Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think people will treat you differently after loosing weight?

I've come to notice that many people assume those of us who are overweight are this way by choice because we are lazy, and feel as though it is gross and unattractive. Do you think people will treat you better after weight loss? I've read on numerous sites that when someone is thinner, the general public treats them with more respect, they have more job opportunities, and of course, get more dates. Do any of you guys expect this to happen to you? How do you think people's reactions towards you will change after the surgery?

Omg yess I know people will treat me different and I cant wait to see everyones reaction as my weight come off specially family member they seem to criticize mor!!

Friends and family no, strangers yes. I am very lucky :)

Men will pay more attention.

Unfortunately some women stop a friendship with a female friend, when she loses weight. Hate to put THAT out there but we have some shallow sisters that get a wee bit (jealous?) when we lose weight.

True I have a couple of cousins and friends already making comments like oh becareful with loose skin blah blah blah so on I told them opinions are ok but no one will change my MIND!!!!

Sad to say but I think my mother will and my husband will be more attracted to me.

I never thought I was treated badly when I was super morbidly obese. I was fortunate in that I had no mobility or health issues, and I dressed and carried myself as a confident professional. I'm also pretty direct and easy to get along with, so it's hard to mistreat someone like that.

So fast forward a couple of years - and I can say strangers are much nicer to me. It is a little amusing, funny, and infuriating, all at once. It just really dawned on me a couple of weeks ago. I had a day where everywhere I went, people seemed to go out of their way to talk to me, they liked my clothes, my hair, my purse, etc. I NEVER had that on my best day as a 300+ pound woman.

I hate to admit it, but it has been true for me that strangers are nicer and go out of their way to talk to me. I don't think I can say that of people I know or my family, though. The people who loved me before love me now :)

I didn't give it any real thought pre-surgery...like ooooh just wait until I'm skinny!! But I have to say, yes, people/strangers DO treat you differently. I know there are many discussions on here as the the "why" of it. But I've experienced it many times now.

I had one idiot former acquaintance who made me feel so crappy about my weight. We have a mutual friend who is very ill and is extremely thin due to her illness and she related the two of us both "grossing her out" I apparently gross her out because I am very overweight, and the other woman grosses her out because she was very underweight. I have to admit, I can't wait to see her reaction when I start loosing ... BTW, she is far from thin or attractive so she should keep her rude opinions to herself.

Certainly, people (in general) treat the obese and the normal-sized differently. Get ready for it.

Some will....most likely strangers. I've been up and down the scale so Im speaking from experience..

I don't have to guess, I know. Down 135lbs and strangers make eye contact, shopkeepers approach and ask if I need help, I get friendly smiles and such soooooo much more!

How much is the weight loss and how much is me carrying myself differently in the world--with confidence--I don't know, but DEFINITELY treated with more respect and approached much more often.

They absolutely will treat you better...no doubt. Be sure to maintain who you are. Many of us are friendly people by way of our obesity...it takes the attention off all the weight we carry. If you had a great personality before weightloss...keep it. We can never forget where we came from and start looking down on others who are overweight. It can happen so easy. When we were fat there are always a few mean spirited people who want to make you feel bad....don't become one of them... Help others join the journey without being unkind.

For people who use to be my friend and people who are aquatinted with me, when they start to talk to me ....it will be hard to not tell them to piss off. If I was not good enough when I was fat then I'm not good enough skinny. Me as a person never changed. Only the outside cover.

Those are the ppl u are polite to and that's all polite but distant just the bare minimum so not to be rude no one who ever treated me that way when I was heavier will be called my friend now that I'm thinner not acceptable at all