Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what foods are you all eating 2 months post RNY?

Hello everyone I am just shy of 9 weeks out with the RNY. I'm down almost 67lbs but honestly it's because I simply cannot eat. I gag getting the Protein Shakes down and have slowed my progress I think, because of that. I am curious what others are able to tolerate at this stage as I struggle to get Protein in besides the shakes.< /p>

Gosh sorry you are having that trouble! I start mushy foods tomorrow and having some anxiety about that. My NUT gave me the following suggestions (which I suppose you have already tried?) - no sugar added applesauce, refried Beans with lowfat cheese melted on top, no sugar greek yogurt, Protein pudding (mix Protein powder with milk first then add to powdered no sugar pudding), etc. Have you been to http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com ? She has a lot of great recipes. I'm definitely going to try the ricotta bake ASAP.

PS Call your NUT!

I'm 10 weeks out. I eat a lot of yogurt, cheeses, chilli, hamburgers/turkey burgers with no bun, soft cooked veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, steamed carrots, cabbage, and mushrooms so far), sushi with no rice, cottage cheese, fruit, eggs (but i don't really like them so much :( ). I get chicken, black Beans and cheese from mexican restaurants/Chipotle. And soft grilled fish.

I still am not supposed to have raw veggies and no fruit with a peel or anything that's very stringy. I can't have steak or pork/ham yet, but I do eat soft cooked bacon and turkey bacon.

How do you do it!! LOL i just saw my doc the other day and he suggested branching out with soft foods and seeing what works yet every tine I chew something... And I CHEW CHEW CHEW it feels like I want to puke. One or two bites. So upsetting

Has eating foods slowed your loss? Are you getting your fluids in?

My dr said I need more calories but it is so hard to think of something to eat. I'm so sick of chicken. I really never get hungry & I'm so afraid of overeating. Nothing really sounds good to me. I get maybe 400-500 calories a day, they told me to get 1000. I'm sure not eating enough is slowing my weight loss. I've been stuck for almost 2 weeks. Good luck to you & know your not alone.

As long as your getting your Protein in (even if it's in shake form) and enough fluids you should be ok. Just keep taking your Vitamins. You will eventually get to eating. I don't see how not eating can slow your progress and long as your doing the rest. After all that is what we did right after surgery and we lost weight then?

I agree. I struggle so hard trying to get the liquids and Protein in it makes me so sick. I dont do well with artifical sweetners, and now I am struggling with dairy products so I have to switch to a plant based protein with almond milk. Hopefully this helps me get the shakes down. I still have this weird sensation when food hits my pouch like my body just doesnt want anything in it and I hate it.

I've also had trouble getting more than a few bites in of anything and can only eat half a scrambled egg before I get this sensation of it possibly getting stuck.

I'm eating great in comparison. I'm 9 weeks post op. I do a lot of chicken, hamburger/turkey patties (usually about 1/3 to a 1/2)and fish. I eat soft cooked veggies (cabbage, squash, carrots, beans) and the only raw veggies are lettuce (salads), tomatoes, cucumbers. eggs go down well (boiled or scrambled). Fruits bananas, strawberries, grapes. Dairy is well tolerated so I incorporate cheese, yogurt, but haven't been brave enough to try milk. I am sticking to my almond milk. If I go out to eat it's very difficult. I feel it's like I am being difficult. Many restaurants are ok with selling me a kid's meal so pairing a bunless burger with a salad or Beans works. It's gotten easier. Quest Protein Bars are ok, I like the pb&j one and the white chocolate raspberry. I keep trying different things. Apples and drier meats are a no go. I have found a new love for sweet potatoes.

Oh and lastly, I don't eat much at one sitting. I think it's difficult for my husband to watch because I get excited about trying something new and then after 3 bites I'm done. He is adjusting, but he ask if I'm sure 20 times.

@@MamaDDDD

"How do you do it!! LOL i just saw my doc the other day and he suggested branching out with soft foods and seeing what works yet every tine I chew something... And I CHEW CHEW CHEW it feels like I want to puke. One or two bites. So upsetting
Has eating foods slowed your loss? Are you getting your fluids in?"

