Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your hardest part of surgery?

I just received my surgery date :) august 25th. And I just wanted to know what was/is the hardest part you went through during this process?

So far i have extreme nervousness. Even though i have some support i feel like i am going through this by myself.

Edited by Tha_Payne

In the beginning the complexity of the requirements can easily overwhelm you. Vitamins have to be spread out throughout the day. You can no longer swallow medium to large Vitamins and have to break them up. Getting in the fluids and the Protein shakes that taste awful. Giving myself the daily blood thinner shots in the stomach wasn't fun. My love of food came to an abrupt end. I lost the enjoyment of eating. Luckily things get significantly easier with time.

Having said all this, having RNY gastric bypass surgery was one of the best decisions I every made in my life.

oh no :( I'm worried about that. I have a 9 month old baby. I'm worried I will do too much

The clexane injections ... hated them!

I am following this, as my surgery is the 26th. I also feel kind of alone with this. My husband knows but no one else does. And as wonderful as my husband is.... well..... I am afraid that his eating habits are sort of what brought me here. I know no one can MAKE you do anything you don't want to, but i have without thinking about it, just assumed his eating habits over the years. I just came to the realization that OMG I am the ONLY ONE that will be helping MYSELF eat right and get right mentally with this. Can I do it? I HAVE to. Also, my son starts kindergarten the week of my surgery.... does anyone know when they could drive after surgery? How many days/weeks?

The night of my surgery and the next night. The Pain meds made me horrible sick and I threw up all night and then would sleep all day. They gave me shots for it also and I would continue to get sick. After I quite the IV pain meds I was fine and got released. Only take the pain meds if you need them. My hubby thought he was helping me by pushing the button as I slept but really that was what was making me sick. When I got home and was only taking the oil pain meds I was fine. Make sure that you get up and walk around. It will help you heal faster. I have a grandson and at time of surgery he was 1, I could pick him up and hold him fine. I also run a home daycare and had surgery on Monday and by Friday I was sitting in the chair in my living room with my back up provider and joining in on some activities. By Monday I was on the floor and enjoying the kiddos again. By the end of week 2 I was walking a mile and feeling great. By the end of week three I was going about 2 1/2 miles on treadmill at gym. Now 8 weeks out I am going 2 miles on treadmill, 4 miles on bike and doing some leg strengthen and I just got released yesterday to do what ever!! I am down 50 lbs as of today which is 2 months out. This was and is the best thing that I have ever chose to do and would recommend this for anyone struggling to lose or keep the weight off. I am so glad I did this and the first two days are a very distant memory and I would go through that all over again if needed.

Honestly just sticking with the program long term. I lost 125lbs in the first 8 months and looked great but I noticed that I could cheat a bit and not gain any weight and it just got worse and worse until I was in fact seeing the results of my bad eating habits but ignoring it and have gained 50lbs back as of now. Habits are super hard to break, even if it seems easy to overcome them at first. Just try really hard not to sway and if you do, forgive yourself and get back on the horse. It's a lot easier to fix 10lbs gained than 50lbs. I just am so happy I didn't gain it all back.

As far as IMMEDIATELY post-op, the stomach pain. Your entire abdomen is unbelievably sore and something as simple as sitting up is impossible. Otherwise it just sucks having to stay in a hospital for a few days and I don't like needles so the heparin shots every 8hrs and blood work every morning sucked for me personally. All in all it really wasn't that bad though.

I'm almost 2 weeks post op and breezed right through it. Pain for me was tolerable and pretty much gone 4-5 days post surgery. Sooner or later you'll eat something and feel a pain in your new pouch, take it as a signal to stop or slow way down. You have to learn to listen to your body. You'll be a lot less hungry and watch the weight come off fast at first. Enjoy the ride and look at it as a fresh start to better health! Congrats and don't worry too much!

Edited by Justin1524

Thank you so much for your encouraging words!!