Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

POLL: How true did you follow the pre-op liquid diet?

Please don't hate on whoever answers this! I have followed it to a T (I'm currently on day 5 of 14) -- with a few exceptions. Last night I had a small piece of cheese and Saturday night I took a small crumb of a Panera baguette and ate it with a drop of broth. Also, my surgeon allows Life Saver gummies - I couldn't find them so I got some Sweet Tart Gummy bunnies. I still had some - but gave the rest to my sister's kids.

I just want to know that 1) I'm not alone 2) I'll still be okay!

Thanks, Sleevers :)

Edited by deetz71

I followed it 100%. I actually followed it for a month instead of the two weeks my doctor prescribed.

I was to drink 2 Protein shakes a day, have one piece of fruit, one cup of Greek yogurt, and one meal of a 4oz serving of a lean Protein and veggies.

I was working out heavily during my preop, and I felt weak, so I called my surgeon who gave me permission to add another 2-4 oz of lean protein a day.

I actually followed it to the T. I never cheated not even once but I took drastic measures like eating (well drinking) my meals in my room away from the family. I Never went to long without a shake and some nights I was wide awake and new I'd be tempted to eat so I took a little zzzquil a couple nights to get to sleep. In the end I made it and was proud of myself so it was worth it Just to have the satisfaction of kicking foods derrière! I was only allowed 3-4 shakes a day,sf Jello and popsicles (which I never ate the popsicles) and broth. Wow I'm surprised you were allowed candy!!

Edited by Elode

I don't get to have any solid foods (I would LOVE to have yogurt, meat, veggies, fruit!). Only Protein shakes (not pre-made), broth, SF Jello, and Water, plus one serving each of 100% fruit/no sugar added juices and V8. Optional for "chewing" are Life Savers gummies and Knox Gelatin.

Mine was only for 5 days. My EGD was 2 days before I was to start it so it kind of got lengthened for me, but I followed it. 7 days is not that long. Plus the last 2 days included "bowel prep" so I didn't want anything but Clear liquids at that point in self-defense)! Not sure how well I'd have fared if it had been longer though!

Why are you allowed Life Saver gummies? Are they really low in sugar? Even real fruit gummies or fruit roll ups aren't very good for you. All of it contains sugar and carbs, which (in my experience) just worsens cravings for more. I guess it has something to do with the Gummy substance not being too harsh on your liver?

I stayed right on track throughout my 11 day liquid pre op diet. It is hard, but I was determined not to do anything to mess up my surgery or chance at success. I am one of those people that DON'T eat sugar, starch, or junk food in moderation. It is the only way that I can prevent cravings and not overdo it. Everyone is different, but I think its best to follow your surgeons guidelines for the pre op diet. You will feel so confident about yourself, the outcome of your surgery, and your success as a post op patient if you comply with your pre op requirements. You can do it!

I followed it 100% except one day, in place of my green salad with calorie free dressing for dinner, I had part of a scrambled egg with a little Breakfast sausage mixed in. My 15 day pre-op diet was as follows:

3 Protein shakes a day (150 calories each)

1 green salad with calorie-free dressing

sugar-free popsicles and Jello

So I was eating a whopping 450 calories a day and I was supposed to keep up my exercise throughout. The exercise only made it about 5-6 days in. I was literally passing out at work by that point. Only eating 450 calories a day and burning 600+ through exercise while also working for a living was simply not sustainable.

Edited by JamieLogical

With the exception of one piece of birthday cake (mine :) ), which I told my nurse about the day she called to change my surgery date, I followed the pre-op diet (full liquids) to a T. My pre-op diet was for 13 days rather than 14 only because my surgery date was moved up sooner and 13 days was all I had. About 5 months earlier I had started using powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Protein shakes for my Breakfast and lunch, Monday-Friday, so adding one (or two) more to my day and on the weekends wasn't a big deal. It was more of a challenge to my husband because he really did not want to eat in front of me, but it truly was okay if he did. Even though I behaved during the pre-op liquid diet, and the purpose of the pre-op diet is to shrink your liver, my liver did not shrink as much as my doctor was expecting it to. He said after surgery that it was larger than he was expecting to find it which really surprised me considering. Different surgeons have different pre-op plans for their patients for a reason, so do what your surgeon tells you to do. You'll be better off for it.

I followed it 100%. I figured if I cheated for two weeks before surgery, then what precedent am I setting for long term success?

So when does pre-op shake/liquid diet begin? I haven't gotten anything from my doc. I don't go in for pre-op with him until the Friday before surgery.

ok so today is my second day of my pre opt diet and my calorie count and Protein count was too low so i was instructed to add Protein powder(170 calories-30g of protein) to the already premade shakes(160 calories-24g of protein) from the store. I was told to also add some PB2 to it also to kick the protein count up.

I'm allowed :

Protein shakes up to 5 a day

broth(tuscany chicken-Way yummy)

sf jello/pudding

crystal light

sf popsicles (tropical flavor yummy)

My goal is to not cheat and start my new life with a goal of making it through this 14 day nightmare!

March 31 surgery with dr. Jesus Lopez

So when does pre-op shake/liquid diet begin? I haven't gotten anything from my doc. I don't go in for pre-op with him until the Friday before surgery.

Some surgeons don't require a pre-op diet at all. I'm sure that if yours does, he will let you know in plenty of time. For most people it is either 1 or 2 weeks. Some people just have a 2 day clear liquid diet right before surgery. It really does vary a lot depending on your surgeon.

Since some only have 2-7 days pre-op diet -- and many are still eating food during that time per their doctor - the small crumb of bread and small piece of cheese I have consumed in the 14 days of clear liquid diet won't be a deal breaker for me. The crumb of bread was premeditated (seriously a crumb), but the cheese happened during a Water run in the middle of the night - found the wrapper on my nightstand.

Some surgeons don't require a pre-op diet at all. I'm sure that if yours does, he will let you know in plenty of time. For most people it is either 1 or 2 weeks. Some people just have a 2 day clear liquid diet right before surgery. It really does vary a lot depending on your surgeon.

Oh ok, I see. I don't care.....I'm just glad to be able to finally do this!!! :)

I followed it 100% and not for 2 weeks, i did it for a month. My surgeon warned me that if he opened me up and saw that my liver had not shrunk he would not hesitate to close me up and revisit the surgery when i was fully committed to it! That alone scared the bejeezus out of me!