Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My journey from 250 to 123

I had surgery with a weight of 240 after the diet.

My rny was fine at first but I started having complications. To this day we aren't sure what caused them, but after four months in and out of the hospital I had my surgery reversed and had gastric sleeve instead. It's very rare to do this but this was my surgeons suggestion.

My first surgeon was a total jerk and was very unsupportive. It was a tough experience and very scary. I had two pic lines and went days without eating or drinking.

After my sleeve surgery, my major complications stopped, but I have never been able to transition to solids. My sleeve surgery was March 2015 and I've never had a full meal.

I found a new surgeon who has diagnosed me with a stricture and scar tissue in the spot they reconnected my pouch from the rny with the new sleeve stomach. He has done one dilation on me but it did not help. He wants to continue the dilations.

The ironic thing is that he says if the dilations don't work, I may have to go back to rny. So I'm 123 pounds at 5'6 and still losing about two pounds per week. I can't seem to settle on a weight loss goal and I'm terrified of entering maintainence.

On the positive side, because this post is not in any way intended to be negative towards this surgery- I have never looked or felt better. I feel amazing in my new body. I love the way I look now. I Celebrate this body by dressing up and buying clothes and enjoying a dating life and a social life I would never have had otherwise. My confidence is through the roof. My back pain is gone and I have more energy for my kids and life in general. This surgery have my my life back and released me from the chain of a food addiction.

I would do it again in a second!!!! Again and again. Because guess what? Nothing tastes as good as thin feels. Period.

I hope my story helps you in your journey. I highly recommend this surgery, it is a wonderful tool that can give you the leverage you need to lose weight and the truth is the vast majority of people do not have complications. I would do it again in spite of mine and I'm happy to answer any questions anyone has for me. :)

Here are some photos of me. I haven't had any plastic surgery and don't plan to.

Before:

post-235696-14394499005839_thumb.jpg post-235696-14394499212419_thumb.jpg post-235696-14394499419217_thumb.jpg post-235696-14394499549557_thumb.jpg post-235696-14394499671359_thumb.jpg

Most recent:

post-235696-14394500049439_thumb.jpg post-235696-14394500229641_thumb.jpg post-235696-1439450060664_thumb.jpg post-235696-14394500687964_thumb.jpg post-235696-14394500902368_thumb.jpg post-235696-14394501041215_thumb.jpg post-235696-14394501298136_thumb.jpg post-235696-14394501908936_thumb.jpg

The last one, me swimming with my kids, is something I could never have done without this surgery.

Edited by bellabloom

I found that softer foods (chili and soups) go down easier than harder foods (steaks). I made my own high Protein chili and Soups which have about twice the Protein content as store bought variety. I have included recipes in the following article. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery.pdf Whatever you do make sure you meet the daily protein requirement laid out by your doctor. This requirement is a combination of the protein you obtain from meals combined with the protein you receive from supplements (Protein shakes, protein bars).

What an incrdible journey!! Mine is very similar honestly, so I can relate quite well. Grew up in a home where food was the anti-christ. It has taken me years to regain some 'control/ but now I am ready to go and accept this next challenge. You look amazing and I am very happy for you girl!!

I have to say your jorney is an incredible inspiration to me. It's been for me to relate to others as not many people share our 'background' Your story has really made a difference in my day. Thank you!

Edited by dancingqueene

You know. I have a similar past as you. I had a vbg in 2003 and found out I was pregnant when they did it. So I had a bad pregnancy. Anyway I managed to lose 100 lbs through 3 pregnancies and after 12 years of vomiting everyday. I have to have a rny. Which will be on the 25th. I was dilated 3 times and had my pouch cleaned out twice. I am 20 lbs shy of hitting the bmi as well but I am going to have it done because I can't live like this anymore

You are certainly a very beautiful woman, even though you may not see it. I am so glad to hear you are seeing a therapist and a dietician. Being honest with ourselves is the key to success in this journey. We need self awareness and honesty and we can work thru anything.

I get sick easily too and I have pretty severe dumping syndrome. And I get sick from eating too much carbs or the balance of carbs and Protein is off and it's hard to always keep that right. I do throw up.

But I try to always keep up on Protein, veggies and fruits. And focus on eating good foods and not what I can't eat. Focus on taking care of myself.

I have a fear of my sugar addiction. I know it is always there, even when I am losing or maintaining my weight. It feels so out of control when I see the scale up 3 lbs and I didn't know I was eating more, etc. I know how you feel. It is hard to feel out of control.

It's great to have a place like this to be able to share our journey. I am twice your age and have been on this journey a long time. For me, it's a life long journey.Mine has to do with childhood issues too.

Maintenance is the hardest phase for sure. For most of us, we could gain weight easily and we could lose weight pretty easily, it's the maintenance that gets us.

We will find success if we just keep on working on our issues and learning about ourselves and learning to love ourselves. Sending good thoughts your way. Tracy