Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 week liquid diet post op

I didn't gain any weight in hospital. 6 days out and I've lost 8 lbs. I don't feel hungry but I just know I need to get in my fluids and an oz every 15 mins has been hard more so because I feel thirsty (probably dehydration) after but didn't think I should drink more

I can't imagine only drinking 1 oz every 15 minutes at this point! As I was discharged the Dr said I could do 100ml an hour and slowly increase that.

A friend who had the surgery and is a Dr told me that at this stage the swelling causes fluids to rush right through us, and that if you still have a lot of gas it can make it hard to drink more than an ounce at a time.

Right now I'm able to drink about 259ml in a sitting, now I'm scared that that's too much! Eep I'm going to ask at my one week follow up tomorrow. I don't want to stretch anything!

Yes please ask I didn't ask for her to go in depth and I probably should have! She also let me have creamed and Tomato Soups. Any idea if you have to dilute it? The cans I have call for 1can Water on top of what's in it. So do I have to add another can? I wasn't expecting them to add this to my diet already so I completely forgot to ask!

Had surgery on the 25th. Off work until April 7th. I have my followup appointment with the doctor on April 6th and will be able to start puree foods then. Can't wait!!

You people are doing great. The trick in the first few weeks is to do the best you can. Drink as much Water as possible. For me, and I'm a whopping five months out now, the most amazing thing was that my tastes in food changed a lot. So I would look forward to having something like tuna only to find out I could not stand it. Eventually I started thinking more about sustainability rather than worrying about enjoyment. Sure there are things I miss or want from time to time. But I find ways to appreciate my shrinking body more than a bowl of ice cream or whatever. sugar free popsies saved me in the beginning,and now I've had two boxes in my freezer for a couple of months. I promise. You'll get used to it one way and it will all change. When I was on puréed, I loved puréed bean Soup with a bit of Greek yogurt thrown in. and peppermint tea is still a lifesaver for me. keep going. And when you pick up a 20-pound bag of groceries, think about the fact you used to carry that weight. I'm so grateful.

I have creamed Soups on my list of allowables too with the only mention being to make it with skim milk so I think it's ok!

I had a bowl of Tomato Soup last night and it was great. I usually don't care for Tomato Soup but I think that and Popsicles are what are going to get me through the next 14 days until I can start purees. The good news is I'm officially down 10 lbs from surgery a week later. I can't believe that nearly a year and a half ago I was 50 lbs heavier (day after giving birth) and 30 lbs lighter since beginning this weight loss journey last July.

Tomato Soup sounds so good...did u add Protein to it?? If so what kind are you using? I put a scoop of Isopure in my greek yogurt this morning giving me 37grams this moring. Happy with that start!

No yogurt for me yet. That's on the puree stage. I didn't add any Protein, mainly because what I have is all flavored. Im switching off between Body Fortress (bought it at walmart) strawberry and the chocolate Peanut Butter. The peanut butter one doesn't (didnt) taste awful..until this morning. Maybe because I had the popsicle and Soup last night. I have a vanilla Protein Powder but can't use it yet because it's 30 grams of protein and my Dr only wants me to get 20 per day as of right now.

Wow....I'm on liquids and have to hit 60 grams a day.....

Dr's are all so different.

I've never heard of a Protein limit so low! I need to get 120 grams a day because of my height.

The nurse just told me that post op it's basically impossible to get too much liquid so not to worry about how much you're consuming at a time. The main concern is not becoming dehydrated.

I'm at 60 grams Protein and 64 ozs liquids. Haven't hit any of those goals yet but getting close. :-)

Working towards them is what counts! :)

60 grams of Protein is my goal once I start eating solids. I also have not yet met my 64 oz but I'm going to try now that I know I can start to drink more than an ounce every 15 minutes. I can tell Im starting to get dehydrated but the past two days have been a lot better. Ive noticed that when I get full I get this really bad pain under my shoulder blade and my right nostril starts running so for now that'll be my sign to stop drinking for awhile and start again later.