Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

working out and not losing weight

I had a stall as well and I realized I wasn't eating enough, I started eating every two hours (but not a lot at each sitting) and BAM! 3 lbs in one week after a 2 week stall.

No I don't meet my Protein or Water goals yet

No I don't meet my Protein or Water goals yet

From everything I have learned from my surgeon and throughout this process, I would almost guarantee this is the answer to your issue. My surgeon said the number one determinant of success is getting enough protein.

Wow how do you live on 400 to 500 calories that's a recipie for disaster. It's like holding your breath under Water eventually you are going to get off track I try and get in a minimum of 1500 calories a day and don't feel guilty.

You are working very hard and not having a proper diet that can harm your body and can create health problem for you. As you told you are having 400-500 calories a day and exercising off 700-1000 calories a day that is not good. Here I am sending you some links from here you can choose your diet plan:

Hopefully these diet plans will help you. Otherwise PM me

You are working very hard and not having a proper diet that can harm your body and can create health problem for you. As you told you are having 400-500 calories a day and exercising off 700-1000 calories a day that is not good. Here I am sending you some links from here you can choose your diet plan:

Hopefully these diet plans will help you. Otherwise PM me

Hey Wes helpfull links. Thanks

trulyamazingtoo,

I have a different take on this compared to some of the other members who have replied. You have lost 35 pounds in 7 weeks? You’ve averaged 5 lb per week? So you’re on pace for 250 lbs in a year? Are you aware that a “good” amount for the fast-losing WLS patients is 100 lbs in the first year? You don’t even have 40 pounds left to lose to get to your goal weight!

So I’m not even sure why you’re disappointed or worried! It seems to me you’re doing absolutely fantastic! I agree with the others that at some point you need to make sure your nutrition is right for your body size and activity levels (get enough nutrients without starving your body), but in terms of your weight loss? I don’t see how you could even hope for anything more – I think you’re doing so well!

So I think you are doing fine. Maybe a few things to work on would be Water and Protein intake, and making sure you’re being safe at the gym (but you know your own body – do what feels comfortable to you). In the meantime, good luck and good job.

I don't think you outlined what kind of exercise you are doing (if so, sorry I missed that) but if you are burning off 700 calories per day you are working too hard right now. I would back off substantially. Focus on some weight lifting (low reps, medium to high weight depending on what your tolerance is) to tone muscle, do some walking but minimize too much cardio. You are breaking down muscle at that calorie intake level. I second the idea to eat some fat. Fat free, lowfat was the biggest mistake this country made nutritionally. Avoid sugar and starches, get your Protein in and add some healthy fats to it - avocado, nuts, olive oil, butter (esp grassfed), grassfed beef if you can tolerate it, coconut oil. I add coconut oil to Protein shakes. You have to eat fat to burn fat; otherwise your body is burning your carb intake first, then your Protein intake, then your muscles.

I have to agree with Alex. But I will say don't put so much stock in calories as a label. Put your stock in grams. that is, are you getting in enough bulk Protein to nourish and maintain proper muscle growth and retention, as well as basic cerebral and general bodily functions. You have to have enough Protein to not only fuel your body , and compensate for the loss of carbohydrates and glucose, but also to facilitate the proper muscle growth and maintenance. If you dont , then as others have said you will burn muscle as well as fat, and you wind up in a stall. Think of your body like a construction crew and a demolition crew, each one works on the building that is your body, if you have 10 people building the building, and 20 tearing it down, who will win? the demolition crew will. So if you have more people building than tearing down, you will gain muscle. Good luck, and you can do this.

You definitely need to up your caloric intake to 1000-1200 per day if you are burning that much at the gym. If you are toning....remember muscle weighs more than fat so therefore your weight loss will be even slower. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!

It sounds like you're forcing the process. My first four weeks, I walked and did some very light jogging, but no weight lifting and no intense cardio. I simply wasn't taking in enough calories for that. On a good day I MAYBE get 500 in at the most. If you're burning off 700 calories and you've only eaten 500, you have a deficit and your body has to compensate for that somehow. So it doesn't allow you to lose any fat or mass because your body is relying on it for energy.

There's also so much more to focus on when it comes to weight loss than just calorie counting. Not all calories are equal. There's 100 calories in a mini snickers bar, and there's 100 calories in a low-fat greek yogurt; which one feeds your body best? Don't rush this process. Stick to your basics for nutrition and it's just fine to exercise 5 days a week if that's what your doctor says. You mentioned not wanting to tone at your current weight. The fact is, when your body is overweight, building muscle won't be "toning" until the fat has been lost. And it's truly a process the body has to undergo. Trying to go from 172 to 145 in a month or whatever your goal and deadline is, you kinda just need to let it happen how it's going to happen and not put so much stress on weight falling off fast.

You didn't gain it overnight, it won't come off overnight.

I eat every 3 hours to get more calories and to make my Protein. I sip all day, to make the Fluid goal but I do it. I am about 800 calories a day. 7 weeks post op. I do cardio 5-6 times a week.

Thanks guys for all the input..mi have been trying to up my Protein so that I can still work out. I enjoy working out now. It is a stress reliever and I dont want to ever stop. I do 45 mins to an hour of cardio in elliptical, bike, or treadmill. Zumba twice week a week and I started with the weights at 6 weeks. I choose the right things when I eat. I just need to eat more and I have been working at it. I didnt know if I was going to continue losing weight or just tone at the weight I am meaning have less body fat but still weigh the same. I like how my body is transforming. I am not pushing anything. When I am tired I dont work out and I quit when I am tired.

Thanks guys for all the input..mi have been trying to up my Protein so that I can still work out. I enjoy working out now. It is a stress reliever and I dont want to ever stop. I do 45 mins to an hour of cardio in elliptical, bike, or treadmill. Zumba twice week a week and I started with the weights at 6 weeks. I choose the right things when I eat. I just need to eat more and I have been working at it. I didnt know if I was going to continue losing weight or just tone at the weight I am meaning have less body fat but still weigh the same. I like how my body is transforming. I am not pushing anything. When I am tired I dont work out and I quit when I am tired.

You are doing great.. When I was about 4 weeks out and stalled, my Nut suggested I needed at least 800 calories a day. Everyone is right.. Girl, you are working this!! You have 40 pounds to get to goal.. and you are less than 3 months out! If this is your first stall, then you are fortunate, because I had my first at 3 weeks.. I believe my next is at 3 months.. Get your calories in.