Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Pre Op Diet Was All I Needed

Where you at Chuckster????

Congratulations on your weight loss success. Awesome job. It's hard work to make any lifestyle change that involves healthy eating and consistent exercise.

My question is why do you feel that you are healthier now and have learned more valuable lessons than if you had gotten the sleeve or had a bypass?

I had the gastric sleeve over a year ago and I am the healthiest I have ever been in my life, including times in the past where I have been thin. I am now physically fit, strong, energetic, adventurous, and have a zest for life.

I learned a lot about myself. Some people self-medicate with food and to some degree that was me but mostly I was just a glutton like so amny Americans are these days. I was also a victim of the clever marketing of food and the addictive nature of today's food. I realized that most of what is sold in supermarkets is not fit for human consumption. Pets get better nutrition.

Another reason why I did not go with surgery is because I had gotten great counseling. I knew that it was within my power to reform my behaviors and doing such was very empowering. It made me a better husband and better parent.

Another important reason was the risk. bariatric surgeries have a significant mortality rate and many people have the side effects such as mal absortion, leaking and dumping to name a few.

I was asked to name all the valid reasons for why I could not eat 40% less calories and I had no reasons. I asked the person helping me why I wasn't and he let me off the hook by explain what is if to be sated and how the brain has to catch up with the body. Big people have big appetites. Because of how I eat now I don't have gnawing hunger. I now eat the way nature intended humans to eat. I eat the foods that we were designed to eat.

I had to eat mindfully. I selected the right foods in the right amounts and lost the weight. I reduced calories gradually so I was never really hungry. I ate 6 times a day and now I eat larger meal 4 times.

What I learned mostly is that food can no longer control me. The pesky free floating anxiety that most of us have vanished. I took control. I learned that with the right tools things that seem impossible are actually pretty easy.

I now enjoy food... real food more than ever but I have gone from a hedonist to an epicurean and the whole thing was quite spiritual. I did this for a higher purpose. Sure vanity was part of it as was health but I did it mostly for my loved ones and for society as a whole.

Chuckster, im really and truly happy for you that you were able to lose weight with a healthy diet and exercise. Congrats on your hard work and success ! Obviously though not ALL people will have the same or similar results that you did. No , it's NOT "rocket science " , but not everybody s body responds as yours did. I lost a whopping 12 lbs on a year of Weight Watchers, and I fought for every one of those pounds. After my son was born, my metabolism just died. Dead. Later , add in early menopause, hormones whacked out and the typical mom running a busy home , work etc where theres neither time nor money fo "r Mom your favor, you're a male, and

(Sorry, operator error ) what I meant to say was theres not always time, money etc for a gym, nutritionist etc, for everybody. And sometimes, no matter how hard we try, the body just doesnt cooperate. As a man , you may not have dealt with the female problems , etc. that can cause, /keep weight gain. While you are certainly entitled to your opinion (and again, you have NOT had any WLS) to post your " my way is better " opinion /story on a WLS board was waaaaayy out of line............. and honestly, rather rude. ( I see our favorite "Lipstick Lady" has already jumped in (yay !) , now Im just waiting for SteveHud to make his presence known, so then I can sit back and watch the show........... popcorn anyone ?

I learned a lot about myself. Some people self-medicate with food and to some degree that was me but mostly I was just a glutton like so amny Americans are these days. I was also a victim of the clever marketing of food and the addictive nature of today's food. I realized that most of what is sold in supermarkets is not fit for human consumption. Pets get better nutrition.

Another reason why I did not go with surgery is because I had gotten great counseling. I knew that it was within my power to reform my behaviors and doing such was very empowering. It made me a better husband and better parent.

Another important reason was the risk. bariatric surgeries have a significant mortality rate and many people have the side effects such as mal absortion, leaking and dumping to name a few.

I was asked to name all the valid reasons for why I could not eat 40% less calories and I had no reasons. I asked the person helping me why I wasn't and he let me off the hook by explain what is if to be sated and how the brain has to catch up with the body. Big people have big appetites. Because of how I eat now I don't have gnawing hunger. I now eat the way nature intended humans to eat. I eat the foods that we were designed to eat.

