Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

preop diet... constipation?

Ok ive been on my pre-open diet for 1 week today, and im am not having regular BM's i usually am pretty regular so this is bothering me alot! Has anybody else had this issue? My biggest concern is after having surgery (of any kind) there is typically Constipation due to medication. I am really feeling worried about have this issue even more severely if im not foing regularly before surgery. I was going maybe ever other day for most of the week but now i havnt hone for two days. I think ill probably contact my doctor and ask about taking Miralax or something. Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

I've never heard of anyone having Constipation on the pre-op diet, but definitely speak to your doctor about taking miralax now. You might also request a prescription for colace post-op. My doctor started me on that in the hospital. He put me on a 30 day dose. I had my first post-op BM 3 days after discharge. I've been regular ever since. 6 months out and I am pretty much as normal as I was pre-op.

Im drink about 100gm a day. things seem to be moving more regular now, ive mostly just been trying to make sure I get all my Water in. It seem to make all the difference. Thanks for sharing that though at least there is a reason!

@@chaggard good thing you started with the Water. I am in the same boat but I reduced my Protein intake and started doing Jello and more Water. I also did Miralax to soften things up. It was not fun being constipated but I did mention it to my doctor during our pre-op visit and he said Protein will do it.

I'm glad you are feeling better.

well I'm glad I'm not the only one who seemed to be slowed down in that department. I guess i just didn't expect that kind of reaction from a liquid diet.< /p>

I am sooooooooooo constipated on the diet too. I started with Metamucil but that made my stomach hurt, so my surgeons office said a can take a softener or a laxative. I need to get more Water in. I am about 100 or so grams of Protein, I can have 3-4 shakes a day, and feel I need them as too much broth = lots of salt!

I noticed the days I had more sodium I was having trouble with BMs I try to only have 2 ups of broth a day 1 for lunch usually and then 1 at dinner time.

Good point on the sodium !

Omg I can't poop for the life of me!!! And it's driving me nuts because I'm so bloated!!!! I have been taking Miralax for the last three days and nothing it just makes my stomach bubble. I tried a laxative and nothing just gave me bad cramps ! Do you guys really think it's the sodium? If so how do we correct this?! I'm going to need to have a huge poop before my surgery Wednesday! Ugh very frustrating and uncomfortable!!!!

@@x0CheekzVSG - If you are that backed up, call your doctor. They can prescribe a bowel prep for you. I had one before my hysterectomy. I forget what it was called, but it was prescripton only. I drank it and it completely cleaned me out.

ETA: It was called GoLYTELY. It was no joke! You will have to cancel all plans once you take it.

Edited by BLERDgirl

@@BLERDgirl I have to do a milk of magnesia prep day before surgery so I hope that helps but I would really like to go like today or tomorrow not wait 4more days

I have been having such issues with the Constipation 2 days in a row I had to use a suppository because the poop got stuck it is like a hard brick and my muscles are so sore it hurts to sit I am going to do the Metamucil 4 times a day and the stool softener and up my Water even more - it is agony poopong in pain ????????????????????????????I know total tmi but if I cannot say it here where can I ?

Protein Powder can have that effect as can a decrease in overall volume of solid food you're getting. Try some Miralax. Long term, I found that adding a good multistrain probiotic has resolved the issue completely for me.