Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help me with protiens!!!

Well...

My understanding is that many of the products (like at GNC) that advertise they're for weight gain have lots of stuff other than Protein in them...like carbs, etc. I wouldn't use those. But some pure Protein products are sold for weight gain, since they help to add muscle.

The only real way I can think of to tell is to look at the nutrition label...how many calories/scoop or serving? Should be very little if it is just protein. What kind of ingredients are listed?

For instance...Unjury powder is 90 calories per scoop, with 0 grams of fat, 3g total carbs, 20g of protein.

Pro Gainer weigh gain supplement Protein Powder has 645 calories/serving, 7g of fat, 110g of carbs...

ok so here is the info on gnc:

Serving Size 1 scoop(s)pixel.gifpixel.gifServings Per Container 15pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifAmount Per Serving % DVpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifCalories 120.00</B> pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifCalories from Fat 15.00 pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifTotal Fat 1.50 g</B> 2% pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifSaturated Fat 1.00 g pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifTrans Fat 0.00 g</B> pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifCholesterol 80.00 mg</B> 27% pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifSodium 60.00 mg</B> 3% pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifTotal Carbohydrate 5.00 g</B> 2% pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifSugars 2.00 FCC units pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifProtein 20.00 g</B> 40% pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifVitamin A 0.00 IU 0% pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifVitamin C 0.00 mg 0% pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifCalcium 100.00 mg 10% pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifIron 0.00 mg 0% pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gif ** Daily Value (DV) not establishedpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gif † Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.

Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on

your calorie needs: pixel.gifpixel.gif Calories: 2000 2500 pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gif Total Fat Less than 65 g 80 g pixel.gifpixel.gif Sat. Fat Less than 20 g 25 g pixel.gifpixel.gif Cholesterol Less than 300 mg 300 mg pixel.gifpixel.gif Sodium Less than 2400 mg 2400 mg pixel.gifpixel.gif Total Carbohydrate 300 g 375 g pixel.gifpixel.gif Dietary Fiber 25 g 30 g pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifCalories per gram:

Fat 9pixel.gifpixel.gifCarbohydrate 4pixel.gifpixel.gifProtein 4 pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gif

Other Ingredients: Natural and Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Sucralose, Acesulfame Potassium, Lecithin, Pro Performance® Cookie Crumbs (Enriched Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Sugar, Palm and Palm Kernel Oil Blend, Cocoa (Processed with Alkali), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Corn Flour, Salt, Dextrose, Sodium Bicarbonate, Soy Lecithin), Proprietary Protein Blend (Whey Protein Concentrate, Ion-Exchange whey Protein Isolate, Hydrolyzed Whey Peptides)

Storage Instructions: Store in a cool dry place.

Warning: After opening, keep tightly closed in refrigerator or other cool place.

Use this product as a food supplement only. Do not use for weight reduction.

Contains: Soybeans, Milk and Wheat.

GNC GUARANTEE

Use any GNC supplement for as little as 10 days. If you are not 100% completely satisfied, return the unused portion of the product with proof of purchase to your GNC store for a complete refund of your purchase price. No questions asked!For more information: 1-888-462-2548

SHOP NOW @ GNC.COM

Distributed by: General Nutrition Corporation, Pittsburgh, PA 15222

MADE IN THE USA

To view the Label you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. You can download a free copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader at: Adobe - Adobe Reader Download - All versions

To view the Label you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader installed. You can download a free copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader at: Adobe - Adobe Reader Download - All versions

pixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gifpixel.gif

No, the Protein powders are not for "weight gain" they are to help "bulk up" weightlifters. They will cause you to gain weight if you eat your regular diet and include them. However if you are using them as Meal Replacements (which we basically are) you will not have an issue with them. I highly recommend Isopure liquid. It comes in 20 fl oz bottles and comes in different flavors (Grape Frost is my fav). It is the consistency of Water and tastes like Crystal Light. If the flavor isn't strong enough for you, you can even add a little Crystal Light to it but I like it just as it is. Each bottle has 40gm of Protein in it so even if you do 1 bottle a day, you'll be all set.

It is very important to get all your protein in. Especially for your hair.

No, the Protein powders are not for "weight gain" they are to help "bulk up" weightlifters. They will cause you to gain weight if you eat your regular diet and include them. However if you are using them as Meal Replacements (which we basically are) you will not have an issue with them. I highly recommend Isopure liquid. It comes in 20 fl oz bottles and comes in different flavors (Grape Frost is my fav). It is the consistency of Water and tastes like Crystal Light. If the flavor isn't strong enough for you, you can even add a little Crystal Light to it but I like it just as it is. Each bottle has 40gm of Protein in it so even if you do 1 bottle a day, you'll be all set.

