Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have had many ups and downs after this surgery. Was completely sick for the first couple weeks then on week 5 had my gallbladder taken out. could not eat for a week after that. My hair is was falling out and my nails were breaking off. Now I am where I can eat and drink and take Vitamins like I am suppose to. So hopefully all of that will get better. But the not being able to drink while you eat is freaking killing me. I am one who chokes very easy and I would take a sip of drink (Water, tea, whatever) anytime I ate anything. Now I can not drink anything while I eat and I can not stand it. And yes I knew this before the surgery and I knew this would be my biggest problem but I just wanted to vent for a second so there I did it.

And another thing............. how is it anyone else's business at the restaurant if I do not have a drink or if Im taking small bites and then do not eat but 3 bites of my food. Hey strange dude that I do not know. You did not pay for my food I did. If I wanna only take 3 bites then that's what Ill do. (I did not waste it, I did give to hubby)

Totally get it. I now just let them bring me a Water - it saves a lot of confusion :) HATE not being able to take a small sip with meals. It does get a little easier (in my vast 5 months of experience). Hang in there!!

Edited by deetz71

Thanks, I am 2 months out now and that's my biggest thing. I do normally get Water but this place only has bottles and charges you 2.50 for it. And its purified and I don't like that so not like I would have even saved for later. This guy wasn't even a waiter or someone who should be paying attention to things. He was a guy at the table next to me.

I realllllllllllllllly want some soda!!!

Try to super-hydrate before a meal if you can, especially if your meal is soon after a workout. That greatly lessens my urge to try to wash down any food with Water during the meal. The next time I want Water tends to be right around the 30 minutes after my last bite, which is fabulous.

I, too, miss the clicking and clacking of fresh crispy ice cubes up against a frosty glass during a meal. But if you've got some time, try to satisfy that right when you sit down, and if the restaurant is busy enough, you might have around 30 minutes before you see any food in front of you anyhow.

Someone actually said something to you? I do take sips of Water with my food. Sips mind you. I'm 2 1/2 years out, I forgot why we aren't supposed to drink with our meals. Things seem to always get stuck going down.

i will have to try that. You know it is weird and so much has changed in just 2 months.

i am down right at 40 pounds but i cant see it at all. And i get in my head sometimes. Its like if Im still gonna be fat why cant I have that beer or coke or even Water. And yes I know... it takes time and 40 pounds is a lot and blah blah blah. But i still get i my own head. Dang me. lol.

i have yet to decide if I am happy with my choice to have the surgery. I have been through a lot with this these last 2 months so if the clock were to turn back right this second and i could remember this i would not do it again. But i know in a couple months I will have forgot and all the pain and the sickness and be skinny (or closer to) and be like heck yeah sign me up.

You'll be glad you did it. Congratulation on the weight loss. BTW, I only sip Water with meals and hardly any at all.

NOW I remember why no liquids. You can basically wash the food away. No food. No nutrients.

I sip Water at a meal. Even then it's probably only 4 or 5 sips. And the guy at the next table? If he's overweight (even just a little bit) tell him you have had bariatric surgery & he might give it a try! I know, I have a totally warped sense of humor. I am upfront with telling people I have a sleeve & I've haven't had any ugly comments. Eveyone has been supportive & even curious. I give them my surgeon's number if they need it.

NOW I remember why no liquids. You can basically wash the food away. No food. No nutrients.

I ACTUALLY GET SICK IF I TRY TO DRINK Water WHILE EATING EVEN IF IT IS JUST A SIP.

I sip Water at a meal. Even then it's probably only 4 or 5 sips. And the guy at the next table? If he's overweight (even just a little bit) tell him you have had bariatric surgery & he might give it a try! I know, I have a totally warped sense of humor. I am upfront with telling people I have a sleeve & I've haven't had any ugly comments. Eveyone has been supportive & even curious. I give them my surgeon's number if they need it.

Yeah, he is. And I told him I got the surgery and the rules and he seemed to really listen its just..... hello Im eating don't look at me and Don't talk to me. lol.

@@CANDI254

I get sick, but it's not the Water. I eat to fast and don't chew enough.

@@CANDI254

I get sick, but it's not the Water. I eat to fast and don't chew enough.

That's my problem to sometimes, I try to eat slow but I only get 30 mins for lunch. So I cant really take my time.

Bout to head out to Doc apt. Will be the first time in 2 weeks Ive stepped on a scale and not really looking forward to it. I feel like I have lost nothing. I actually feel like they may tell me Ive gained. :(

@@CANDI254

Good luck! Let us know how things go.

:( only 4 pounds in 2 weeks.