I had to eat mindfully. I selected the right foods in the right amounts and lost the weight. I reduced calories gradually so I was never really hungry. I ate 6 times a day and now I eat larger meal 4 times.

What I learned mostly is that food can no longer control me. The pesky free floating anxiety that most of us have vanished. I took control. I learned that with the right tools things that seem impossible are actually pretty easy.

I now enjoy food... real food more than ever but I have gone from a hedonist to an epicurean and the whole thing was quite spiritual. I did this for a higher purpose. Sure vanity was part of it as was health but I did it mostly for my loved ones and for society as a whole.

It sounds like you are in a really good place mentally and emotionally and that is a HUGE part of weight loss success, no matter how you lose the weight. So, once again, awesome job!

I do want to point out that, as far as surgeries go, WLS actually has one of the lowest mortality rates. It is lower than knee replacement. But, you are definitely right that there are risks associated with every surgery, so those should definitely be factored into any decision that a person makes pertaining to their weight loss.

@@Chuckster Aww well that's good for you chuckie! I'm one of the Absurd ones who is now officially 98 lbs down and medically just as healthy as you if not more so, we should compare lab reports!!! It's good that you were able to lose the weight with your system, I'm happy for you. I wouldn't degrade how other people chose to get healthy (which is technically what your doing) Why do you have a surgery date of March listed? Make sure you come back in another year and let us know how all that's working out for you! I would love to know what material you studied for your information, being as I'm working on my masters for my NP. In all my years of college and nutrition classes I must have missed those books explaining how the MD are so ignorant. I'm sure my surgeon would beg to differ seeing as how he's also one of the top trauma surgeon in our state. Congratulations on your success!

Medically as health as me? How would you know that? BTW, I am a research scientist.

I have been weight stable for 4 years. There is no going back to my selfish, shameful and gluttonous ways. I have a higher purpose and responsibility.

As to you calling me Chuckie, I used to have the name Chunkster because I was big chunk of lazy couch blubber. Now I have dropped the N and the people who called me Chunkster call me Chuckster.

Why are you being so nasty and condescending? It sounds like you want me to fail. Carnie Wilson has had 2 weight loss surgeries and she has managed to circumvent both of them. Marie Osmond has remained lean by eating less. Perhaps Marie Osmond has a better moral center that Carnie who comes off as a real self-centered jerk so it is not surprising that she is also very self-indulgent and food-centric. Marie is a class act.

I shared this story with others who are struggling with their eating behaviors to let them know that it is possible to lose weight the old fashioned way i.e. moving more and eating less.

Your defense of MDs is without facts. The leading cause of death and injury in the US is the medical industry. The US medical industry is also the biggest thief and according to Blue Cross Blue Shield at least 1/3 of what Americans pay for health care is waste and fraud. I can post all sorts of links and graphics show how American MD have become a menace and actually do more harm than good. I can show you that the largest criminal fines are against the medical industry,

I can show you that America pay over $9000 per capita for health care and is ranked 37th for quality which put it lowest in the industrialized world. Cuba spends less than 200 dollars per capita and they are ranked 38th.

Answer this question. The most weight a moderately active woman can maintain on 2000 calories per day is just shy of 140 pounds. And BTW the human body cannot defy the 2nd law of thermodynamics or any other physical laws.

Tell me all the reason for why you could not eat 2000 calories or lesseveryday. Tell me why you could not select healthy wholesome foods and eat them in the proper amounts? Do you even know basic nutrition? Does your surgeon even know basic nutrition?

I freely admit that I was a glutton.

Good for you! Any weight loss achievement is to be applauded, no matter the method and no one way is better than any other as long as the end result of better health and fitness is achieved.

