomach, I'm trying to get rid of lumps in at area, not add a new one. Good luck with your decision and surgery.

I had lapband for 7 years..then complications where they had to remove it. Now having sleeve on 8/26. My doc doesn't even do the band anymore because of the complications. Sleeve is new rage... Bypass is #1... I like sleeve because I will still have a stomach. Lapband can slip and cause a lot of scar tissue

Hi There well I can tell you from my point I only had my lap band 2 years and boy I wish I would have listened to my Dr !! I just thought well it can be taken out its the least invasive lol Well it's not really cutting or moving anything Haha!! How Dumb was I, the worst thing I every did to myself I am 5'1 started at 230 and now 206 lol did not need a lap band to lose that I only lost most of that because I'm on Meds for headaches

Also, with my band I can't eat good food it sucks I can eat crap but if I want to have say a piece of chicken and a salad or steamed broccoli nope gets stuck and I throw up but if I want chips and dip no problem makes no sense so good food don't work can't live like this so for 2 years we have been playing with fills in and out but it's just not working I hate it my husband and I will be out to dinner and I have two bites of food and I run to the bathroom and I'm throwing up it is no way to live!

So now my team with my dr is going to take it out and do a sleeve all at one time so if you ever want to know more about the lap band just ask

Good luck

I chose it because the thought of throwing up warm food when I would eat too much was unpleasant.

I had the band since 2003. I finally had it removed in February of this year. It was great at first. Then it slipped. I had that repaired then it actually started forming its own scar tissue where the band is. So no Fluid and I was soooooo tight in restriction. Then I had it replaced hoping that would solve it. Nope. Formed scar tissue again. I never had Fluid in the whole time the second one was in pace. I would aspirate in my lungs at night due to reflux that was so horrible. Waking up from a dead sleep choking and my lungs would be on fire. I had to sleep propped up or I would get reflux so bad. I dreaded going to bed! Now that it is out and I have had time to heal. I can sleep on my stomach and I am so happy!!! I will be getting sleeved September 2nd and am so stinking excited! Everyone is different on how your body reacts to something. But I am hearing more and more about how the bands are failing over time. Good luck with your decision!!!

I am sorry I didn't go with the sleeve to start with. I chose the band at first because it wasn't a permanent solution that couldn't be reversed. Big mistake. I could no longer eat chicken or turkey in any shape, sort or form. 2 years in I started throwing up everything including liquids. I couldn't get adjusted properly with the fills. I had to go every 8 weeks for adjustments. The port would move inside and scrape across a nerve and make me scream. Or my son would poke my and hit the port and OUCH!

I don't regret having revision surgery at all. I'm much happier with the sleeve.