Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cardiologist issues ????

I'm so discouraged right now. First off I'm new to this app/forum so idk what I'm doing but today I went to my cardiologist for the required approval, they ran an EKG and the dr said it had some small issues & because my father had a heart attack at an early age he wouldn't approve my surgery!!! He said I need to have a stress test and an echo before he sent the approval to my surgeon. I'm so terrified something is wrong and unwind be able to have it. Anyone else have any cardiac hang ups that came arise during testing??

My EKG was fine but my Echo showed pulmonary hypertension, which is another reason to have the surgery. I am sure they are running more tests just to be safe and then they will clear you. Good luck!

I actually posted about this a few weeks ago. I was sure I was not going to get cardiology clearance. My EKG was not normal and when I did the stress test my pressure was like 230/150 with palpitations! I did the echo as well and that wasn't perfect but didn't show any major issues. Even with all this plus the heart issues I've had in the past, I was still cleared. So I wouldn't stress to much, I was actually glad for the thorough testing and although my results weren't the best it just showed more reason for me to have the surgery ????

It just a part of getting you healthy! The test will show whatever they show. It provides a baseline to work from. I just completed the these test again after surgery. I have increased my odds of having a healthy life despite my genes! Good luck to you!

Wow thank you ladies for responding. I'm new to this page and I wasn't sure anyone would even read it! But I am so encouraged to keep pushing forward now. I was so down last night that I canceled my pulmonary clearance test today for fear of another rejection & I laid around all day. I needed to see that their are others out there with these issues. I've rescheduled the tests and am pushing through this.

HI Cara -

Well, I have a similar story to tell you, and it all worked out. Also, some details on the Stress Test you may find helpful.

My story starts in October 2014. At 385 lbs, I was literally on the table in the OR to have left knee full replacement. The Anesthesiologist looked at my EKG and noticed a heartbeat arrhythmia. Oddly, I explained during the Hospital Pre-Op assessment that I had this condition, and that it was known. However, she (the Anesthesiologist) said "I don't know about that, I can only go by what I see"!

Soooo ... she canceled the surgery and had me wisked to a side curtain and called for a Cardio Consult. She thought I was going to have a heart attack in the next 30 mins (which I certainly wasn't). So, the Cardio Consult took place and they did an Echo Ultrasound. While waiting for results, they discussed to admit me and do a Stress Test first thing the next morning. WTF!!!! I said no, everyone didn't understand >>> because I knew about this condition and it wasn't critical.

Well, the Echo Ultrasound was NORMAL. I told them I would make appt with Cardiologist and get the Stress Test done.

Soooo ... I go to the appt for the Stress Test, and found out that they wanted to have me slide into an MRI like tube for the NucMed Carmera to do the pictures before/after the chemical stress test (no treadmill, I have bad knees). And, I had to lay there for 30 mins with my arms above my head. At my size, I looked at that contraption and said NO WAY.

Then >>> one of the wonderful techs informed me that they had a new mobile unit that was in my home town the next week, and had an opening. And, this new mobile unit is a sit-up chair where you just sit still with your head down across an arm board in front of you, and in 8 mins the entire procedure is over. Its a 3-head NucMed camera that takes all the shots and rotates itself, while you just sit up in the chair. In comparison to the 'old technology' this is like nuclear weapons instead of sticks and stones - LOL!

Of course, after all of this, the Stress Test was NORMAL. I then want back to my Ortho Doc and was discussing the situation and he said that he would do the knee surgery as planned. I then started thinking about the situation and he then mentioned that my BMI was over 50 and he preferred to do the surgery with patient BMI closer to 40. From there, he referred me to my VSG Doc and the new plan was to do that, get weight off via Sleeve, and then go for the Knee Replacement. It would be much better for my rehab on knee (require for both knees, one at a time).

So, this is not all that unusual to be required to get Stress Test and Clearance from Cardiologist.

Best of luck to you >>> it will all work out!!!

-RC-

Edited by RaginCajun

PS Sorry about the (3) posts. I clicked on POST and nothing happened. Did it again, same result. Ditto.

Edited and removed the duplication.

-RC-

Edited by RaginCajun

Same issue here. I went for my EKG, which came back abnormal, but I had been fasting for lab. I thought I had just gotten my electrolytes off a bit. Went to see the cardiologist, still abnormal. He sent me straight over for echo and stress test. At this point, I had a panic attack and completely wigged out. Echo and stress test were normal. Cardiologist's words: I guess you're normally abnormal. Me: Um, thanks?