Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr. Ariel Ortiz at the OCC

I've read mostly positive posts about Dr. Ortiz and OCC on this and other forums. A few people don't seem to like his "celebrity" status and I did find some older complaints about their bands. Anyone out there with bad experiences or complications with their sleeves from him?

My husband, who is not on VST got sleeved 6/18/13 and had a wonderful experience. The OCC took care of him and when he had questions or issues the hotel helped facilitate his requests. He is doing great and has had no complications what so ever. I can honestly say between my sleeve in the us and his with Dr. Ortiz the only difference is incision location and size (not major differences)

Both my sister and my brother in law who are doctors had their sleeves done by Dr. Ortiz. they are 1 year and 6 months out and are delighted. I hope to have mine there in early October. they did lots of research and feel this is the best route.

their daughter had hers done in the US and had much more pain and a longer healing time.

Raven123

I will be there Oct 7th. Very nervous and I'm a nurse!

}}i{{ Sent from my iPhone using VST }}i{{

Yes - I had my VSG with Dr. Ortiz at the OCC in February 2013. You are welcome to read my blog as I was looking for any and all info I could find before surgery www.hoosierfatty.wordpress.com hopefully this is helpful to you.

Had a good surgery and smooth recovery. The most difficult part of the whole process was BEFORE surgery. Crazy random thoughts, frequent inner-discussion about why I couldn't lose weight on my own, friends worried about my safety, etc. Bottom line is this: if you can get past the geography and keep yourself from a nervous breakdown, Dr. Ortiz and staff are very skilled at what they do. Good luck...

Sleeved August 2nd with Dr. Ortiz. Feeling great and had a great experience. Have had very responsive correspondance since I've been home as well. Happy to answer any questions and tell you about my experience.

HoosierGirl,

thank you for the link to your blog. Your detaild account of the experience helped a lot.

Raven123,

Can I ask what your sister and brother-in-law's deciding factors were in choosing OCC over other Mexican options? Did they also look at US drs?

I had surgery with Dr. Ortiz @ OCC July 1st. Happy to answer any questions you may have. Best thing I have ever done! Definitely plan on going back for plastics.

I had surgery July 15, Feeling great and had a great experience.

Has anyone tried to get copies of their medical records from the OCC post surgery? I am having no luck in getting an actual answer, and I am having some pain issues that won't go away. My local Dr insists on seeing the records but won't contact the OCC directly, saying I must, but I'm getting the run-around. Would love to hear from others who have received their copy or tried. Thanks!

I haven't tried yet but my discharge papers say to give them a two week period to expedite. I guess I should start working on getting mine. Sorry to hear that you are having some pain.

I haven't tried yet but my discharge papers say to give them a two week period to expedite. I guess I should start working on getting mine. Sorry to hear that you are having some pain.

Thanks Angela.m yes, my papers said 2 weeks too, and tomorrow will be three weeks. That's not what concerns me, it that when I asked I've been passed around from staff member to staff member and nobody will give me a straight answer or even respond to my latest request.

I requested my records 2 weeks post op and it took a good week before I received them via-email. Instead of sending your request to Concierge try sending to Gloria Miranda <gloria@obesitycontrolcenter.com>; she works in the records office. I also cc'd lucia on my request (nutritionist@obestitycontrolcenter.com). That might have expedited it a little bit :) Also be sure to give them your patient ID#.

Another thought is your can also email Dr. Ortiz as well and let him know your having some pain and need your records urgently so your local doc can see you. I think his email may be on one of the documents in the folder they give you.

I requested my records 2 weeks post op and it took a good week before I received them via-email. Instead of sending your request to Concierge try sending to Gloria Miranda <gloria@obesitycontrolcenter.com>; she works in the records office. I also cc'd lucia on my request (nutritionist@obestitycontrolcenter.com). That might have expedited it a little bit :) Also be sure to give them your patient ID#.

Another thought is your can also email Dr. Ortiz as well and let him know your having some pain and need your records urgently so your local doc can see you. I think his email may be on one of the documents in the folder they give you.

Thanks Cherbear. Actually I had already emailed Lucia, the Dr's, Gloria and Lori - but I guess the renovations are now happening in the OR so Gloria is a little behind because she couldn't get to the records etc etc. long story short I phoned again today and Gloria will try to get them to me in the next couple of days. Fingers crossed. :-)