Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To eat or not to eat! LOL!

I have a question regarding eating yogurt. I have heard/seen tons of people say that eating Greek yogurt is a great way of getting in your Protein. I have never really liked Greek yogurt BUT I did find one that wasn't so bad but I'm SURE it's not one that is recommended. I tried the strawberry on the bottom Chobani Greek Yogurt and that wasn't so bad. My question is what kind of Greek yogurt is okay and what should I stay away from?post-257721-14392394878443_thumb.jpg

My gut says that's pretty high in calories and sugar. I eat Dannon Light & Fit Greek. It's the least "greek" tasting yogurt I was able to find. Like you, I've never been a fan of greek yogurt. But there's no denying the higher Protein content! Here are the stats on Dannon Light & Fit:

Calories: 80

Fat: 0 grams

Carbs: 9 grams

Sugars: 7 grams

Protein: 12 grams

It does have some artificial sweetener in there (sucralose), so if that's something you are avoiding, then it might not be your best option.

My gut says that's pretty high in calories and sugar. I eat Dannon Light & Fit Greek. It's the least "greek" tasting yogurt I was able to find. Like you, I've never been a fan of greek yogurt. But there's no denying the higher Protein content! Here are the stats on Dannon Light & Fit:

Calories: 80

Fat: 0 grams

Carbs: 9 grams

Sugars: 7 grams

Protein: 12 grams

It does have some artificial sweetener in there (sucralose), so if that's something you are avoiding, then it might not be your best option.

Thanks! I figured if it tasted that good to me that it couldn't be what I should be having. I will try the light and fit that you suggested. ????

I agree! Dannon Light & Fit is my favorite Greek yogurt! Especially the strawberry cheesecake :) You can even taste the graham cracker crust. The toasted coconut and vanilla is equally as delicious.

Dannon light n fit is my favorite as well. They have a new kind that has dark chocolate on top and it's like a dessert! And it's still lower in sugar.

My favorite Dannon Light & Fit are the Raspberry and the Key Lime. I started with their strawberry, which was okay, but once I tried the Raspberry, there was no turning back!

@@Nikki Monroe its a great question. I feel differently than those who have already posted, which is one of the things I love about this site. I do not like artificial stuff in general, so I stay away from the Dannon and Yoplait "greek" yogurts because they are not really greek yogurt and are full of thickeners and other artificals. I choose to have a few more carbs with my yogurt and sometimes have chobani, although I prefer fage because I do not want cornstarch, I want yogurt.

All "greek" yogurts are not the same. True greek yogurt is extensively strained to get the whey out which then leads to thicker, more condensed yogurt with more Protein.... Yoplait (and others) are not true greek yogurt as they use additives and fillers to thicken the yogurt, so if you are concerned about getting true additive-free yogurt, check the label for things like guar gum and pectin, carrageenan, sodium citrate, potassium sorbate, corn starch. I know this doesn't matter to everyone, but it did to me when I learned so thought I would share. I personally eat Fage, which as no fillers, additives etc added.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/10/04/6-myths-about-greek-yogurt/

Eat Fage plain nonfat Greek yogurt and add fruit. I also will put in a squirt of Monk Fruit if the fruit isn't very sweet. Keeps the carb count way down. The Kirkland brand plain Greek nonfat yogurt is excellent too. It's cheaper if you belong to costco.< /p>

Edited by sleevenv

A few other suggestions - 1) I add in a tablespoon of Protein Powder in to my yogurt to bump up the Protein (and thus the car to protein ratio is different); 2) eat just half the container in 1 day - again cutting down the carbs. 3) I have used Fage plain yogurt with additions as suggested above like Torani sugar free flavored syrups and/or teaspoon or so of sugar free pudding mix (the powder) and/or Jello powder and/or protein powder. This way you can make your own flavors. Having said all that my favorite is Danton Light and Fit Greek either strawberry Cheesecake or Key Lime.

Dannin light n fit or Triple zero

I eat Greek yogurt daily. I like the Dannon light and fit but I love the fage plain Greek and I add almonds. It's delicious!

@@butterfly23 To be fair, I did mention the artificial sweetener in my first post about Dannon Light & Fit. Some people avoid artificial sweeteners and some people don't. It's a personal choice, but I did point it out, because I don't know what the OP's personal preference is.

@@JamieLogical yes you did mention artificial sweetners which I appreciated. In fact, I love your posts because you are always fair and balanced (dare I say logical?) and you acknowledge that everyone has their own preferences and yet you also have really valuable experience and advice. I did not mean to imply otherwise, I just wanted to share my own experience. Thanks for all of the posts you have made that have helped me and many others here.

If you like Chobani, you might try their "Simply 100" yogurts. The stats are:

100 calories (duh)

0 grams fat

14 grams carbs w/ 7 of those being sugar

12 grams Protein

Ingredients: Nonfat Yogurt (Cultured Pasteurized Nonfat Milk, Live and Active Cultures: S. Thermophilus, L. Bulgaricus, L. Acidophilus, Bifidus and L. Casei), Blueberries, Chicory Root Fiber, Water, Evaporated Cane juice, Natural Flavors, Pectin, Locust Bean Gum, Monk Fruit Extract, Stevia Leaf Extract.