Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

struggling with liquid diet (August 5th surgery)

I am on day four and I broke down and had lettuce and cucumbers with fresh squeezed lemon , salt and pepper. It tasted like Christmas!!! My coordinator told me it was ok. I was so obsessed with food and my hunger that I started forgetting stuff at work.

I'm on day 1 and I agree that it does suck! I have to be on mine for 2 weeks and my surgery is August 11. Today I really enjoyed a vanilla Premier Protein drink blended with one banana and 10 almonds. I threw it in my ninja and it was really good! Other then that I starved!

I'm finishing day 12 today and I haven't been perfect. Close, but not quite. On about day 4 or 5 I scarfed down 4 pcs of bacon. On day 10 I ate a mini cupcake. There were a couple of times I ate a round of Babybel light cheese. Today, on day 12, I ate 3 tater tots. It is what it is. I doubt those tiny indiscretions are going to prevent my liver from shrinking. I've lost 16lbs in 11 days. My surgeon told me that he knows not everyone follows the diet perfectly, with no cheats. We are human. This diet however, was not made to sustain humans lol.

Hi All

I'll be having my surgery on August 5th (the day after my 29th birthday) and I'm on day 1 of my liquid diet.

This. Is. Not. Easy.

These Protein things are not my cup of tea. I've got GNC Lean 25 in chocolate Peanut Butter and Cookies & cream. I'm finding them to be too sweet, too syrupy in texture and just...not what I like. Can anyone suggest a Protein that is maybe not a "shake" or a "smoothie"?

THANK YOU!

My date is August 5th too.

I prefer Muscle Milk, it's a pre mixed with a liquid texture.

@@ladyfrann Im Aug 5th too! My NUT agreed to let me do muscle milk for my liquid diet, but i have to 6 shakes a day! thats tough! I am on day 7 and i havent been able to hit 6 a day yet. BUT, im down 7lbs so far.

I broke through the wall I hit yesterday and was able to finish Day 1 off feeling fine. This morning; however, I woke up with hunger pains and my Protein shake didn't have quite the same filling effect as it did yesterday. My pre-op diet, though it is a full liquid diet, I am allowed to have a veggie Soup that they sent me a recipe for where I can eat the veggies and all. I sent an e-mail to my coordinator this morning asking if I can just have a raw veggies in moderation to trick my brain into thinking I'm eating something it wants. I think the psychological nature of it all is the worst. I just want to put something with texture in my mouth lol.

I survived Day 1 but the time from 8pm to 11pm was the worst. I got a headache - this might also be related to doing work on computer so late. I stopped took a shower and felt better. I decided right then to not go to work today knowing the headaches were going to be on and off. I have had some headaches but i go to sleep and that deals with that. I am going to ask my Nut if I can at least have unsweetened applesauce. This is tough but I am tough too. Hoping Nut will say yes. Stay strong my fellow preop buddies!!

Edited by rln52

I contemplated taking off today too as the headache I woke up with this morning was just awful, but I knew that if I stayed home I would be even more tempted to eat and besides I want to save my days in case I need to take off after the surgery.

We got this!

WE GOT THIS !!! I am in my 8th day still loosin 2 pounds a day ..just keep focus on the end result...

Awesome @@Niki15!!!!

Yes we do have this!! I just realized this might be combined with a sinus headace and just took a Claritin. Eating yogurt and feeling better.

I'm so jealous of the August 5th people. My date was August 5th and I had family and support all set up to come be with me then the surgeon cancelled it. Now it's August 11th and none of the people coming this weekend can come that week. So very sad.

So, first day of pre-op diet and not as hungry as I thought I would be. Using Syntrax nectar in the morning and Premier Protein for lunch. I get to have an apple during the day as well. It tasted bland. Not a great time of year for apples. Looking forward to a cooking class I have to go to tomorrow after my pre-op appointment at the hospital. A day off work for all of that so that's a plus too.

Two weeks from today is the surgery. Amazing. I am SO ready for this.

I'm on Day 5 of 2-week pre-op liquid diet with my RNY surgery scheduled for August 7th. The nutritionist (Brenda) at Kaiser Permanente Sunnyside in Portland, Oregon recommended 4 juice-boxes of Boost Original a day so that's what I went with. Went to a Kaiser hospital's cafeteria and bought 4 cases of the stuff which should last me 1 month (2 cases chocolate, 1 case strawberry, 1 case vanilla).

The sweetness and aftertaste is hard when you're feeling like not having "desert." For me Decaf starbucks house blend keurig cups made black kill the taste well. I also make one cup in the evening of broth using 2 Wyler's beef bouillon cubes dissolved in a cup of hot Water. This is a 1,800 mg of salt but no calories or fat and I'm not sure my nutritionist would sign off on it. But it is helping me. As I get closer to the surgery I'll try and stop. I've had no solid food at all (hey that's the idea) and kept to 1,000 calories a day. My weight is down everyday a pound or 2 (or so it seems).

I was told after day 3 things get easier because you're in ketosis but I don't know. Cravings are there. Gotta stay strong. Best to everyone!

Justin

Justin u can do it you get to have more than me I am on day 8 and have been dropping 2 pounds a day ..getting tired of just Sf Jello Sf popcicles Sf Canrnation instant Breakfast and Water ..its sucks but my surgery is getting closer

Today is my anniversay sure would have loved to ho out to eat ..

But just think how good you are going to look and feel for that next anniversary! You can do it.

One thing I do with my Premier vanilla Protein drink is I add 4 small fresh strawberries to it and whip it up in by bullet blender. It makes it thicker and frothy and more like a real shake.