Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 days post op... I am hungry?!

Hi all, I am hungry, 4 days post op i am craving the sun and the moon. how do I stop this, is my sleeve not working?

Are you taking something for stomach acid? Acid can be mistaken for hunger.

I had the same feeling the 2nd day post op. I am 11 days now and still slightly craving, and slightly hungry, but not like day 2-9, so it will get better. my fear is when we can eat regular food, will i have wrong choices, i better not. Drinking as much as you can did help also, good luck

Are you taking something for stomach acid? Acid can be mistaken for hunger.

Yeah it has to be--- i made tuna salad. scoffed down 2 ozs and had like a chest attack, probably dumping syndrome, cause gasses came out from my throat, my heart beated fast and i phantomed vomited in the bathroom. So yeah maybe i am not hungry.

I had the same feeling the 2nd day post op. I am 11 days now and still slightly craving, and slightly hungry, but not like day 2-9, so it will get better. my fear is when we can eat regular food, will i have wrong choices, i better not. Drinking as much as you can did help also, good luck

Ahh ok so its not only me, thanks! I will drink a lot

I was starving. For the first 2 months after surgery. Yes I was on omeprezole. No it was not head hunger. I was so upset bc that was one of the things I was looking forward to after surgery. No more hunger. Some people say they are never hungry. That was never me. It was this awful hunger that I could hardly stand..... And then it stopped. Once I started eating foods and balancing my calories through the day. It did go away. So don't give up. Keep sticking with the plan your doc has and you will get through it. It's normal. :)

You're eating tuna at 4 days postop?? Wow.

Just shows you the vast difference in surgeon's instructions. I'm on Clear liquids for one week, all liquids for one week, purees for two weeks... I don't even get tuna until more than a month out from surgery.

What IS your surgeon's eating plan?

Edited by Sharon1964

Wow. I agree, tuna on day four is unusual. I had 1 week Clear Liquids, 1 week full liquids, 1 week soft, and then I was allowed fish in week 4.

The reaction you had to the tuna salad would have me believe it's way too early.

Omg I couldn't eat tuna either had exactly the same thing happen except I was like 4-6 weeks before I tried it may be just too soon for you to try that at only four days after surgery your still very swollen inside for myself it was closer to three months before I could really eat meat or fish and not have that feeling like it was in your throat etc I basically had Soups broths cottage cheese eggs Jello puddings little bit of ground meats for close to two months be careful don't hurt yourself eating things too soon

I was eating tuna in the hospital on day 2 haha. The only way we could be discharged is if we could tolerate cream Soups and tuna salad. And right off the bat back home we are eating puréed / mush. It's the doctors orders. I've been tolerating tuna salad and eggs very well.

It says month 1 soft purred mush

Month 2 solid foods.

We got no one week liquid / full liquid etc. Cause again right off the bat to get discharged we had to tolerate cream soups, and tuna salad at the hospital

Wow. I agree, tuna on day four is unusual. I had 1 week clear liquids, 1 week full liquids, 1 week soft, and then I was allowed fish in week 4.

The reaction you had to the tuna salad would have me believe it's way too early.

Oh I was fine eating tuna it's just I was so hungry yesterday I scoffed it down as opposed to taking my time so it all came back up

Edited by wagyu

Omg I couldn't eat tuna either had exactly the same thing happen except I was like 4-6 weeks before I tried it may be just too soon for you to try that at only four days after surgery your still very swollen inside for myself it was closer to three months before I could really eat meat or fish and not have that feeling like it was in your throat etc I basically had Soups broths cottage cheese eggs Jello puddings little bit of ground meats for close to two months be careful don't hurt yourself eating things too soon

That's funny. I don't know if I'm swollen or not I had a terrible day 1 and 2 then a super breeze after.

Okay, astonished minds want to know... where did you have your surgery??

New York, by one of the leading guys/ practices here. They pioneered single incision technique and a bunch of other techniques. Practically -- new yorks go to practice. The hospital we went to is one of the top in New York. Why?

Edited by wagyu

I asked because if the hospital told me I couldn't leave without eating tuna or any food, I would have signed out AMA and left anyway. In my experience, that is f-ing crazy. In your experience, it works for you. I, and I'm sure many others, are simply astonished. Your stomach has had no healing time and they're making it do work. Your body doesn't even NEED food at this point, why give it food. It needs fluids.

I guess it works for them.

I asked because if the hospital told me I couldn't leave without eating tuna or any food, I would have signed out AMA and left anyway. In my experience, that is f-ing crazy. In your experience, it works for you. I, and I'm sure many others, are simply astonished. Your stomach has had no healing time and they're making it do work. Your body doesn't even NEED food at this point, why give it food. It needs fluids.

I guess it works for them.

Oh yeah of course you couldn't leave! They need to monitor you so your sleeve is ok to tolerate mush and stuff. Id be horrified if they let me go without knowing what I can/ can't tolerate. Some people if they can't tolerate it will be sent home but I guess on just liquids until they can tolerate it- they won't keep you there they just will give you different advice versus the norm. But from my days in the hospital ( 4 other ppl got it ( by 2 different surgeons from the same practice) all went home fine)

We were given fluids next day Clear Liquids after we passed the leak test then we graduated towards mush and purees. But yeah I trust the doctors/ hospital since it's the best and leading one in New York, I wouldn't settle for any less since I'm such a princess haha. Also! I only have one incision so my pain was literally non existent unless ugh it's the gas which was bad on day 1 and 2 but now I'm back at work.

But yeah it works well for me so far, I had no idea it differed so much! And it's just mush and purees which has the consistency of liquid not solid food, haha I don't know why you're so astonished. Again this doctor helped pioneered the sleeve in the east coast so I think I'm ok. Right??

Edited by wagyu

Well, my surgeon does the leak test while you're still under anesthesia. He says there's no reason to put patients through the discomfort of a leak test while awake. If it's leaking, he wants to know about it before he wakes you up so he can fix it right then.

I know that my swollen sleeve can't tolerate food. It tolerate liquids. And yes, I would have signed out against medical advice (AMA).

So...

East coast best: one incision, solid food in hospital, leak test while awake

West coast best: five incisions, liquids for two weeks, leak test while asleep.

And yes, I'm astonished. Flabbergasted. Stunned. I wish you well.