Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much do you eat at a meal?

I'm almost 2 months out. I'm just curious how much people are eating at a meal. The food plan they had me on said around 1/2c, but I know the next plan i will move to said eat up to 1 cup. I've been finding I am eating around 1/2 to 3/4 cups, but it seems to depend on what the food is (I seem to eat more fish than chicken or beans). I know the next plan says 1 cup, that just seems a little high and I'm scared of stretching my pouch.

How much is everyone eating? Do you find it is dependent on what type of food?

Oh for sure. If I have 6 oz of steak or 6 oz of fish, I can easily finish all the fish. The steak is denser, so I can only do 3oz at a time. But that's good, because the fish is better for me :)

As a rule, the denser the Protein, the less we should be able to eat of it. Fish and shrimp go down easy, and I can eat quite a bit more of those things. Carbs, too. But that's the reason to stay away from carbs and always do Protein first to fill you up.

If you think a cup of food seems to much, measure out a half cup or 3/4 cup and stop eating when finished. That will help make you feel like you're not overeating :)

Oh for sure. If I have 6 oz of steak or 6 oz of fish, I can easily finish all the fish. The steak is denser, so I can only do 3oz at a time. But that's good, because the fish is better for me :)

As a rule, the denser the Protein, the less we should be able to eat of it. Fish and shrimp go down easy, and I can eat quite a bit more of those things. Carbs, too. But that's the reason to stay away from carbs and always do Protein first to fill you up.

If you think a cup of food seems to much, measure out a half cup or 3/4 cup and stop eating when finished. That will help make you feel like you're not overeating :)

Same here, I am 8 weeks out and at 3/4 cup but the less dense the food is the more I could eat. I measure and make sure to not overeat. I have learned to tell when I am full and try my best to stop before the next bite.

I'm just glad I'm in a similar place as others. I get so nervous about overeating, I'm good about measuring, but not great about it. I know I've never ate over a cup of food, so I don't think I've ruined anything. I will start working on measuring a little better so that I don't stress about it. :)

I'm with @@Babbs and @@ShrinkingPeach - 1/2 cup is my reasonable maximum serving for an entire meal. Every so often I am able to eat more list 3/4 cup, but even at almost 8 months post-op, I'd be absolutely miserable if I tried to eat a full cup. You will find your boundaries as you go along. The wisest thing to do always - EAT Protein FIRST.

I'm with @@Babbs and @@ShrinkingPeach - 1/2 cup is my reasonable maximum serving for an entire meal. Every so often I am able to eat more list 3/4 cup, but even at almost 8 months post-op, I'd be absolutely miserable if I tried to eat a full cup. You will find your boundaries as you go along. The wisest thing to do always - EAT Protein FIRST.

I think I can eat a cup at this point at 11 months out :( I know there is some sort of test with cottage cheese I can do to see exactly how much my sleeve can hold. I'll have to see if I can find it and try it. I've noticed this month how much more I can actually eat if I let myself. I think my awesome happy fun great restriction time is waning a little, and it makes me sad. I'm going to have to be super careful ;)

I think I can eat a cup at this point at 11 months out :( I know there is some sort of test with cottage cheese I can do to see exactly how much my sleeve can hold. I'll have to see if I can find it and try it. I've noticed this month how much more I can actually eat if I let myself. I think my awesome happy fun great restriction time is waning a little, and it makes me sad. I'm going to have to be super careful ;)

That's why I'm realizing I need to measure better. I'm never 'hungry'. Whether I eat 1/2 or 1 cup, doesn't matter. So as long as I always measure out that 1/2 cup and stop there, I won't feel hungry. Just need to get back into the measuring habit.

@@scarletwitch19

That is a good idea because there will come a time when you actually feel hungry again. For me, it was right around the 6.5 month mark.

I also noticed a capacity to eat more at that stage as well so what you eat becomes even more important.

I will say, I have yet to be able to eat a cup of dense Protein. I can however eat a cup of salad with some Protein on it.

@@scarletwitch19 I was just replying to another question similar to this. Like everyone says it depends on what your eating. I can eat 1 cup of shredded lettuce with a thin slice of turkey and thin slice of cheese just fine, but can only handle 4-5 shrimp max! It also depends a lot on the time of day. I can't eat much at all in the AM my stomach is pretty dang tight then so I do Protein Shakes and can't usually even get the whole cup in but as the day goes on it loosens up a bit.

I'm 20 weeks post-op today and am still sitting at about 1/3 to 1/2 a cup per meal.

I get most of my Protein via the shakes as eating meat doesnt really sit well in my stomach.

Therefore, what I eat is mainly vegetables.

I thought my capacity would have increaesed by now but it seems to be staying at about the same as sleeve time.

That's most definitely not a complaint!!

I've not once been hungry post-op.

Yes, I've had 'the fancies'... But I've not been hungry at all.

To the point where it's sometimes a chore to eat..

Anyway, that's where I'm at...

Kinda...

@@Babbs Oooh. Are you going to try it?!

I think so...I'll let you know the results!

I am 4 weeks out today.

Tonight I'm eating approx. 2oz of deli chicken wrapped around approx. 1oz sliced Babybel cheese.

I use approximately above because both are slightly fewer in ounces. I've been working on dinner for a couple of hours and I'm at the point where I'm going to wrap it up and put it away. I have to go to bed sometime!

I ate almost 1/4 cup of Cream of Wheat this morning - that's the most I've been able to do in one sitting.