Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Something to Think About

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Hi all!

<o:p></o:p>

I am not a frequent member of this forum all though

I feel close to the members as we all have that common

denominator to share. The idea of weight loss has changed

immensely for me. This time last year when I first got the band

I clocked in at 385 lbs and today I am down to 290 lb. Of course

I am in debt to the band as it put me on track. This post is for

the person who might be struggling with the total concept of what is

really going on.

What has changed along the way for me and is bringing success is the

knowledge that the band was just a tool and I said was because for

3 months I have had no Fluid in my band. Yes no fills!!, a completely empty band.

One Saturday evening I had a piece of salmon that got caught in the band and

for 4 hours I was vomiting like a sailor on ship leave for the weekend!!! It was

terrible and probably the worst experience one could imagine all though I am sure

there are plenty of stories on this forum but after the doctor took out all the fluid

which of course gave me immediate relief I knew at that moment that it would

be the last time that I would have and episode like that ever. You see I never took responsibility for my eating habits growing up. I was and amature athlete and with all the calories I burned food never really was a problem until I married had 4 kids and a desk job. Well that changed everything as my weight ballooned. This experience with the band has put my on a journey that was responsible for me to research information which is knowledge. Let me explain.

For most the band is a last resort to over coming a chronic problem.

I think for many what is going on is and imbalance of the metabolism.

Getting your body back in balance will take more than a band. . It is a great

beginning tool for people that need a starting point but in this posters opinion

the band must be let go at such a point if long term success is the goal. Tightening the band and opening the band of varying degree’s to get a “sweet spot” is all well and good but it is not the long-term answer. The long term answer is speeding up your metabolism. Fine we all know that but exactly how, is the question. There are virtually hundreds of books on this subject. Some of which have value and some that don’t but I am not here to critique any method but to enlighten you to what has worked for me and what I believe to be the holy grail of health.

#1) Water is essential for weight loss and is at the top of the list because

its properties by design speed up the metabolism. Water molecules get

converted into energy and that energy will keep you metabolic rate higher.

I suggest you drink water between meals as the water dilutes stomach acid

which can have and effect on digestion. Cold water takes more energy to

convert than water that is room temp. Cold is better if you can handle it.

2) Eating small meals spaced out every 3 to 3 ½ hours approx 5 meals per day can not be over looked. The body is amazing in that if its not feed regularly the metabolism will slow down so feed your body so not to slow the process down.

3) Chewing food and eating slowly is of course the heart and soul of the Band and The reason why the band is effective. Your body can only metabolize a certain amount of food at one time per meal and anything more will be stored. Ladies that means right in your hips! LOL!! For men well the over hanging gut comes to mind.

4) Exercise : The bottom line here in my travels is walk at least 5x a week

And build muscle mass 3x per week. My metabolism has sky

rocketed because of the exercise and weight training and as a

secret one should eat right directly after work outs.

A small snack is fine. You want to keep your metabolism up

and this will do that.

5) What to eat? What I mean is the type of fuel that will burn and sustain

energy!!! I am a firm believer in metabolic typing which

is a individual approach to diet and health. This is not a

one size fits all program. We all have individual finger

prints and what one will eat can have very different

effect on another. One mans food is another mans

poison. Please go and get William Wolcott’s Metabolic

Typing book which has been ongoing research since the

1930 !!! A whole bunch of scientists and doctors have

been involved in the accumulation of this research of

health.You will not believe how you will feel once you

subscribe to this new shift in nutrition and diet. You will

always struggle if you do not eat the right food for your

type. Get the book!!

www.healthexcel.com<o:p></o:p>

6) Detoxify your body Use infrared electric heat sauna lamps that can be

built for under $100. Put them in your bathroom

and sweat out the toxins. Release the toxins out of

your body through this amazing method. Toxins do

interfere with weight loss as they put the body’s

system out of balance. Not only is this treatment

great for weight loss and putting your body back

into balance but it’s a way to fight cancer and the

potential for serious disease. Dr. Larry Wilson a 75

year old physician with a medical degree from MIT

will astound you with his electric sauna and its

benefits. Infrared Electric Suana’s have been

researched by NASA as the only method of

exercise and detoxification for astronauts taking

long space flight. Yes this therapy gives you

exercise benefits as well.

www.drlwilson.com<o:p></o:p>

In conclusion I would like to add that not having any fluid in my band has not altered my weight loss as I am losing about a 1 ½ lbs per week consistently. My metabolism is high and I don’t feel chained to the band. Of course not everyone is ready for this leap but remember at such a point you will have to let go and its something to think about. I wish everyone all the best in their quest to good health. I hope this information helps one person or more!

Artale

Let me get this straight, you're suggesting that after someone reaches their target weight, they should remove all of their fill and risk it all? (Not trying to be obnoxious, I really am trying to understand your point.)

I don't think that's what was said. I agree with everything and I believe the point was that there comes a time when you have to stop relying on the band as your salvation with weight loss.

The band will help control the hunger and prevent one from overeating (easily the biggest reason I'm fat), but it is not the answer to weight loss...only a tool to help.

Losing weight and keeping it off takes a lifestyle change including eating right and excercising.

In the end, Artale is pretty much confirming my new found belief that you can still lose weight without any fills in your band.

Good stuff, Artale. Thanks for posting this!

That's the exception and not the rule. The point of the band is to make you feel full after eating less food. Plain and simple. If you can change your lifestyle and stick to it, you don't need the band in the first place. My first two weeks after surgery I was eating just like I was before surgery, simply because I was completely open and not getting full.

Let me get this straight, you're suggesting that after someone reaches their target weight, they should remove all of their fill and risk it all? (Not trying to be obnoxious, I really am trying to understand your point.)

