Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just posing a question, not looking for an argument

I chose the band because I wasn't comfortable with my insides being rearranged or removed. I like that it requires upkeep. I like that I will have to meet with my surgeon routinely to check on the band/my progress. I discussed, with my surgeon, the band bashing and how people always say their surgeon doesn't do them anymore. He said in his practice, the band complications have not out numbered the complications of other surgeries.

Like I said, each person has to do what is best for them. Research, research, research, and talk to peope, watch YouTube, whatever it takes to get you fully informed and comfortable with your decision.

My hubby is still not sure about my surgery, neither is my best friend. They both think it is too drastic, that I should try ANOTHER diet. No thank you. That is why I am at the point I am at now.

wondering if Band is on the way out

@@laguerr13

direct answer IMHO

i think lapband is on the way out

gone sooner than later

"my" opinion

I made a mistake "ONCE"

i thought i was wrong :lol::D

many doctors choose not to perform the lapband

soon my surgeon would stop doing lapband all together

too many "issues"/problems

i asked tentative surgeon

his opinion lapband vs sleeve

response was that he rarely did the lapband anymore

lapband can be successful for some people for a while/ years

the true test is years down the road if a prob occurs (like erosion,)

covering my new and improved small/gone asssss :lol:

always 2 sides of a coin

many lapsters have and will continue to be successful :)

@@Alex Brecher is a good example of great results with the lapband :)

i think he is pushing 10 years of happiness/success with his band :rolleyes:

sleeve has few issues (gerd can be very bad)

but down the road who knows? :blink:

looking in my "crystal ball" ;)

i do not see problems with the sleeve :)

99% (think thats the right %)

of sleevers are successful

i have llllloved and will continue to love my sleeve of 3.5 years and counting :rolleyes:

i am healthy and happy, enjoying life at GOAL

to alllll sleevers and lapsters - good luck with your decision of WLS

laguerr13, you've had wonderful success with your sleeve :)

over 100 lbs lost!! :rolleyes:

keep up the good work

i'm sure you will :)

kathy

congrats

When I first considered weight loss surgery. I had made up my mind about getting the band. After speaking with my primary doctor and my surgeon they both agreed the sleeve was the way to go. I had my sleeve surgery 3 months ago. I have since lost 52 pounds. This was the best decision I made. I had no complications at all. My only regret is Not doing this sooner.

I originally had the band done with "True Results". It was a big pain in the ass. I lost about 40 gained lost gained. It was still a struggle. Having to get adjustments really sucked eventually it just was not restrictive and I could eat anything. Turned out the band had a leak. So it was either fix it or convert it. I was tired of the struggle and didn't want to go through the same thing.

My friend had the band 6 years ago. She never quite got down to ideal weight. She was about 25 pounds away according to the charts at her lowest. She is now more like 30 pounds. She looks fine. I think she would have preferred more weight loss but she did lose 80 pounds and 80% of her excess weight.

When I was considering bariatric surgery she really discouraged me from getting the band due to the issues she has. She still gets things "stuck". She still vomits periodically. She will make a batch of chicken on Sunday night for her lunch for the week. On Monday she is fine to eat it. Tues it just won't go down, Weds it is fine again. It isn't consistently the same things that will cause problems. It can be things she has eaten fine for weeks.

On one of her follow-ups with her surgeon he said his practice no longer will install bands and they are removing so many due to complications, many of these get revised to sleeve.

My surgeon recently retired from bariatric surgery and he was still performing bands but only if the patient really did not want the sleeve or bypass. The other surgeon at that facility no longer does bands.

I think over time you will see fewer and fewer bands performed and I think there will be insurance companies that will approve sleeve or bypass but exclude band coverage.

I think that the band appealed to some people because if you have complications it can be removed. The sleeve isn't exactly reversible. However, an aquaintence had so much scar tissue from her band she still has a stricture where the band used to be.

I remember one of the selling points from when I had looked at bariatric surgery about 7 years ago was that for young women they could have some or all of the fill taken out while they were pregnant and breastfeeding when they had higher nutritional needs. They could then get the fill added back once they delivered.

It was a long hard process to decide to get my sleeve versus bypass, or band, but after seeing both here and in my experiences in talking with fellow bypass vets, why are they still allowing the Band procedure?

I keep seeing alot of negative reports and alot of conversions from band to sleeve, or bypass, my preference was sleeve because I didn't want a portal under my skin and having adjustments made often, and I didn't choose the bypass because I was in fear of altering my whole abdominal system, so why the Band still????

I'd love to hear from Banders and would humbly listen to any point of view!!!

I think it's pretty simple. For some the band is compelling since it's fully reversible.

For those who went with sleeve vs band it's simple as well. The band is risky, can move, has the port and is less effective. It's also not a permanent change.

Going with the sleeve was an easy choice for me. Relatively little risk for high reward.

My husband had the band, also participated in a research study where they fold in your stomach and suture it to make it smaller. I noticed in 2012 when we went to his seminar they were pushing lap bands because of this research study. But at my seminar June 2015 they werent pushing one particular surgery but informing us about all the options including weight loss statistics and the facts. I chose to go with the sleeve (surgery will be in November) because of watching what my husband has gone thru. I do not have the will power my husband has, therefore I wanted my stomach removed. He has had lots of issues of things getting stuck (dry meat) If I had to guess people choose lap band because it is the least complicated surgery. My husband said if he had to choose all over again he would definitely go with the sleeve.

Getting the band was a BIG MISTAKE.I have had the band since 2004.At that time it was band or bypass...that was it....I desperately want a revision to a sleeve.

The band is appealing for many reasons, but based on my personal experience was actually much harder to live with then say the sleeve. So, I suspect that the band being lower risk at time of surgery remains a very compelling story... for patients as well as the surgeons! However, some of us really suffered from the "less serious" complications. For me, the constant getting stuck when eating dense Protein drove me to eat sliders... and caused alot of social embarrassment. I dont think surgeons really understand those sort of "complications"
very well.

And let's be honest - fills and unfills are an ongoing revenue subscription....

Yes insurance companies should be glad to revise band to.......less money for them in the longrun.

desperately want revision to sleeve

@@Pinkgirl1234

sorry for your problems with the band :(

is the revision to the sleeve in process? :blink:

do you have approval???

date??

inquiry minds want to know ;)

kathy

I originally researched and thought I wanted the band (seemed less invasive with a quicker recovery period). Though my surgeon offers both, he presents more cons with the band and claims that the band is on the way out. My insurance company will cover only 1 wls in my lifetime and I am not willing to take the risks that the band poses - slipping, erosion. The more I continue to read, research, and log on to this sight, the more convinced I am that the permanence of the sleeve is the best option for me. I am looking forward to being sleeved on September 8.

My surgeon and his associates won't band anymore.....Man, I hope I don't see this about the sleeve 5 years from now!! ;)

Yes that's why I am trying to research...the sleeve

Longterm results and outcomes.