Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have lots of questions about my DS surgery, and I'm hoping to get some answers.

Swelling. I've been told I'll have it. How long does it last? Will I be able to swallow my pills?

Nausea. Again, how long does it last and how severe is it? Are we talking barfing or just mild seasickness?

Do you really just lose weight that fast?

Does your energy level increase accordingly?

Any tips for avoiding the loose skin thing? I'd really prefer not to look like a SharPei when I'm done. I'll take it, but it's not my preferred look.

Ladies, am I going to lose the Girls entirely? Because Idk if I can handle that one.

OK, I'm going to go breathe deeply and try not to cry. I'm so scared.

Edited by Mindy Allen

Everyone's experience seems to be different.

My stomach stay rock hard from gas and swelling for 4 to 5 days. I had no issues swallowing anything.

I was lucky and had no nausea, they sent me home with anti-nausea pills but I never had to use them.

Today marks one month since surgery, I am down 57lbs. Admittedly I started at 427, so I have a lot to lose.

Energy was low while I was on liquid diet, but has picked up since. Went through a week of being very iratable. Feel great now.

I am worried about the Sharpei look as well. Doctor just gave me ok to start working out. Maybe that will help?

I am a male so I can say that I am praying for the "girls" to disappear :)

Just drink your fluids and try to take a lot of short walks - it really helps with the discomfort from the post op gas.

Go in with a positive attitude, you are making a brave choice and it will change your life in great ways.

Goodluck!

Thanks. That helps a lot. I'm super nervous, but I'm super determined to be healthy.

I had nausea the first couple of days that was well controlled in the hospital and with meds once I got home. I never actually vomited (to this day), just felt ill.

Swelling (internally) really only relates to how much you can intake at a time. I could tolerate about an ounce of liquid every 15 minutes for the first two days and that steadily increased as the days went on.

Yes, you do lose quickly, BUT, know when you return from the hospital you might have actually gained a bit because of all the fluids that thye pump into your body. Also, it is likely you will stall around the 3rd week for a short time as your body adjusts. To help make sure you are pushing to get all your Water and Protein in daily (or as much as you can manage). Try different temperatures and/or mixing in crystal light or mio. I had a hard time drinking plain Water for the first month because the surface tension made if feel like I was drinking rocks. I mixed it with crystal light lemon tea and voila I could drink! And of course walk, walk, walk. Increase time and distance daily.

Skin...some of it is genetic, some of it is age and the elasticity you have. It is important to drink and get your Protein in to help. But depending on your weight and how you carry it, there will likely be skin. Of course working on toning will also help. Losing large amounts of weight (even slowly) will leave skin. Fortunately, there is always the option for plastics later down the road. Me as of right now, I just want to be healthy. I will deal with sags later if it bothers me.

Energy does really ramp up once you start eating soft foods and solids and as the weight comes off. I'm about 3.5 months post-op and my energy somedays is through the roof. I feel absolutely fantastic. Does that mean I have energy everyday? No way, there are definitely days when I want to be lazy but that is normal for everyone.

The girls. Again, body type, age, etc...all have to be taken into consideration. The girls may get you attention, but is that truely the attention you seek, or is it to be healthy and able to do things you never imagined being able to do. I have gone from a 50F to a 44DDD and still shrinking. It is nice to fit into an 18 top and not feel the stretch. Again, IF down the road you really desire plastics is always an option. There are several people on the forums that have had plastics done and can describe their experiences, costs, etc...

Oh and being scared and wanting to cry is very normal. My poor husband had to listen to me go back and forth because I was scared. I can tell you my only regret is that I didn't do this years earlier. Good luck to you!

I have lots of questions about my DS surgery, and I'm hoping to get some answers.
Swelling. I've been told I'll have it. How long does it last? Will I be able to swallow my pills?
Nausea. Again, how long does it last and how severe is it? Are we talking barfing or just mild seasickness?
Do you really just lose weight that fast?
Does your energy level increase accordingly?
Any tips for avoiding the loose skin thing? I'd really prefer not to look like a SharPei when I'm done. I'll take it, but it's not my preferred look.
Ladies, am I going to lose the Girls entirely? Because Idk if I can handle that one.
OK, I'm going to go breathe deeply and try not to cry. I'm so scared.