Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok..I know this is silly, but when people ask you how much you have lost, do you tell them how much since you started this process or how much since surgery? I am 3 weeks out and have lost 23 sincecsurgery but didn't know if I should count the little I lost over 6 months prior.

I tell people the total amount since I started my focus on weight loss. It all counts, don't short change yourself.

That's right - it all counts! Include every single ounce.

Oh, but if I'm talking to someone who has had surgery, I might give more detail and talk about pre-op and post-op. I think it all depend on the person I'm talking to.

By the way, congrats on your loss!

Thank you all for such great responses..I do like your response lipstick lady..think I will use that when talking to people not directly in my circle!

I don't tell people how much I lost, except people on this forum and my husband. The people I know are judgmental. Lol. The ones that really get me is how much have you lost and how much do you weigh now? My co workers think I am stupid. They just want to know what I weighed before all this. Lol

I tell both. I lost 32 pounds before surgery. I have been working hard for almost 7 months now and don't want people to think its just been the couple of weeks since my surgery. I am down 51 pounds total.

My answer. A lot. Then I smile and change the subject.

This has becomes response too. I can't believe how any people actually ask... Like coworkers!

It's the mental math you see them doing that irks me.

I know! That's exactly what they are doing. I am NOT a mean person but sometimes I want to say....you should know how much I lost. Looks like you found it. Sometimes people are just insulting. But I could really never be like that.

I tell them the weight lost since I started the two week preop diet.

My answer. A lot. Then I smile and change the subject.

This has becomes response too. I can't believe how any people actually ask... Like coworkers!
My manager asks me every week. One of the docs I work for who also happens to be my gastro asks, but it doesn't bother me. He's like you amaze me! You're doing fantastic! Pretty soon I'm not gonna be able to see you! Lol he just wants what's best for me, but others are nosey

Forgive me but I absolutely hate that question: how much have you lost? I know many people mean well, and some don't. But I've learned a lesson, I will never ask anyone how much they have lost, I will simply tell them how great they look.

But to answer your question, I do not give anyone numbers at all. My surgery was a secret but many people are noticing. I have had a few so far ask how much I have lost and I just say I'm not sure. That usually lets them know that I don't talk numbers. My weight problem and weight loss has always been a personal thing to me. I mostly get "are you losing weight" or "you have lost weight!" And I say "I guess so!" and "Thanks!"

Edited by downsizingdiva