Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 17 days post op and I have only lost 10 lbs since the day of surgery. Is that normal?

I gained 12 pounds in the hospital from all of those fluids they gave me. By the time I lost that, I hit the third week stall that is so common among us. During the third week stall I started soft foods, so it wasn't until the fourth week that I started dropping pounds. Don't get discouraged.

Thank you for the response and the encouragement.

Thank you

@Determination Yep I gained a couple pounds in the hospital. Lost a few then hit my week 3 stall that lasted close to three weeks. Now the scale is moving again. As long as you work the program and do what you should be doing, your surgery will work.

@@ShellMilliner, thanks for the encouragement....I feel so full and bloated. Trying hard to get my Water and Protein in. Any suggestions?

@Determination For Water, I had to have mine flavored. Prior to surgery I drank tons of Water no issues, but after WLS it just hurt like swallowing rocks. Squeeze lemon, lime, add crystal light or make infused waters, it is easier to get down. Try drinking 1 oz every 15 minutes. Remember at this stage your shakes count as liquid too. At just over five weeks out I finally started hitting my Protein goals consistently. I had the SADI and need to get 80-100 grams and I started having an aversion to the shakes, so it was hard. I keep water with me at all times and sip throughout the day. But to start work on the 1 oz every 15 minutes then try to increase to 1.5-2 oz every 20. You will get there. You are not alone. I'd be willing the vast majority of people on this board all started the same way.

Thanks ShellMilliner.

Thank you I never knew I could use lime or lemon cause I read it was acidic . I am going to drink some lemon Water now

As mentioned above, when you are in hospital they pump you with fluids via IV. So, it takes a bit to get all that Fluid out.

As a point of comparison, the day I started my 2 week pre-op liquid diet, I was at 387. The day of surgery, I was at 358. 7 days post-op, I was at 352. Not much net loss at that point.

But, I just had my 1 month post op today, and I was at 342.

The projected target for me on this check point was 343 - 20% expected loss of excess body weight at 1 month post-op - so I was exactly on target.

-RC-

Edited by RaginCajun

Your doing fine. You're on the right track. I started out the same way, then hit the 3 week stall and was stuck until week 4. Don't focus too much on numbers because it will drive you crazy. You are also losing inches too. Keep up the good work.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 1 reply
      1. kezbeth

I may have to have gall bladder surgery during my weight loss surgery. Not thrilled about it either but do not want 2 recovery times. Just want it over with.

Thanks for your post. I may need to rethink my decision... :(

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches