Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Random questions

Just to comment on a couple of the issues. My ster-strips fell off after I showered as well. The incision by the port was much longer, so I added some gauze and some tape to it. I did have to replace that after every shower though.

As for the pop... I used to drink a lot of diet coke, but have not since surgery. I have had a few mouth fulls, and it just doesn't taste that great to me. I think having the occasional pop would be fine.

BUT, the manufacturers do not recommend drinking carbonated drinks... they are the onces that made the band, so they should know the good and bad things about it.

Hi: I have contacted the sales rep that accepted my registering of my Fr.Midband and she said she will contact the manufacturer and get back to me. I will also ask the doc as I will be in TO to see him. Doddie

I pretty much stay away from pop, just because I can't drink it very fast and it's not usually worth it after waiting for the fizz to die down. I did, however have a huge craving for rootbeer the other day, so I bought a bottle, and drank it over a few days. It actually got flat really quick, so that was good. Oddly enough, I can drink beer easier than pop.

Ok question of the day..

my incisions really dont have any feeling..so all is well there..however I have such pressure and discomfort where the port is. Now my surgery was only on June 7/07. Is this normal? If so how long is this expected to last on average?

Ok this question totally fit this thread..its rather random....has anyone gone to the tanning salon since being banded? I just want to make sure it is safe...any input?

well, NO tanning salon is "safe" band or no band. (except for spray on tan)

People KNOW this yet they continue to do it.

Personally, I never have and never will.

Yoda - Well... I don't know about the spray on tan either - isn't that just chemicals? The skin is our biggest organ and doesn't that mean we are just absorbing a huge about of chemical??

Miranda, I have read other posts where poeple have gone to tan without any problems with the band or port. I guess it's a personal choice thing. I used to tan years ago but I stopped. Just decided I didn't want to do it anymore. I must say though... I do miss it at times - it's a culture all of it's own! :)

Hi: On our news out here a few weeks ago, the story was on tanning sprays where a brand had been recalled because it was dangerous and certain big chain stores were still selling it. The warning came that spray on tanning can be just as dangerous as tanning salons. Doddie

Ok I need to say this... tanning if done properly is not bad and can actually be good. As in my case I have to do some pre tanning or I will be in big trouble. I have issues with natural sunlight. I also have Psoriasis and with the help of the tanning bed/booth I can and do keep it under control.

I don't want to cause a huge debate on the rights and wrongs of tanning but there are good things, as with most things in life it depends on how you use it. I also know of people who suffer with depression because of the lack of sun in the winter and they find that going really helps keep them on an even level.

I agree that many people do abuse it, there will always be those people who do whether it is tanning or something else. I have seen the good and the bad about tanning, being in the industry I am in.

I can only speak for me and for me tanning works.

-=winks=- just my 2 and 1/2 cents worth.

Hi leslielee. You are correct. Tanning is a wonderful medical tool and properly supervised can help a lot of people in your similar situation. I think it is the commercial tanning that is the dangerous practice. None supervises and that is when the danger comes in. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of regulations. Doddie

Hello to all:

Like yourselves, my steri-strips started to come off 2 days after the procedure. On the 3rd day I removed the gauze and the hanging strips. In my port area I put on clean gauze so the exposed incision was protected until the 7th day. I did not have any issues with the incisions. Hats off to Dr. Yau for such clean cuts that healed so neatly.

Now to my favourite topic - suntanning. I am a sun worshipper. My favourite sport? Lying in the sun comatosed :). I use very good sun products and rarely burn. I think that's the trick. Tanning beds - forgedd about it!! They are bad bad bad.

How do you even get your ticker on your page??? Everytime I try and put in the URL it tell me "invalid File" Augh!

My surgeon had me take my bandages off at 2 days and I have been just fine. It does feel weird to have the incisions exposed at first! Also, I am back in the tanning bed again. I put band aids over my incisions while I tan to protect them. Now I have a polka dotted stomach!

Hello to all:

Like yourselves, my steri-strips started to come off 2 days after the procedure. On the 3rd day I removed the gauze and the hanging strips. In my port area I put on clean gauze so the exposed incision was protected until the 7th day. I did not have any issues with the incisions. Hats off to Dr. Yau for such clean cuts that healed so neatly.

Now to my favourite topic - suntanning. I am a sun worshipper. My favourite sport? Lying in the sun comatosed :). I use very good sun products and rarely burn. I think that's the trick. Tanning beds - forgedd about it!! They are bad bad bad.

Well just came back from tanning...im sorry I had to say it lol.

I know the risks, I know its not the best plan to get sun.

To be honest...and as lame as this might sound...I already suffer from very low self esteem. Being tanned makes me feel just alittle bit better about myself. I do not do it alot but I just like to be tanned.

Buttt my mom would agree with ya Yoda and Susan...so she says "thanks for talking sense into my daughter" :)