Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Did anyone get there lap band done in mexico?

Dr. Zapata in Monterrey and he is fabulous. He's done over 7000. and he charges 7500.00 this month for everything. Hotel stay, travel, meals, food for after being banded, free fills for life and hotel transportation. Mario, his driver will also take you anywhere you want to go. HE's the best in my opinion. If you have any questions pm me. I have all of they're phone numbers, cell numbers, pager numbers, and staff. I also have pictures of the hospital. I love him.

I have been reading some of your posts and you glorify Aceves and the city of Mexicali and you consistently thrash Tijuana. I'm curious as to why or your true motives because from what I've read, some of the best bariatric surgeons are in Tijuana. I called my aunt who lives in Ensenada and constantly (almost daily due to her job) travels to Tijuana and Mexicali and she tells me first hand that things are just as good or bad in both cities. She also tells me that military checkpoints have been in place in most major cities in Mexico for the last 25 years, including Mexicali.

I'm traveling to Tijuana soon, and I will be visiting Dr. Gonzalez and Dr. Ortiz and Im just going to check things out for myself. I'll keep you all posted. I'm tired :tired of all this heresay by people like Bubble Butt who obviously push their surgeon by talking trash about others. I feel that If you are going to give information, give first hand accounts of things and don't just spread rumors to benefit or harm peolpe.

Nope, I don't work for Dr. Aceves. I also don't consistantly trash TJ doctors. I don't care for TJ, I do believe it is a dangerous city. That's my opinion, you are not required to agree.

I don't talk trash about other surgeons just because they are in TJ, I do refer to the city and the city is dangerous.

pkr914: I'm really into research now because I want the best for myself. Yes, I have heard of Doctor lopez and contrary do the Thrashing and uninformed Bubble Butt, he is among the top three or four bariatric surgeons in northern Mexico: Juan Antonio Lopez, Ariel Ortiz, Francisco Gonzalez and in Monterrey Rumbaut. Do your homework, check each one out, their policies on follow up, proximity to the border and lastly, prices. That is what I have been doing, I'm traveling to Tijuana, I have an appointment with Dr. Gonzalez and I'm getting in with Dr. Ortiz as well, I'm going with 60% hard facts, 30% their facilities and 10% the personal consultation. I'll make up my maind then and keep you posted!

Dr. Lopez from Betancourt? If you want to go to him, by all means! Go. Nobody is stopping you. But you have been warned. You claim he is one of the top 3-4 bariatric surgeons in northern Mexico. Feel free to prove your case. I'll wait.

You sure seem to have an agenda for someone who has a grand total of 10 posts. Your name wouldn't be Dee, would it?

I must say there are a lot of people on this board trying to silence the truth..very sad. I got a post from one of Dr. Alvarez patients asking me not to post links were folks could check on their Mexican doctors credentials. You tell me who has the hidden agenda, someone who posts their research or someone who doesnt want all the info out there so others can use it to make up their own minds. I think a lot of these "please dont bash my doctor" folks are actually associated with the doctors who's dirty secretes they are covering. The one who contacted me, did so under an unused screen name...smart! Unfortunately not smart enough to keep from using the phrase "just my 2 cents" in all her posts regardless of which screen name she is using. LOL

Houstonwehavea, what I mean by Dr. Alvarez's numbers being fixed, is that I dont believe that he has performed 1400 surgeries when he has only been doing this surgery for 1 year. FAR more established doctors who have been placing the lap bad for 10 times as many years only average about 350 to 600 surgeries per year. We are supposed to believe this unknown has racked up twice as many? I have had personal experience with Dr. Alvarez's clinic as well and found the experience very NEGATIVE. Also, I checked the website of the American College of Surgeons and Alvarez is not listed as one of their docs, although he lists them as a credential. I wont bother posting the link here because god forbid "just my two cents" should read it and leave another rant about the pearls of withholding information.

ClaraD. All Doctors are going to have happy and unhappy patients. What you really have to take into consideration is:

The type of grievances their patients have

The number of unhappy patients, relative to the total number of patients.

It can be harder to judge a doctor, when he/sh has very little feedback. Why not choose one that is well know instead. There seem to be at least 6 out there who are very well known and well liked. Most will give you a break on the price if you are short of funds. Remember, a poorly placed babd can result in the band needing to be removed. So its not just the risk of an infection, you're also risking the loss of your band, hence the loss of your $8000. Of course thats "just my 2 cents" LOL

I just went to Dr. Rodriguez in Monterrey, MX and just loved him. I just got back and my experience was great! There are so many wonderful doctors in Mexico, you just have to find the right one for you!

Hi, I"m thinking of going to Dr. Aceves. How much does he charge? Do you have any follow up care here in AZ? If so, where?

Thank you!

I was banded in Tijuana 4/14/08 by Dr. Francisco Gonzalez. I have not had any problems and it was a great experience but, I was convinced before I went I would not have and problems. The mind is a great tool if you use it right. Best wishes to all that go to Mexico, there are many great Dr's there.

I first had Dr. Lopez and after many complications including infection and not having any follow up and not able to talk to the doctor directly - I looked around and the only two doctors who would take me where Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Valencia. I choose Dr. Valencia and have not regretted it. He still calls me personally and checks in with me. I wish I had researched and found this website before I had my lap band. I especially like the research Wasabubblebutt did on finding a doctor in Mexico. Good luck with who ever you choose but remember it is your life and you and you alone know what you want in a doctor. do you want follow up? Do you want to talk to the doctor directly or will a cordinator do? Do you want a hospital or a clinic? Etc Etc

I went to Dr Ortiz in Tijuana and I had a great experience, surgery on Tuesday and back at work o Saturday, that was 2 years ago and i would do it again!

I know I am coming into this conversation a bit late but I went to Dr. Pedro Kuri (Lap Band Surgery - Dr. Kuri & Associates) on Dec. 5, 2008 for my surgery. I cannot say enough about Dr. Kuri, his staff, and Hospital Angeles. They were top notch. I have posted several times on the forums about my experience in going to Mexico for surgery. I would recommend Dr. Kuri to anyone that is considering this surgery.