Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Vacation after surgery question

Hi, I'm new here but already have an important question......

I just got approved yesterday by my insurance co. and am scheduled for surgery on July 20th. Yipeeeeeee! :whoo: The issue is....my husband, 12-year-old son, and I, are going on vacation for a week beginning August 5th, which is roughly 2 weeks after surgery. We are getting on a house boat on a lake in Arkansas. Will I be ready to do this so soon? Will I feel good enough?......What will I be eating by this time?.......Will I need to be nearer to my Dr. that soon after?......:eek:

I don't have a clue as to what to expect after surgery. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thank you so much!

Jenny

Hi Jenny,

I'm planning to be on vacation a little under two weeks after surgery as well. It won't be on a houseboat, but I'm traveling far from home.

Having been through the surgery before I am not worried. I know I'm a good healer, and two weeks after surgery I expect to be nothing more than a little sore or stiff. Other people have different experiences, and of course there's always the chance something unexpected will happen (like an infection), but if everything goes as I expect them to two weeks will be enough recuperation time. (I'm scheduled for surgery on a Monday, and I'm planning to go back to work that Thursday. Vacation starts a week from that Saturday, so I'll be 12 days out of surgery when it starts.)

Have you ever had laparascopic surgery before? Any surgery? Healing times vary considerably for everyone, so I think your best gauge is what your experience was if you've been through anything like this before.

As far as what you're eating by then, that's up to your doctor. Most patients would be on a full liquids or mushy food diet by then; some very few docs might still limit their patients at two weeks out to Clear Liquids (unusual, I think). With a little planning you shouldn't have any trouble as long as you have access to refrigeration on the boat.

How far away is the lake from your doctor? What are your doctor's post-op eating instructions?

Generally speaking, I think you will be OK since the vacation you describe is pretty laid back. I was a good 10 days before I felt 90% normal. You'll have to be very very careful not to overdo it as you PREPARE for your vacation (shopping, packing, etc.) If you're going to have any problems eating, you'll know it before you leave...and if you want to be extra precautious you can stay on fluids and mushies during your vacation, staying far away from any real solid food like meats or raw vegetables.

The other alternative is to postpone your surgery until after you return, of course. It's only another month. If it were ME, that's probably what I would do.

Sounds like a wonderful getaway!

I was on full liquids ( pudding, yogurt, broth) for a week, then on mushie food for three weeks.

For me, by a week after surgery, I wasn't hurting very much anymore. The only real pain I felt at that point was at my port site, and only for a few minutes when I stood up after sitting for a while. At 10 days after surgery, I was back on the treadmill with no noticeable pain. When sleeping, if I rolled over kind of on the side where my port was, I'd get a bit of a sting-type pain, but that has subsided as well.

Thanks so much for replying so quickly. I feel quite a bit better and now think that this is very do-able.

I am a quick healer. After my C-section, I refused to take pain medication because I started breast-feeding right away. And I was up and walking around one day after surgery. I hate to be immobile!

There is a refrigerator on the boat, and I may have to stock it with puddings, popsicles, and yogurt, and the cupboards with Soup, but that's fine with me. I have waited long enough and really don't want to postpone anything at this point, if you know what I mean!

Thanks again,

Jenny

I had my surgery a week ago. I had little/no pain post op and have not needed any pain medication. I have to keep reminding myself to take it easy.

I have houseboated in Arkansas in August and I have one major concern for you. It is so HOT that it is almost unbearable. The only relief from the heat is to stay in the lake from early morning until the sun goes down!! If Arkansas is having a hot summer (which is almost 100% guaranteed) the Water in lakes can become quite full of bacteria, As the summer progresses and lake Water begins to evaporate the bacteria concentration can get dangerously high. My children all got severe swimmers ear infections and stomach problems from the water. A Dr. we took them to told me that by the end of August sometimes the fish even start dying.

I know every Dr. has different rules about how long after surgery you need to wait to swim, but I would have grave concerns about your incisions and the cleanliness of Arkansas lake water. I don't think it would be safe to swim, or even shower (houseboats take the water directly out of the lake - and other than the toilets you can see used water from your sinks and showers, bubbles and all, drain directly into the water).

Unless you want to spend most of your time inside the boat with the air conditioning running (which costs a fortune in gas) I would either postpone my surgery until after houseboating or not go houseboating this year.

Best of Luck!!

Oh, that's a very good point, Lexy! I was not able to swim until 6 weeks post-op! :mad:

I went on a campin vacation three days after surgery and I am doing just fine. I was banded on June 21st and left for vacation on the 24th. My husband has to do a lot but i think getting away with him and walking and resting did me a world of good.

:unsure: I'm scheduled to have surgery in a week. We're planning a week vacation on a chartered bus to Canada and Pa. Dutch Country in October. The meals, plans, etc. are all planned for us. What will I be able to eat in four months and should I take my shaker to prepare Protein Shakes in the room w/water?

Hi there,

I think I would've been okay at 2 weeks out to do this kind of a vacation. If your 12 yr old is pretty self suffient and can help with carrying things then you should do pretty well. Please keep in mind though, that you will probably feel like resting more -- and it sounds like you've got a great place to do that.

At the 2 week stage, most people are on soft foods so you that will be much nicer for you than liquids. I also found that I had a little more energy when I transitioned from liquids to soft.

I hope everything goes well with your surgery and that you have a lovely vacation.

Thanks for your reply but do you remember what you could eat 3-4 months after surgery? I don't want to go unprepared on the bus trip.

Thanks.:unsure: