Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Angels for pre-bandsters

OK, here is my thought on this. I know there are people out there that charge sometimes for this service, but I think it should not be a service. That somehow takes away the compassion and the whole reason you do it.

Here is my definition of a Bandster Angel:

* Makes initial contact with a pre-bandster either they contact the angel or the angel contacts them.

* Sets up a meeting to discuss any questions or concerns the pre-b might have.

* Sets up consecutive meetings if needed prior to the surgery.

* Opens a line of communication that is open ended and safe meaning non-judgmental.

* Provides support and knowledge to the pre-b when needed.

* Goes to the hospital on the day of surgery and visits in the hospital or at home when appropriate.

And I am sure I have left out numerous items but this is a start. I think this would be a fun thing to do myself. I would do this for no pay whatsoever.

Would love some feedback from you guys. Any one interested?

I am very intersted in this. I wuld be willing to participate also. I wish I would have had an angel!

I also would love to do this. This is a great way to answer alot of those worrysome questions that we didn't even know we should ask before banding.

:rolleyes:

This is a GREAT idea!

I remember knowing only 1 other person that had this surgery done prior to mine and she wasnt very helpful. Sooooo, I think this would be great if there was a network of banded folks that could do the above things for those newly banded.

Count me in!

Funny thing, I JUST found out (about 15 minutes ago) that a WLS doctor in this area will start doing the lap-band on Nov. 1st. He has been doing the GB for a couple of years, but so many of his patients were hesitant with the GB and questioning the lap band - thats what made him look into it.

hmmmmm, looks like I might have a job..... think he'll pay me? (lol)

I would love to do this..

I have a few future Ortiz bandsters that I am in correspondence with right now just helping them answering their questions and offering support outside of this board.. I think it is a great idea..I would love to be an Angel :rolleyes: for free!

I'm in! Great idea, Penni. I don't know if I'll be able to visit anyone in the hospital during regular business hours, but I'll do what I can. Thanks for starting this!

hmmmmm, looks like I might have a job..... think he'll pay me? (lol)

OK, yall twisted my arm.... I guess Ill do it for free too (sigh)

Of course I'm interested, count me in! Anyone in the south Bay/San Jose Area need me? I'm here!

There is a group of Baybandsters but I don't believe they have a Angel network. Carol and I went to a meeting last August and spoke in detail with Sylvia, A wonderful lady who was looking into banding. She is now scheduled for January 4th I'v just heard. Anyway the questions and concerns she had were very common, Carol and I were even laughing as we described how and what foods we were eating when first banded. She was very grateful to have spoken with us first hand and we walked away with a feeling of opening her eyes to lots of details that reading doesn't always cover.

I had/have and Angel... it is wonderful to have her support and good advice pre-banding and post-banding. I was lucky to have someone nearby but I think even having a contact person for support and information per email or phone would be helpful! I'm in... would be a good way for me to give back what was given to me. :rolleyes:

Darcy

I would certainly be willing to talk to a pre-bandster. I already get emails and answer a lot of questions. The neares band doctor to me, though, is several hours away. I probably wouldn't be able to visit much.

Count me in! Great idea, Penni. I would be happy to help anyone in the New Orleans metropolitan area. Love the idea.

I'm open to being an Angel, however, as much as I'd like to, being there for someone's surgery is not something I can do because I work during the weekdays, but I'd love to be available for phone calls, emails, after-hours visits when I can. Having said that, I know I'll be traveling again pretty soon too. But I'd be glad to be an open line of communication for anyone in my area, for sure. :)

(Hmm, we might have to name it something else, however. Angel and my name has never been mentioned in the same sentence. Unless someone was praying for Angels to deliver them from me.. lol:p)

Believe it or not I had an angel who was a BYPASS person. She came and supported me - I met her on a local board for weight loss surgery - and not once did she tell me that I should have the orther surgery done. I completely support being an angel. I am actually going to be an angel for 2 people here in Milwaukee. One being my best friend's mom - who has always struggled with her weight and another is my boss's daughter who has said great things to her about how I I am looking. I totally support it so count me in!!!