Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling - Vitamins and Protein

Hello! I am 3 weeks post op tomorrow. I am having a very hard time with my multi-Vitamins and Protein. I bought some chewable citricale at CVS and it is so disgusting it makes me gag. I ordered some liquid Wellnese online - it came today and the taste is unbearable. Something has happened to my taste buds - things I could power through before are really impossible now. If I force myself to drink/chew it, I just throw it up.

Also, am struggling with Protein. I did the premiere shakes for pre-op and was able to tolerate them fine (didn't love them but got through it). Now, I cannot even look at them - seriously. Someone on here mentioned GENEPRO - i bought that and have been able to add to crystal light but it's still got a whey aftertaste and having to face tons of that every day has me really frustrated. I also bought some Syntrax Necter and it's just as bad as the others. Today, I bought some Carnation Instant and going to try that but it doesn't have as much protein so I am going to have to drink so much of it, if I can stand it.

So, any help, suggestions, commiserating or encouragement is welcome. I spent most of today in tears. It just seems like this is never going to end - that everything I ever drink/eat is going to taste like whey protein.

Tomorrow, I am supposed to start soft foods, but honestly, nothing sounds good at all. I thought I would be so excited to add new things. But it all just makes me nauseous. I stopped even having Soup 4 days ago because I couldn't stomach it. So, all I am really having is tons of crystal light whey drink. It's depressing.

I really struggled at lot between week 3 and 4. (Honestly I am now 9 weeks out and just now feeling better). I felt very hopeless during this time too but I promise you it gets better. You just have to hang in there and find stuff you can tolerate. I ate a lot of refried Beans with cheese melted on top (I put some spices in too like garlic salt, cumin and cilantro). I like and tolerated hummus quite well. sugar free fat free chocolate pudding with some Protein powder mixed in. Greek yogurt (I like the Dannon Light & Fit Greek strawberry Cheesecake). Ricotta Bake from theworldaccordingtoeggface.com website was REALLY good and even though I could only eat a small amount, it made me feel more human.

For Protein powders, I have been using Precision Engineering whey Protein Isolate - both chocolate and vanilla - and I like both of them a lot. I sometimes mix in PB2 and/or some of the Torani sugar free flavored syrups (I especially like Salted Caramel mixed with vanilla.) For unflavored, I use Doc Hale Nutrition Whey-licious (available online). You are able to mix it with as little as 3 oz of Fluid, so I mix it with Propel Fitness berry Water and just get it done.

On the Vitamins, you might try calling your dr or NUT and see which ones they suggest. I use BariActiv (not the same as Bariatric Advantage) and tolerate them quite well. It is EXTREMELY important that you get Vitamins in, so you have to find something you can tolerate. I have heard 2 Centrum Silver chewables or 2 flinstone vitamins even. Do a search for vitamins on here and see if one comes up that you could try.

PROMISE it gets better!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to share all of that! I'm gonna try some of the things! So reassuring that it does get better.

​You are very welcome. If you were to go back and read some of my posts from a month ago, you would see I was just about where you were - crying and hating life. Just this last week I realized how much better I feel. I have read most don't feel more normal until about 3 months out so I have a little yet to go so I am crossing my fingers, I will be feeling even better in a few more weeks!

I should say, I had bypass not sleeve, but a lot of the same issues apply (and I hate to see posts with no responses especially ones like yours so I had to answer! :) Glad it helped a little!)​

You are not alone in the way you are feeling! My sister and I did this together, and we have faced many of the same struggles. We were tired of Soups, broth, and Protein shakes; I detest the unflavored Protein powders! We are nearly 4 weeks post op, and Water still tastes funny to us (and we both used to love it). Oh, and Vitamins, "forget about it"! We tried Flintstone chewables, and they were horrible! I couldn't handle the taste, and though my sister doesn't like them, she can deal with them. We got samples of Bariatric Advantage Vitamins at our one-week check-up, and I could deal with those, but my sister couldn't. Manageable or not though, we both wanted over-the-counter vitamins so we could get them whenever we wanted, rather than have to wait for them to be delivered. As of today, we both still struggle with getting enough liquids, and protein. Basically, we've had those "I just want to cry moments" as well.

Here's what we settled on. I take Centrum Chewables Adult (orange flavor). My sister takes flinstone Chewables. We both take two per day. We also use the New Whey Protein Shots which are 42 grams of protein. We both drink only half of it in one setting since your body can't process more than 20-25 or so grams of protein at a time anyway. I mix mine with juice, and my sister mixes hers with Water because the flavor is so bold. I've also tried the Proteinex shots. They will send you free samples of that one, so that will give you a chance to try it before you buy it. There are also some protein waters out there you can try.

I also try different drink mixes to mix things up a bit from regular water and crystal lite. There are numerous sugar free options; from Hawaiian Punch, to Crush, to store brands. They are usually only a dollar or so per box in my area. If you're into tea, try drinking some in the morning, or sipping on iced tea throughout the day to get your liquids (use and zero calorie sweetener to sweeten). One of our FAVE treats is the blackberry slush from Sonic. It's sugar free, and really nice on a hot summer day. A small or medium can last a while since we can't drink much of if at once. We put it in the freezer after the first time, and eat it with a spoon (like a sno cone). They also have other sugar free flavors to choose from.

Last week, I even made a gumbo with chicken, sausage, shrimp, lump crab meat and green peppers, to add something with spice and kick to our diet. I use boneless skinless thighs because they remain moist, and taste great. I cook the chicken with the green peppers first, and add the other ingredients once that's done. Once the chicken is tender, I break it up with a potato masher (while its still cooking). That makes the chicken take on a shredded texture (very easy going down). I add the sausage next, and once it's cooked a while, I add the seafood, and let it all cook even longer. The flavor is sealed in, and everything is very soft. I peeled the skin off of the sausage prior to cutting it up and cooking. I don't know if it would've been a problem for our systems, but I didn't want to take any chances. You can add/omit ingredients based on your own preferences.

I know it's cliché, but things will get better. It's a matter of determining what works for you. It's basic trial and error (as difficult as that can be sometimes).

Good luck on your journey!

I struggled right after my surgery too. I mixed the chocolate and vanilla Primier shakes together. That way, the chocolate wasnt too strong. Your taste buds go into a kind of shock, I think. Nothing tasyed good. I cried so much because everything tasted "too" sweet, "too" salty, "too" something.... It did get better. I like the chewable daily Vitamins. Orange flavored...kind of chalky-but not too bad. Vitachews for Calcium, /vitamin D, Krill Oil for Omega 3, Vitamin E, hair and Nails from costco, (helps to maintain hair growth). Trial and error for the vitamins....what works for one, might not taste good/work with another...of course check with your DR to see what vitamins mix well with your meds. ????

Just dropping another coin in the hat... I too felt like this. My go-to shakes during pre-op, even thinned with almond milk were unbearable to me. I switched to something else I did like and then a few more weeks later I hated that, too. Seems so irrational, especially while you're going through it. Just know it WILL get better.

Overall, your tastes will change some after all this. I'm tolerating certain fish much better post-op than I ever did my whole life. It's odd, but true.

Hang in there!!

I struggled with the Vitamins too. It really does come down to personal taste. I started with the Bariatric Advantage essential Multivitamin and hated it. Made me gag every time. Now I'm taking the ProCare bariatric chewable and while it's not my favorite, it's certainly tolerable. I use the bariatric advantage calcium chews and find orange, lemon and caramel all pretty good, although the caramel is a little too sweet for me and I probably won't reorder it. I'm using the Kirkland sublingual B12 and Natrol fast dissolve Biotin that were both pretty inexpensive at costco. Good luck!!

If you use the Carnation (or do this with any Protein powder) mix it with Fair Life Milk. It has a lot more protein because it's extra processed to get rid of impurities and Water. The nonfat or 1 % tastes more like whole milk. My NUT suggested it and it's helped me boost my protein. It is also lactose free. But it's also about $4.00 for a little less than half gallon.

For Protein I'm using a protein blend called Syntha 6 it comes in a powder and I blend it with almond milk. It tastes to me at least like a vanilla milkshake. They have other flavor a too and when I feel like getting crazy I add some fruit to it. Lol. Hope this helps

If you use the Carnation (or do this with any Protein powder) mix it with Fair Life Milk.

I LOVE this milk. It's a great booster towards your daily Protein. Love that it's less sugar, too.

These are all such great ideas! Any special place sell the fair life or would any grocery store have it?

Thank you all for not making me feel so crazy!!

Any grocery should have it.