It is very important to get all your protein in. Especially for your hair.

thanks!!! where can find this? so with isopure i guess i couldnt make a smoothie with it. thats what i enjoy the most. i like mixing soy milk, yogurt, banana and sometimes Peanut Butter to it ...oh with protein powder as a meal or snack. i guess i shouldnt have that as a snack since it could:confused:put weight on me??

Again, I'm not a nutritionist, but it looks like the GNC product you listed is NOT focused on weight gain, and is probably a reasonable Protein source.

I found this on BodyBuildingForYou.com:

"So What's The Big Difference Between Whey Protein Isolate and Concentrate? Most of the whey protein powders you find will contain mostly whey protein concentrate with some whey protein isolate mixed in. You'll also find a lot of pure whey protein concentrate, and some whey protein isolate. Comparing the two, whey protein isolate is more expensive than concentrate - because it's of higher quality(more pure), and have a higher biological value (BV). Whey protein isolate contains more protein with less fat and lactose per serving. Usually, isolate contains 90-98% protein while whey concentrate contains 70-85%.

Whey protein isolate is the highest yield of protein currently available, and it comes from milk. Because of its chemical properties, whey protein is the easiest to absorb into your muscles. Obviously, with its high concentration, whey protein isolate 'would' be the best to use, but like all great things, there's always a downside. It's more expensive, and just because it's more pure, doesn't mean it'll give you more muscle and size. Its extra concentration may not justify the extra costs for you."

So...my nutrionists strongly recommend whey isolate, but what I'm seeing is that there may not be that big a difference. Whey protein appears to be better than soy or collagenic for absorption.

Again, I'm not a nutritionist, but it looks like the GNC product you listed is NOT focused on weight gain, and is probably a reasonable Protein source.

I found this on BodyBuildingForYou.com:

"So What's The Big Difference Between whey Protein Isolate and Concentrate? Most of the whey protein powders you find will contain mostly whey protein concentrate with some whey protein isolate mixed in. You'll also find a lot of pure whey protein concentrate, and some whey protein isolate. Comparing the two, whey protein isolate is more expensive than concentrate - because it's of higher quality(more pure), and have a higher biological value (BV). Whey protein isolate contains more protein with less fat and lactose per serving. Usually, isolate contains 90-98% protein while whey concentrate contains 70-85%.

Whey protein isolate is the highest yield of protein currently available, and it comes from milk. Because of its chemical properties, whey protein is the easiest to absorb into your muscles. Obviously, with its high concentration, whey protein isolate 'would' be the best to use, but like all great things, there's always a downside. It's more expensive, and just because it's more pure, doesn't mean it'll give you more muscle and size. Its extra concentration may not justify the extra costs for you."

So...my nutrionists strongly recommend whey isolate, but what I'm seeing is that there may not be that big a difference. Whey protein appears to be better than soy or collagenic for absorption.

thanks so so much!! so it looks like i'm good then!:eek:

i would like to try the unjury too though.

another critical reason for getting your protein:

When you reduce your calories, your body will burn both fat and muscle to get the needed energy...muscle wastage is a bad thing, especially since your heart is a muscle...

So...by adding Protein and exercising, you're building muscle instead.

Again, my nutritionists recommended against use of the 'bulking' or 'weight gain' Protein shakes because they have high calories and don't stay in the pouch...being liquid, it runs right through into the stomach, and doesn't provide the 'full' feeling that solid food would.

I know that Sam's Club and costco have the EAS Protein shake mixes for about $23 or so for a big bag - chocolate and vanilla - also I've been doing the Isagenix system - they have very good shakes and they also have a unflavored whey powder that has 20 grams per scoop that you can add to the shakes or really almost anything - I usually mix a scoop of the Isagenix with a scoop of the EAS for Breakfast.

out

I know that Sam's Club and costco have the EAS Protein shake mixes for about $23 or so for a big bag - chocolate and vanilla - also I've been doing the Isagenix system - they have very good shakes and they also have a unflavored whey powder that has 20 grams per scoop that you can add to the shakes or really almost anything - I usually mix a scoop of the Isagenix with a scoop of the EAS for Breakfast.

out

thats a good idea! i see EAS in Walmart too and i look at it but i dont know anything about it but thats definitely an option now. good thought about the unflavored powders. since i make smoothies which the yogurt and/or fresh fruit flavors, i dont really need flavored Protein per se

thanks again dbaguy! my dietician really recommended that i phase out the Protein drinks for the same reason of food staying in the pouch longer than the drinks but i cant let go of them! if i have to i will though:( but i see nothing wrong with replacing a meal with it especially when i'm on the go. its better than nothing! so was it clarified if i can still have a Protein Shake as a snack?

