Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

POLL: How true did you follow the pre-op liquid diet?

I admire everyone's honesty. Thank you for keeping it real. I am on day 5 of my liquid diet and I must say that I am proud that I have not cheating. It's not to say that I haven't been tempted but nope, I resisted temptation. No cheating for me. I drink my 5 shakes a day along with my 60 oz of Water and nothing else. I am a scaredy cat so I'm following doctor's order 100%.

I was faithful to the pre-op diet, but cheated on my spouse. :o

I'm kidding! I've never even been married. I guess that's why. B)

Edited by AlwaysVegas

Haha......Oh geeze! Always one in the crowd! ;)

ok so today is my second day of my pre opt diet and my calorie count and Protein count was too low so i was instructed to add Protein powder(170 calories-30g of protein) to the already premade shakes(160 calories-24g of protein) from the store. I was told to also add some PB2 to it also to kick the protein count up.

I'm allowed :

Protein shakes up to 5 a day

broth(tuscany chicken-Way yummy)

sf jello/pudding

crystal light

sf popsicles (tropical flavor yummy)

My goal is to not cheat and start my new life with a goal of making it through this 14 day nightmare!

March 31 surgery with dr. Jesus Lopez

This is my pre-op diet exactly. I'm on day three, and I'm struggling with weakness, but that's really it. I definitely feel less satisfied, but I'm not dying of hunger.

Honestly, what I'm the most sick of is the sweetness of the shakes. I love sweets, but this is just too much, and what's crazy is the shakes I'm drinking (the ones specifically recommended by my nut) are only 1g and 2g of sugar. Ugh, I just want something salty! broth helps that.

I must say, I'm completely envious of those of you whose doctors allow any solid food at all during this pre-op diet. I know I could totally keep it under control to have just a salad every day with these shakes, or even just a few veggies :(

i am on day 1 of my pre=-op and I am tired and hungry. I have not cheated yet. LOL

i am on day 1 of my pre=-op and I am tired and hungry. I have not cheated yet. LOL

Day 2 will suck more.

Day 3 will suck more-ER!

Day 4 will be a turning point. Hang in there!

TRUTH!

Totally agree with @lipsticklady. Day 4 it felt second nature and it was my "final count down" from 10 days to surgery. I made little glittery signs from day 10 to 0 and hung it on my fridge. It was a little project to do when I had a craving. I did a few at a time. (This just goes to show everyone that I am truly a 7 year old in a 29 year olds body.)

I will be honest. Having gastric bypass on Monday and am starting having only Clear liquids as of right now. Scared to death to have complications but cannot control my self-defeating behavior...

Tried all the Protein shakes I could find; they all make me want to throw up. Literally. But I have had lots of high Protein greek (plain) yogurt and the surgeon's office say that I will be fine.

Please, don't bash me for my confessions! I am feeling very depressed as is...

Thank you for reading.

I am on my 5th day of liquid diet; 4 SF carnation instant Breakfast, 1c skim milk, 1c SF Jello or 2 SF Popsicle a day, this is a 14 day diet. I am going crazy!!! I have cried everyday since day 2. Today I have questioned if I can even do this ... Do I need to give it up???? ????????????????

I'm on day four of my pre-op and haven't done so well! I think people with BMI's over 40 are told it's mandatory because of the liver issue. My doctor said to try and lose some weight, but because I'm on the lower BMI scale (35), he didn't make it sound like it was that urgent. Maybe he should have! Tomorrow, I will try to be more faithful. It's definitely psychological. I drink health shakes all the time, but trying to drink up to five a day has been rough. Tomorrow's a new day!!

Edited by Susan Mary

I was on 7 day. Was not compliant on two days. I regret it, but just being honest. I think most important thing is that if you do fail, tell your doctor. She is best-placed to decide if it's ok to do surgery, if she wants to ultrasound your liver, etc. My bmi was 35 when I scheduled surgery. I'd had an abdominal ultrasound from another doctor. So surgeon was not concerned that my failure meant my liver was too big for safe surgery.

And me or anyone else being honest is not the same thing as telling someone in pre-op it's ok to cheat. It goes without saying that strictly following the advice and orders of medical expert is critically important. (Just feel the need to say that because I believe it and I don't want to be flamed by posters saying I'm condoning non-compliance.)

@@Smal2015 If anyone bashes you....let me know who....lol! Jj

I didn't have a pre op diet....just liquids 24 hrs before surgery. I actually gained 33 lbs from the time I got my sugary date in November till my surgery on March 5th. Just keep on truckin!

I am on my 5th day of liquid diet; 4 SF carnation instant Breakfast, 1c skim milk, 1c SF Jello or 2 SF Popsicle a day, this is a 14 day diet. I am going crazy!!! I have cried everyday since day 2. Today I have questioned if I can even do this ... Do I need to give it up????

You CAN do it! Don't give up. It does get easier, though never easy. It will suck, but it's only temporary. Dig deep and make it happen!

Boring, but true ...

I just did the two-week pre-op diet as instructed.

Week One - two shakes a day and one Lean Cuisine

Week Two - three shakes a day, period.

Oh, and 64 ounces of Water.

Lipstick and others are right: After Day Three it gets a lot easier.