Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

POLL: How true did you follow the pre-op liquid diet?

I had 10 days of Bariatric Advantage shakes with up to 2 cups of low carb veggies/day. I cheated a couple of times:

1 - eating more veggies than I was supposed to on 1 or 2 occassions

2 - about a half-ounce of mixed nuts, twice.

@@crazyffhfan ... Anything I've read as well as my surgeon advised a 14 day liquid diet pre-op gives you the best chances of a safer surgery (The liver sits over your stomach and the liquid diet shrinks the liver, giving your surgeon a better view of everything at surgery time) and quicker recovery time. Call and ask your surgery center for advice on this. Don't just let it go because you might be cheating yourself.

Not going to lie, I didn't follow it at all. I did keep track of my calories with my Fitbit and lost 7 lbs prior to surgery. I was working 11 hours days and could not hang with all liquids! Noone every asked my about my preop diet. The doctor never said a word and I have not had any complications! I did have a lot of anxiety over not following it. Looking back I would have not worried so much! Truth!

Thank you for not being afraid to be honest! I'm glad things worked out well for you!

Not going to lie, I didn't follow it at all. I did keep track of my calories with my Fitbit and lost 7 lbs prior to surgery. I was working 11 hours days and could not hang with all liquids! Noone every asked my about my preop diet. The doctor never said a word and I have not had any complications! I did have a lot of anxiety over not following it. Looking back I would have not worried so much! Truth!

Edited by deetz71

@MoMo12onTheGo...Thanks! I will give them a call because they didn't say anything but to come in to pre-op on the 10th.

With all of the saints on this thread, let me be the first to say I was eating high octane crap up until 2 days before surgery, liquids the day before and I have had zero issues

Triple like! Obviously it's not good you "cheated", but hooray for honesty!

0% I wasn't ready for surgery, I had gotten my surgery date 3 weeks after I made an inquiry and one month after I heard this type of surgery even existed. I did not follow pre op diet at all, I gave up vaping and that was enough for me. I didn't gain or lose at surgery date. If I wasn't ready before, the sleeve forces you after (initially).the badge of shame

I'm on day 3 of 14 of my pre surgery diet. I am not allowed any solid food and my "shakes" have to be no sugar added Carnation Instant Breakfast, which has almost no Protein. I can also have sugar free Jello and sugar free popsicles. I haven't cheated and I hope I won't but I'm hungry!

Followed 100%. Even Started 2 days early because I was afraid I wouldn't lose the 5% I was supposed to. Ended up losing 22 pounds instead of 12! Managed to get through two Christmas parties, a birthday party and a funeral without cheating even once. ????

Program was 3 Protein shakes and unlimited greens. I substituted broth with unflavored Protein powder for one of the shakes each day for a savory alternative. I also dipped some of my green veggies in unjury Protein cheese sauce and sprinkled flavored vinegar on spinach, kale, butter lettuce and other leafy greens. All allowable per nutritionist.

My pre-op fasting diet started 3 days before my surgery. Most likely that was because I was under 200lbs. Before that, I was asked to loose 10lbs.

Wow Chunkylover53, that kind of pisses me off. You should have been sent home with literature to read and be required to attend a support group. This is such a life changing procedure, that needs some deep thought. I think you were done an injustice.

With all of the saints on this thread, let me be the first to say I was eating high octane crap up until 2 days before surgery, liquids the day before and I have had zero issues

Triple like! Obviously it's not good you "cheated", but hooray for honesty!

It's almost like being in high school and watching the kids get picked on for actually doing their homework and trying to get good grades. ;) :lol:

I followed mine 100% as directed. I had two weeks of liquids and less than 1000 calories. One day I had a party and I was allowed one meal then, as long as I stayed below the calories, and I think that was at about day 6. I remember it being very hard, and I wondered if I had what it takes to succeed with the sleeve, so I think I was trying to prove to myself that I could. Guess if could.

My doc doesn't require liquids for two weeks for everyone, just high BMI patients. People with a BMI of lower than 50 have a different requirement.

@ I'll just give myself a hooray for success AND honesty! ;)