Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Post-op day 2 and regretting

Ashley1213,

It will get better! And I’m not just saying that because you asked me to!

You just got your stomach cut out. It hurts. A lot. But it’s healing, and it will feel better every day. Make sure (nag) you help it feel better by following doctor’s orders to a T. Don’t even think about cheating on the post-op recovery diet, because that can put you in more pain and make weight loss harder down the road.

It’s also really hard mentally right now, and that can make you feel worse. This is the first time you can’t change your mind and back out. It’s done, and it can’t be undone. That’s a scary thing, and it can take a while to get used to. Also, now that you’re actually experiencing it, the whole weight loss surgery journey may actually be becoming REAL, and that’s scary, too.

Hang in there, and it’ll get better, and you’ll look and feel great! Good luck, and keep us posted!

@@Ashley1213

Yes Ashley its going to get better every day!!! Get some gasx for the gas pains, works great! Every day u wi

L b able to drink more Water sip sip sip!!! Good luck on ur journey to a healthier life!

I felt like crap the first 3 days in the hospital! You WILL feel better, trust us.

I was laying there thinking "what did I do to myself??" but you will feel better soon, very soon!

Exactly how I felt slimjill, but with a few cuss words added. Get some flavored water but be sure it's not carbonated. I have been buying Nestle Pure Life at Ralphs for Buy one get two free.

Yes, it most definitely gets better. For me, the incision pain was nothing, the gas pain was what was torture. I actually earned myself an extra day in the hospital because I wouldn't drink, the only fluids I was getting was from the IV. It hurt every time I took a sip of anything. The doctor ended up putting me on two extra drugs that help somewhat. Now I am on mushy foods and having the same issues I was with broth. I am not telling you this to scare you, I am saying that even with all of my "problems" I don't regret anything because for once in my life I am losing weight and feeling good in general :) hang in there.

I think a lot of us had the thought of WTF did I do to myself, "my stomach is now a fraction of its size and I cant get it back....."

It will get better and you won't even probably think about it if you are following the plan.

No regrets here,

jane

Is it true u can never drink soda again some people I asked said they do and it doesn't bother them, I don't drink it but I was just asking cause someone in my weight group said its a myth

You're not supposed to but ur also not supposed to drink caffeine, eat Pasta, rice or bread or stuff with sugar along with a bunch of other things many people try it to see if they can handle it and if they can they do. Not recommended tho.

My mother in law was a soda addict and had this done... She has drank soda.. But within 10 years, She gained ALL of her weight and probably 50lbs +... It's no joke... You have to choose what you want to do.. I have been reading how bad all the High fructose Corn Syrup is for my liver, that I will have a hard time drinking another Pepsi or Coke again for that REASON alone.

There's a whole thread on Diet Coke. One of the last posts was by a nurse and another by a scientist. After reading them there's NO WAY I will touch the stuff.

I am 5 days post op and I promise it gets better. Day 2 I had buyers remorse big time! It will get better, be patient, do what u can and keep reading! We are all here for u! ????

A lady posted this on another thread and I think it's worth posting here.

"The issue with diet coke or any other soda is that it can cause an ulcer in your very small pouch. When you have an ulcer in a regular stomach, they could remove that portion if it won't heal but if you have a very small one, there is nothing for them to do. My brother had Gastric Bypass 10 years ago and started drinking "a little bit" of sodas here and there and then started drinking them pretty regularly. He developed an ulcer in his pouch and had a severe GI bleed. The surgeon told us he was not going to make it, but he did pull through and is doing ok for now. The doctors have told him that the ulcer will always be there and he is in constant danger of another bleed. Believe me, he hasn't touched another soda. It took a few years of getting those little bits in, but it can, and my surgeon assures me, will happen after a period of time. I am also a nurse and I was a diet cokaholic as well but I have now been 3 years without one and I can assure you, I don't miss them now.

I am not preaching, nor am I telling anyone what to do. What you do or do not drink is strictly your own business, just make an informed decision. :)"

food for thought!

Edited by sleevenv

@@sleevenv, that is an amazing story -- and my surgeon said the same thing about caffeine in that it increases risk of a GI bleed. Oral corticosteroids and NSAIDS can do it as well -- which is why they said not to use any of this stuff!! I've been off caffeine for over six months, haven't had a soda in I don't know how long. It has become my new normal.

I pray your brother improves.

Edited by LisaPunkinHead

@@LisaPunkinHead not my story, but it is disturbing. I just reposted someone's.

**Update**

First of all, thank y'all very much for all the positive support and well wishes. I was a little hesitant to join BP bc I wasn't sure if I would get the support I wanted. But, you guys are wonderful and I'm glad I'm here.

Post-op Day 5...today is the first day I've felt semi-human. My brain feels more focused and less under attack from the pain.

Still having a little bit of an issue with gas pain and general intestinal gurgling.

I don't know what the designation of the second incision from the right was but holy #%^*. It must have been torqued on unmercilessly or was the liver retractor site. I have bruised so badly and have such intense pain from that ONE site.

Mild to moderate sharp pain with deep breathing on the left side and a constant aching, burning, tearing pain from that incision on the right. But making due with Tylenol...

I really hope I'm over the hump and maybe by day 7 I'll feel 80%.

The largest incision (usually 2nd under left breast) is where they bring the stomach out and it can hurt for up to 4 weeks or so. I had to wear an abdominal binder for weeks 2-4 almost 24 hrs a day. I still do if I stretch too much. Not sure if they did things different for ur surgery or if this is a different issue but that's my experience.

@@Ashley1213

Are you still taking narcotics at all? I quit the morphine in the hospital because every injection made me sick. It made my intestines go nuts, gurgling and just painful and once it made me nauseous. M nurse said the intestines are trying to wake up and the morphine puts them back to sleep.

I took plain tylenol once I got home.

I was sleeved on July 13. I had a really hard time sipping post OP without getting gas. I basically sipped...belched...sipped...belched...honestly I had more gas pain than post OP pain

It's all gone away here on day 9.

You will feel better

Only thing that hurts now is my abdominal muscles, which I figure is normal for a while longer, and even then only when I do a sit up like motion