Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pills...extrememly confused...

How do you take pills?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. How do you take pills?

• I crush ALL my pills (or look for a chewable or liquid version)
    • I swallow pills whole.
    • I crush larger pills, but swallow little pills whole.

I was told I would have to crush ALL pills FOR LIFE, by my surgeon. It's in my "lapband" binder too (given to me by my surgeon). I was told this is because pills can get "stuck".

I keep reading on here about people "taking pills". They never mention crushing/chewing the pill. Do some of you swallow whole pills?

My doctor told me that only the big "horse pills" need to be cut in half but regular aspirin size are ok. Then when they tried to give me a bigger pill in the hospital I told them I needed it cut in half. When the nurse came back with it she told me she had cut it in half but that she had checked and that I really didn't need to have it cut in half. I will still cut the big ones in half cuz I'm not sure who she checked with. But I do suppose it depends on the size of your band and how full it is (mine is a 8cc and I haven't had a fill yet). So while I would think you could take smaller pills, that's a decision you need to make.

PS - I grew up in Racine WI, worked in Milwaukee for 13 years, then moved to Richmond 6 years ago. I do miss WI!!!! But will forever be a Packer fan!

I've been taking what seems to be a lot of pills since I was banded -- birth control, Prilosec, and the Vicodin that I was given for pain after the surgery. I don't crush any of them and I haven't had any problems at all, even with the Vicodin, which was pretty big. I would still check with your doctor to be sure.

Hope that helps, Momma.

My Dr told me I dont need to crush any pills. He told me to drink some liquid with it but that it will dissolve just as it did before surgery. I must admit my Vitamins have been making me feel yucky not from getting stuck or anything though. I may try a chewable to see if it helps.

I have been banded for over a year now and I only had to crush my pills in the beginning. pills disolve so I don't see what the problem is if taken with a bit of Water?

Carol

I was told that while you probably would have to crush some pills initially, or at least cut them into halves or pieces, eventually you should be able to swallow most pills (not huge caplets probably). I just had my first fill yesterday and took 6 pills this morning....all whole, with exception of two caplets which I broke in half. Nothing stuck at all. It is totally a personal thing. I was told to start with the smallest pill....something about the size of a thyroid pill...try it, see if it works, and work my way up size-wise experimenting.

Thanks everyone. I never understood having to crush little pills. I can understand the BIG pulls, but advil size, not so much. Thanks for all the quick replies :)

Thanks for asking this MM! I also have a daily horse-pill that I need to take, and I have trouble getting it down pre-band! I joked with my primary care doctor yesterday during my pre-op that I would need to cut it into 3s to get it down.

I don't do well with Vitamins. Most of them make me very nauseous. I found a brand at the health food store that I have taken in the past, it makes me feel great, and I don't get sick, but they are HUGE and you have to take three a day. Now I'm concerned. How many of you take liquid vitamins? My doc says that when he does my band, he will require me to chew flintstones vitamins!! I busted out laughing. I thought he was kidding me!!

I'm paranoid about pills...haven't had my first fill yet, but crush everything, just to be safe. Especially time-release tablets, which are designed to dissolve slowly. I don't know how long pills take to dissolve, but we don't have any stomach acid in our pouch, so if it does get stuck, is the only thing that would help is drinking Water?

I was told to use papaya enzyme to help with stuck food, but I'm not sure it would help with pills.

I only break really big pills in half. I don't crush anything.

DBAguy, you cannot crush time release pills. They are designed that way so you don't get the full dose of the medicine at once. If you crush it, you get all of it at once, and it doesn't go slow through your system like it is supposed to. If you have time release medications you are taking, and you can't take the pills, you should switch (if you can) to the none time release type, but you'll need to take it more often...