I don't think you are trying to be obnoxious.

And for many to get down to your goal weight

is a major struggle. But one has to remember that

the band does not cure your root problem in regards

to your weight gain. I know some that go up and

down with their weight on the band and thats

because the total concept is still not yet in place.

For years I was eating the wrong food, not being

active enough and doing everything wrong until

I was so heavy that I was in a critical mode.

The band is a great starting point and for some

it will take awhile to let it go. I dont suggest that

you walk away from the band but look into many

other alternatives that address health and weight

loss because the more you go down this road

the less you will need the band and the associated

problems that can occur. (food get stuck etc...)

I don't think that's what was said. I agree with everything and I believe the point was that there comes a time when you have to stop relying on the band as your salvation with weight loss.

The band will help control the hunger and prevent one from overeating (easily the biggest reason I'm fat), but it is not the answer to weight loss...only a tool to help.

Losing weight and keeping it off takes a lifestyle change including eating right and excercising.

In the end, Artale is pretty much confirming my new found belief that you can still lose weight without any fills in your band.

Good stuff, Artale. Thanks for posting this!

Absolutely!!!! the only reason I decided to get the band in the first

place was because I was so off the track that I needed

to be reeled in. The band put me back on track and now

I can do all the right things that make for a healthy life

style. Some of those things I mentioned in this post.

Everyone that has a band at some point won't need it

anymore. But you have to work at that and some want

a quick fix to a life long struggle of bad habits. It

happened to me ,I was not immune but I no longer want

to visit a doctor if one day I happen to eat a little faster

than normal. I don't enjoy the feeling of choking and

chest pains or damaging the band. No I decide to work

around the band and do the right things. I learned my

lesson at a high price but I'm back!!! and it feels great!!

Keep the faith!!!

I did not get my band because I was "off track". If I were just off track and could work out and eat smarter I wouldnt have gotten it to begin with. I am glad this approach is working for you. I believe you would be more credible in your ideas if it had been longer than 3 months since you took all of the fill out of your band.

Also - a lot of people still get some restriction with the band alone.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress!

I did not get my band because I was "off track". If I were just off track and could work out and eat smarter I wouldnt have gotten it to begin with. I am glad this approach is working for you. I believe you would be more credible in your ideas if it had been longer than 3 months since you took all of the fill out of your band.

Also - a lot of people still get some restriction with the band alone.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress!

They are not my ideas but research done by many

credible people. I offer you to read the same info as I

to potentially help your efforts and depature from the band.

The word "off track" is the same as imbalance and that can

have multiple significance. Don't put so much faith in the

band as faith in yourself.

thank you fo the kind words!

It took a final blow to the mind to change my thinking.

That's the exception and not the rule. The point of the band is to make you feel full after eating less food. Plain and simple. If you can change your lifestyle and stick to it, you don't need the band in the first place. My first two weeks after surgery I was eating just like I was before surgery, simply because I was completely open and not getting full.

I gotta agree with this 100%. For me...I just don't have an "off switch" to tell me I'm satisfied, much less full! Never have. I think I'd be foolish to think that once I reached my goal weight that magically the "off switch" would become enabled. Once I reach goal, I do want to take saline out slowly and see how I do, but you bet yer bippy I'll be at the surgeon for a fill if I begin to not feel full again. Because a lifetime of obesity doesn't get "cured", it gets managed. I will probably need this tool for life and I am so happy and proud to have it.

There's much to be said about all the concepts above.

Some people get the mind set when they get the surgery or before even, that this is it.

Certainly there is restriction with an unfilled band. Trust me, mine's unfilled and I've PBed a few times.

This is so much more than how we put food into our mouths. It's about our brain; our behaviors and our experiences play into this.

I think it's a three pronged approach:

1. You have the physical change the band does to your stomach.

2. You have behavioral modification about how you eat, e.g., following the rules, learning how to fuel the body for best weight loss.

3. You have congniative modification about food's role in your life. Also reframing success, ones future, etc.

Some people need the band to start the process of dealing with the mental stuff. Some people start with the mental and go, yeah, a tool would be helpful.

Certainly there is plenty to talk about with this monumental change.

Juli

There's much to be said about all the concepts above.

Some people get the mind set when they get the surgery or before even, that this is it.

Certainly there is restriction with an unfilled band. Trust me, mine's unfilled and I've PBed a few times.

This is so much more than how we put food into our mouths. It's about our brain; our behaviors and our experiences play into this.

I think it's a three pronged approach:

1. You have the physical change the band does to your stomach.

2. You have behavioral modification about how you eat, e.g., following the rules, learning how to fuel the body for best weight loss.

3. You have congniative modification about food's role in your life. Also reframing success, ones future, etc.

Some people need the band to start the process of dealing with the mental stuff. Some people start with the mental and go, yeah, a tool would be helpful.

Certainly there is plenty to talk about with this monumental change.

Juli

Excellent and insightful !!!

I agree that the band is a tool. It helps control how much I eat. And after going through the surgery and all, I am more aware of what I am eating. Why do this and not try? In the past I would really try to cut back and make healthier choices. But when I was hungry within an hour of eating, it became very frustrating. And since I have to eat slower, take smaller bites, and chew-chew-chew, it satisfies me where as the same thing that I scarfed down in 15 minutes did not.

I realize I'm only 3 months into this. But in the past, I'm usually bored by the 2nd week and would have given up by the 2nd month if I lasted that long. Now I'm like...what's next? How's my next fill going to affect me? What else in my closet can I fit into now?!?!? I hope the newness never wears off!