Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Those who are unsupportive

My parents are trying to talk me out of Lapband. They said it will "ruin my entire life". It will change my life but I want to be reasonable and not so head-strong for Lapband that I will not even consider anything else.

I guess the band ruined my life if you think that running 6km a day, eating healthier than 95% of the population, living my life to the fullest, regaining my health, and looking as good as I feel is ruining my life. Then yeah. Totally ruined.

The lapband will not Ruin your life...it will change your life for the Better...It forces you to eat healthier foods, better Portion Control, and exercise. I feel great, I have more energy and better health (proven by labs).

Research all your options, but the Lapband is less invasive a choice. If you've been like most of us on here and have done diet after diet and yo-yo'd down and up and up and up this is just the change you are looking for.

Everyone was very supportive of me doing this until the last days before I was scheduled to have it done...At which point my mom (and others) were asking me all sorts of questions including asking if I was sure I wanted to do this. They were just nervous, anytime someone has surgery it's nerve wracking to the people around them. As well as they didn't have all the information I did. I researched this thoroughly and had all my questions answered...but the people around me didn't research it like I did. And on top of that, they go but what they hear on the TV. and news.

Do what's right for you!

What exactly do they mean by "ruin your entire life"? If your entire life revolves around eating to the expense of any regard for your health, then I'd agree. But that's the only circumstance in which I can say that being banded would "ruin" one's life.

I guess the band ruined my life if you think that running 6km a day, eating healthier than 95% of the population, living my life to the fullest, regaining my health, and looking as good as I feel is ruining my life. Then yeah. Totally ruined.

LOL well said !!:)The band has done nothing but give me my life back NOT ruin it, people that try and say these things are just non understanding of WLS and frightened of the unknown to them. Parenets should be supportive 100%, not trying to put people down for making a very brave decision ! My band was the best decison of my life i just wish i had done it a long time ago.

Liz xxxx

I didn't have a life for almost ten years before getting banded. NOW, I have a life. I can keep up with my son. I'm not embarrased to go out and be social.

I think it depends on what you consider a life. What I had before was not a life. I realize that now.

My parents are trying to talk me out of Lapband. They said it will "ruin my entire life". It will change my life but I want to be reasonable and not so head-strong for Lapband that I will not even consider anything else.

When you were 6 years old your parents knew better than you but now you are 35 and you are the one who is best equipped to make your own decisions. You have been reading over the posts on this site and I imagine that you have a very good idea of the good, the bad, and the ugly. The majority of us who post here have had/are having positive experiences with the band. I am real happy with my band. I am eating more carefully and the band has helped me with my big problem which was Portion Control. I have gone from wearing an 18W pant to wearing a 12P. My BMI is now 24.9 and my cholesterol results finally look good after years of looking kinda bad.

The surgery is relatively easy. Where I was banded the surgery is day surgery and I was back home the same night. I spent the next three days in bed and, apart from the gas pains, really enjoyed myself. I enjoyed the pain meds, reading, napping, and feeling like I had a license to do nothing much. The cat kept me company and that was cosy. By the 4th day I was bored and so I got up, washed, got dressed, and started goofing on the computer.

What I like about the lapband is that it is adjustable. If you do become sick and need to eat more, well, they can defill your band. There are other forms of weight loss surgery but they are much more invasive surgeries and thus are more dangerous and these surgeries are not adjustable or reversible.

Of course, as you probably already know, the band is a tool, a fabulous tool. :biggrin1: It physically stops you from eating as much but it is up to you to make sure that you eat the right foods. This is important, too. You need to make sure that you get enough Protein and other nutrients. I am crazee about my band.:)

First off... for those of you who have lost over 100lbs...WAY TO GO! I love to see those kind of stats.

Now for the topic. If you have done the research, looked at your options and feel that the lapband is the way to go then do it.

It took me 2 years to decide to do this surgery. I personally know two people who did the same thing with the same doctor and they were doing fine. I kept telling myself I could do this on my own. But I kept failing on my own. I finally decided to do it and was not going to tell anyone but my husband. I was afraid my parents and sisters would try to talk me out of it. Instead to my surprise they were all very supportive and excited that I chose to do this. I am glad I had their support. But I would have done it anyway with out it.

What I dont understand is why society thinks its okay for people to have cosmetic surgery every day. Its okay to have a face lift or a Tummy Tuck because you are not happy with what age is doing to your body. But if you make that hard decision to have WLS, then your doing something wrong. You're copping out. BULL!!! This is a tool to help you get back on track. This is a tool to help you feel full when you make healthier choices in your diet. That is all this is. JUST A TOOL. It is not a majic pill that make the fat fall off. We all can't afford private chefs and trainers to force us to eat right and exercise. So if we have chosen something that can help us, then be happy for us and back off!

Okay...I'm done venting for now. Sorry, but this is a sore subject with me.

Sounds to me like your parents just have a lack of knowledge when it comes to lap band. Mine were the same way. They think they knew but just didn't. The only thing is they have been pretty supportive of me. Try and educate them a bit more on the subject if you can. But honestly its your decision and not theres.

I spent some of my inheritance money on mine. It was money well spent. ;) I'm gonna spend some more on a face lift this fall. I figure I am gonna enjoy my rusting years.:heh:

I know how you feel. When I first decided to have the surgery, I mentioned it to my mom & sisters and they said I didn't need to have it done, I could do it myself, yada,yada, yada. I said if it were that easy, it'd be done already, DUH.....anyway, my surgery date is right around the corner and I've decided not to tell them. I'm an adult and I make my own decisions. If they ask, I won't lie, but I'm not volunteering the information.

Bottom line, your doing this for youself, your health and well being, no one elses. One naysayer said to me, people die from those surgeries! my reply was,more fat people die from strokes, heart attacks and lord knows what else every day , what about that? he shut up.