Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

only want to lose 50 lbs...

I remember when I only needed to lose 50lbs. I felt as bad about myself then as I do at 100lbs. overweight. It was just as hard to lose 50. obviously I wasn't able to do it or I wouldn't be sitting here now needing to lose 100lbs. If you have a dr. that is willing to do the surgery, and you feel that you need the surgery in order to succeed then go for it! The decision to get this surgery is very personal. Everyone has their own path to follow. There is no reason why you wouldn't be able to lose only 50lbs. you may just lose it slower. Good Luck. :)

I got banded because I wanted to lose between 40 and 50 lbs. I was banded last Sept and I was self-pay. I lost 40 lbs and I have seen my liver shrink in size and my cholesterol readings drop. These are added bonuses for me. I am very pleased about my band.

I disagree about lapband to loose 50 pounds. I've been there and I know it's hard to take and keep off. But I did this for my health not apperance sake although that's the added bonus. Good luck on whatever decision you make.

What in the world are you talking about? A BMI of 31 is obese, not overweight but obese. The risk for high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, diabetes is HIGH. How much damage should someone do to their body before it's okay to have a band? How far out of hand should obesity get before we realize that there is a problem?

I'd rather people catch it early and act on it vs. waiting for horrific medical problems if they aren't there already. The original poster already explained that they have tried and failed many times to lose weight.

I'm all for it, I hope they are successful.

Hi, this is what I was asking in another post. I also don't have 100# to lose. I need to lose 75# and my BMI is 36. I want lap band and I am afraid BCBS IL might not cover it. But I am obease!!! and want to take care of myself and get rid of the weight. Good luck to you. I hope we are both able to get the surgery.

yes, you'd probably be able to get banded in Australia. I mean not that they'll band absolutely anyone who asks but you are technically obese and really, they've realised that many people pass through obese on their way to seriously obese and morbidly obese, an ounce of prevention etc. Most people dont become obese without eating problems in the first place.

So yes, there's many medical professionals who believe you can be a band success story. Its obviously a little slower to come off than for a more obese person, but then you're probably more mobile and fitter and can exercise more to make up for that. If you go into it with the right attitude, you'll succeed.

I *think* it is Australia that their socialized medicine will pay for banding on folks with a BMI of 30 or more. It's just in the screwed up US that they make you wait until you have done severe damage to your body before they will pay for surgery. ;)

So to answer your question, yes. Many.

In your quote you say band got you to your goal and the sleeve will keep you there. Can you explain the sleeve comment?

In your quote you say band got you to your goal and the sleeve will keep you there. Can you explain the sleeve comment?

I had band complications and revised my surgery type to a Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. ;o)

has anyone done lapband who only wants to lose 50 pounds. i have tried and tried to lose weight, but i keep gaining. i'd like to find a way to get a grip before i need to lose 100 pounds

I have done this. I have struggled with diets & trying not to gain more for the last 20 years. I needed to find a way to get to & maintain a healthy lifestyle, before it really got out of contol. Anytime I hit 157lbs, I have more trouble with my asthma. I believe most of the people on this board wish they had found a solution much sooner.

You will find that you will lose far slower than a person with a high BMI, but if you stick strictly to your doctor's program, you will still lose. I am self-pay, so for me, the huge amount of money I spent (my retirement fund) keeps me on track. I have been fortunate, I am 8 weeks out & still don't need a fill.