I drink the Isopure Protein drinks as part of my daily Water requirement.

Isagenix (mentioned in a post above) is sold as part of a Multi-Level-Marketing program, where you sign on as an associate to get a better price, then sell to friends and relatives and sign on other associates to get a % of what they sell, etc.

Also, although they advertise that their fat burner product doesn't have added caffeine, it has green tea, which has caffeine...

Just like so many unregulated diet supplements, it is hard to find any, and I mean any, independent studies that back their claims about the beneficial effects of their ingredients and, indeed, whether or not theirs any cleansing happening.

the website Junk food Science has a blog entry on this:

Junkfood Science: Can you really cleanse your way to better health?

Because we're all wanting to lose weight and improve our health, it is easy to fall prey to pseudo-science and marketing...it is a multi-billion dollar industry, and the last thing they want is to have the FDA start treating them like real medicine. However, the FDA is starting to take notice...several of the more popular fat burners/diet aids companies were fined earlier this year for false advertising...

yes Isagenix is MLM - which I hate (I've had friends try to sell me Amway/Qwikstar etc etc etc for years and it drives me crazy) - but the products do work - my neighbor got me onto it after she lost over 100 LBS and has kept it off - then my wife started on it and has lost 50 since january - so it's in the house and I need the Protein so now I'm on it - they really do have the best shakes from all the ones I've tasted - they stay with you all morning - it is a little pricey compared to the others - EAS you get way more bang for your buck, like twice as much for the same price - and Sam's Club has a liquid Vitamin that is very good - Liqui-Max I think is what it's called -

out

i dont know what brand mine is, but i know its soy whey protien. Its cheap too. i get it at Walmart for thirteen dollars a large can, (before i spent over 125 dollars on isopure). when i switched i started losing weight, but ...

my nutritionalist looked at me sternly.

said she wants me to only do it once a week or so now and ONLY as Meal Replacement, because...after we heal...here it comes are you ready? "we arent supposed to drink our calories"...

but in the mornings these days i cant do solid food. which will change from day to day. i think my surgeon has a remote control.

i like them for breakfast. i also like them to use as Meal Replacements for the rest of the day if i have a pb.

i put a lot of stuff in mine.

a happy beth shake:

In blender put:

•one small container of probiotic yogurt

•half the same container of 2percent milk

•ten pecans

•one scoop of protien powder

• one tablespoon flax seed oil (to balance the powder and make my hair gorgeous)

•mulitivitamin, calcuim,iron, B12, collegen capsule, acidolpholis (i hate taking pills so its easier for me to grind them up into the shake where i wont taste them)

• a serving of metemucel

• two fat strawberries from a bag of frozen ones i keep in the freezer

• a medium banana

after blending it should fit into a pint glass with no problem. its VERY THICK and sticks to the sides of the glass. (like it sticks to the insides of you!) my husband HATES these and refuses to drink them. I dig them, but i like strange things. it has the consistancy of pudding pretty much. I drink half of it before i go out on my morning bikeride, then half when i get back while im getting ready for work.

i think as long as your carb count is low you should be okay with protien powder, just remember they tell us not to drink our calories, unless tight or pb and only as a Meal Replacement, after you are past the initial full liquid stage.

I have been using a Protein powder, such as Body Fortress chocolate flavored mix in milk. A couple of those is great, because it gives you liquid and each serving is like 23 gr. of protein. It tastes sort of like chocolate milk, so it is soothing. You can get these at any supermarket or a place like Walmart. Give it a try.

Just my 2 cents, but when I was struggling to get my Protein in (and sometimes I still do) and not really liking any of the protein powders I was trying, my nutritionist suggested a serving of nonfat milk powder in my carnation instant breakfast along with my skim milk. I've been doing that everymorning and usually end up with at least 22 grams of protein right off the bat. I like it and it costs so much more less.

The Isopure drinks are nice, because they aren't shakes...I don't really like drinking shakes all the time. Also, they're pretty low calorie, so I don't cross horns with my nutritionists, who say (like yours) not to drink my calories, since it goes right through the stoma and it is easier to go over your calorie limit.