I've got to ask, @@Chuckster . You just recently joined this forum (a weight loss surgery support forum), you lost a whole lot of weight non surgically, and both posts you've made since joining have been about losing weight non-surgically. What's your agenda in being here? :D

If there is any agenda it would be to let people know that with the right tools IMO most people can avoid a surgical intervention. What I did was much healthier and perhaps even more permanent since I fixed the cause of the problems which was self induced caloric poisoning. I could not wrap my head around paying someone to surgically alter my perfectly healthy digestive system. I did really do anything that drastic. I changed how I was living. This was a better option for me. In the 1970 only 3% of American were clinically obese but today it is 35%.

I guess for me paying someone to alter my digestive system to fix a behavioral problem seemed/seems absurd.

I think it's awesome that you lost the weight on your own, and maintaining for 4 years shows alot of dedication, so you're clearly on the right track to keep the weight off long term.

I guess my only concern is, your posts are making me feel criticized for having surgery. Like many others on this site, I tried to lose weight before. I counted calories and worked out. I've been very active my entire life, but have always been heavy. While I know I haven't made all the right choices, I certainly haven't been sitting around stuffing twinkies down my throat my entire life also. There's nothing wrong with promoting a healthy lifestyle of wholesome foods and exercise, but coming to a wls support group where most of us have already had surgery, and basically telling it was a bad idea is pretty rude. The only thing worse than being insulted for being overweight, is being insulted for trying to fix it!

It's great to tell your story to people, there are tons who can benefit from it, but I don't think this is the right venue.

Hey, Chuckie.

Post a picture of yourself, would you?

I want to see this awesome physical specimen you've become.

:)

Good for you! Any weight loss achievement is to be applauded, no matter the method and no one way is better than any other as long as the end result of better health and fitness is achieved.

I've got to ask, @@Chuckster . You just recently joined this forum (a weight loss surgery support forum), you lost a whole lot of weight non surgically, and both posts you've made since joining have been about losing weight non-surgically. What's your agenda in being here? :D

If there is any agenda it would be to let people know that with the right tools IMO most people can avoid a surgical intervention. What I did was much healthier and perhaps even more permanent since I fixed the cause of the problems which was self induced caloric poisoning. I could not wrap my head around paying someone to surgically alter my perfectly healthy digestive system. I did really do anything that drastic. I changed how I was living. This was a better option for me. In the 1970 only 3% of American were clinically obese but today it is 35%.

I guess for me paying someone to alter my digestive system to fix a behavioral problem seemed/seems absurd.

Ah....

I see.

So looking over your posts, it's my opinion that your tone is almost of superiority over those of us who have chosen the WLS route. I do hope I am wrong about that.

The words and phrases you used could be construed as quite offensive if I was the delicate type. Examples? Hedonistic, vulgar, self medicated, glutton, the thought that "paying seems absurd", "self induced caloric poisoning". Now I assume that all this is negative self talk and you don't at all mean to imply that these words apply to all obese (or formally obese) people.

I'm very happy that you found YOUR solution, but I will remind you that this is a WLS support forum. We are not here to downplay or denigrate anyone's choices regarding how they choose to loose their excess weight.

I will not take the time to tell you about my experiences with traditional weight loss and my success with WLS as I am fairly certain my words would only bore you. Your obvious disdain for the medical profession is apparent but I owe my life to my doctors, not only in my weight loss efforts but through other medical procedures that had nothing to do with my former obesity.

My hope for you is that your weight loss efforts will continue to be successful and your health will continue to be excellent. I know mine will be despite the fact that I chose a route that you clearly find objectionable.

Ah....

I see.

So looking over your posts, it's my opinion that your tone is almost of superiority over those of us who have chosen the WLS route. I do hope I am wrong about that.

The words and phrases you used could be construed as quite offensive if I was the delicate type. Examples? Hedonistic, vulgar, self medicated, glutton, the thought that "paying seems absurd", "self induced caloric poisoning". Now I assume that all this is negative self talk and you don't at all mean to imply that these words apply to all obese (or formally obese) people.

I'm very happy that you found YOUR solution, but I will remind you that this is a WLS support forum. We are not here to downplay or denigrate anyone's choices regarding how they choose to loose their excess weight.