I assume this was for me. Don't confuse how many foods I can eat with how MUCH i can actually eat. It's very little and sometimes it can be very frustrating, especially on a day where I'm behind on Protein or at a meal where I very much enjoy my food. I eat small things several times a day, but not actual meals unless I am physically hungry. I'm not usually very hungry until dinner time. dinner is about a half cup of food or less, and I rarely finish a serving of anything.

Everything i eat is soft. It takes me about 20 minutes to eat and I'm particular about how things are prepared. Veggies are overcooked, meats are mixed with some sort of low fat sauce or greek yogurt to keep them moist, and I cannot and do not eat and drink at the same time, it hurts and i get too full. I take small bites, and chew chew chew. Some foods haven't gone down as well. Anything too dry or too dense makes me feel yucky and sometimes it will come right back up.

My weight loss is steady, I'm averaging about 3 lbs a week. It is slower than it was when I was fresh off the operating table and not eating, but that's of course because now I'm eating more. And I'm eating more because I'm also exercising A LOT. At least 5 days a week. Cardio and lots of weight training. My body needs food to run and lift weights. If I don't eat enough, I get headaches and dizzy sensations when I exercise, which is dangerous. After I exercise, I'm very very hungry.

If you're getting in your liquids and Protein and taking all of your Vitamins, technically your body can subsist on that alone. It is frustrating not to be able to eat, but don't push yourself. Try soft foods, try Soups and add Protein powder, try yogurts/cottage cheese and see how those things work. It's possible that maybe you dont like soft foods because of new texture issues. I have texture issues and some taste issues now that I've had surgery. I used to love boiled eggs. Now they make me wanna vomit.

My surgery was in November, and I really struggled with the Protein shakes and greek yogurt. The shakes or yogurt would get stuck and then I would have to drink warm Water to help it go down. My NUT told me about Isopure Tea. It wasn't that bad, I could drink about half a bottle a day. The full bottle has 40 grams of Protein, so if you can do the full bottle, good for you! Even now, 7 months post-op, I still can't get the shakes and greek yogurt down easily. I make the shakes pretty runny and I put fruit with some of their natural juices in my greek yogurt to thin that down. Don't give up! Just keep trying different things. I had a hard time at the beginning with eggs and almost all meats. I just keep trying them to see if things are easier or better. Some are, and some things I still can't get down. But as long as my blood work comes back good and I still look healthy and feel good, I'm not stressing out over what I can't eat or how much I may or may not be getting in my body. Good luck! Keep with it! I'm down 90+ lbs and couldn't be happier!

Amazing!!! Thank you all SO MUCH for the input. I had another bad day today. As soon as I attempted a bite of a Boca burger I felt like I was going to puke. And I did. I had to make myself puke. Then my insides were so annoyed with that I had a difficult time swallowing Water. Feels like a lump behind my left breast with every sip of Water then I gag. UGH These new little pouches are so temperamental. I just miss feeling like a "normal" person. I look normal from the outside and its just the process of getting my mind to accept that I am very different from most people on the inside. I want to take a bite of turkey with gravy, chew it and have it sit there but it just comes up. Everything for that matter besides a smooth refried bean. WATERY refried bean actually. I bought a few dairy free items today to see if perhaps my doctors suggestion that I may be developing a lactose issue is in fact, true. I switched to a plant based Protein as well. When I spoke to the office today because I was experiencing these issues AGAIN, she said that alot of this may be in my mind. Like a fear or nerves and stress that makes my pouch upset before the food gets down and I vomit it up. Also, she noted that many patients feel like this until the 4-5 month mark when the body is healed more and that nasty saliva stuff just kind of resolves itself on its own. Thank you all so much. So supportive!!!

I had And still have dame problem, did you ask for endoscopy to see if there is a restriction? I had one, they enlarge it twice. Still now on some day I vomit all that I eat, I star exercise and I'm more hungry so I eat faster and then I vomit, so look into bite size and chewing time. Good luck, I feel very frustrated when I can't eat, or I vomit right after.