I will not take the time to tell you about my experiences with traditional weight loss and my success with WLS as I am fairly certain my words would only bore you. Your obvious disdain for the medical profession is apparent but I owe my life to my doctors, not only in my weight loss efforts but through other medical procedures that had nothing to do with my former obesity.

My hope for you is that your weight loss efforts will continue to be successful and your health will continue to be excellent. I know mine will be despite the fact that I chose a route that you clearly find objectionable.

OH EM GEEE!! I typed LOOSE instead of lose. HA!

(Yeah, what she (Scarletwitch19 ) said !!! ) Chuckster, you may be a scientist, and score high on the black and white facts scale , but you lack tact, diplomacy, and some social skills. To come on a WLS forum that offers support and encouragement to those who have or might have WLS surgery and spout off about how wrong we are , and if we would just diet and exercise we wouldn't need WLS , shows how little you really do know. (Really ? Diet and exercise and I'll lose weight ? Golly gee whiz ! I DIDN'T know that ! I guess good ol' Chuckster from N.C. has FINALLY come up with the answers we've been waiting for !! Thanks for clearing that up for us on the WLS forum !! )

You might take a few moments to think about what you say Chuckster and the approach in which you say it.

Yes, I am offended by your choice of words as you describe yourself. Mostly because you clearly assume that every obese person on here is exactly like you were. This in itself is what set me off. I truly believe your statements can do more harm than good on a site like this. I just hope any newbies do their research so they understand the risks. You state that the mortality rate for the medical field in general is high, that may be true but the numbers for WLS are quite low.

Well, I have news for you, we are all different and have different issues. I was not a glutton, nor was I lazy. I was able to lose the weight many times only to gain it back over the long haul. I happen to have several auto immune diseases and a metabolic disease that all works against me every single day. I worked 70 hours a week, would come home and cook a healthy dinner for my husband and I. I then would go for a long walk or hop on my treadmill. I did not sit my butt on the couch and hang out and stuff my face.

I believe there are many people just like me that go go go and do not sit on their butts.

I understand your need to share your story, it is quite incredible. I believe there is a better way for you to share it without offending people by assuming we are all just like you.

Clearly you think you have all the answers, the truth is when it comes to the success of WLS on an obese patient you clearly don't have all the information.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that you continue to do well. For now I choose to spend my time helping those who need and want it. I won't waste another minute on your opinions of the medical field and weight loss surgery.

Glad for you Chuckster. You beat the odds. Only 8% of those who try for long term weight loss achieve it with diet,exercise, support alone. Part of the problem is the set point our bodies keep trying to get back to - see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e26JKMpSNSo. 80% of those who have WLS achieve the same results as you did. So I played the odds. Working very well for me and many others on the site.

But like many have hinted at, the WLS doesn't do it alone, got to work the program, it's just a dang handy tool that works for many. I didn't climb up Longs Peak in CO because of it. I didn't do my first 5K because of it. But it was a dang handy tool to get me to the point where I could make these things happen.

Edited by OKCPirate

@@Chuckster Yes, please show me ALL of that information, I will wait for it....You seem to have plenty of time on your hands. I was far from being nasty to you, I said congratulation didn't I? Which is more than you've said to anyone here. I said GOOD FOR YOU! As in GOOD for YOU. What's your point? You lost weight AND? You felt the need to come on here to a website focused on WLS and share this because?? Do you think we are all stupid "Gluttons" as you like to say. You don't think we know it's possible to lose weight w/o surgery?Of course it's possible, I'd say 99% of us have all done it, that's not the issue. Go ahead share your story but Including the words "absurd" and "almost criminal" is a crock of shit. The reason why I "just can't eat only 2000 calories " is because I don't effing have too! Yep that's right I'm over 3x7 and I made MY choice that I'm 100% happy about so I have NO intentions of answering to YOU or anyone else for that matter about my life choices. I don't have time to be entertained by you any longer Chuckie so bye bye now! Good Luck sweetheart Xoxoxo....Now that was condescending. Coming at me with some BS you've lost your ever loving mind. NEXT!