Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded Yesturday Severe Gas Pain

<TABLE class=tborder id=post487645 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_487645 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e9e9e9 1px solid"><HR style="COLOR: #e9e9e9" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hello, I was banded yesturday and I have severe gas pain, I never imagined that gas could hurt this badly. I have tried gas-x, it doesnt help at all. I have walked today. The problem I have is that my belly at teh port site hurts so badly that I cannot strain to get any gas out. I heard that the gas they inflate your belly with has to absorb into the tissue and be released, I suppose that explains why the gas is gettig worse not better. Do you have any advice that you could share ? Also I cannot believe how bad the port site hurts ! I am pretty tough when it comes to pain I am surprised at how sore I am wow it hurts. Did you feel miserable also and how long does the terrible gas pain stay ? I look pregnant and feel so much rumbling.

Thanks so much I am desprate it hurtshelp.gif<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<!-- / message --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e9e9e9 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e9e9e9 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e9e9e9 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e9e9e9 1px solid"> </TD><TD class=alt1 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #e9e9e9 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e9e9e9 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e9e9e9 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #e9e9e9 1px solid" align=right><!-- controls -->digg.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I am sorry that you are in that much pain! Walk and heating pad. I wish I could tell you more. Feel better...this is the worst of it, it will get better!

Good luck

this is going to sound weird but grab your belly and shake it....

shake it up and then walk it out.... also go do a search for the petho

postion by babygotback... I don't see her here much anymore, but she had a very good technique.....

GOOD LUCK>..... shake baby shake! :)

What kind of Gas-X? I found MUCH more relief with the chewables than the strips--they are a bit stronger! And definitely WALK...and when you tired, walk a little more. Sit with the heating pad for a spell & then walk again! Watch out for shoulder pain...that will probably settle in after your gas is a bit relieved...just keep walking & use liquid Tylenol for the shoulder pain.

Hang in there!

Try getting on all 4's with a pillow and stick your behind up in the air. Not a pretty picture, but it will provide relief! I also used heating pad and thermacare heat strips. The best thing for me was a long walk. 5 days post op, I went to the park and walked (SLOWLY) a mile. It was not for exercise, it was just to get things moving around. When I was in your position, I thought it would never end! BUT IT DID!

Smiles!

I opened up Mylanta gas gel caps and squeezed out the liquid into a drink. Then I also would take extra Gas-X strips. I was also told sleeping/lying on your side would assist the movement of the gas to the intestinal tract. Sounds crazy, but it worked for me. About 3 dys. after surgery, the porcelain god & I were friends for quite a while...then no more pain. :) Good luck!

I had gas pain for about a week to a week and a half. And it does settle in your shoulder..mine was right by my collar bone on the left side. I still get twinges there but they do go away. All the above suggestions do work and then you do just have to suffer through them as well. I think that was the worst part.

Did you get any pain meds? I had some for a week, along with some gas meds and antibiotics.

Shawn

Every single time you get a stab of pain, hop (slowly) to your feet and walk....around the house, down the driveway...SOMEWHERE!!! Trust me....IT WORKS! Walk walk walk walk walk and more walk. There is NO substitute. You'll find within a few minutes that stuff starts to push its way out, both above and below....a wonderful feeling!

Kimmom, I'm sorry you're having so much gas pain. I had alot as well. Got extreme at times, much worse than I expected. I used a heating pad and walked as much as I could, even when I felt like I couldn't walk, I forced myself. Also, if you need pain meds use liquid tylenol or codeine. When you lay in bed try to roll to your side, this may feel uncomfortable but just go slowly, after a few minutes roll to the other side. Keep doing this until you start to pass gas.

I don't know why your port site should be hurting so much. Do you mean it hurts when you touch it or just hurts period? Mine was abit sore but if I pressed on it, it really burned. This feeling subsides with time.

Everyone has had great suggestions. Try them all and find what works for you but please know that some people have much worse gas pains than others. It really is time that resolves the issue. I'm four weeks post-op and still have some gas pains. Hopefully yours will resolve much sooner. Best wishes and keep smilin'!!!

:)

I have tried some of your suggestions and I am starting to pass some gas ! Yay, not much relief yet but at least it is comming out. I burp everytime I move sound like a seal barking LOL

thanks again

It just doesn't seem like you can "pass gas" from your completely airproof stomach cavity. I think it has to be absorbed. So, I'm guessing that while you may pass some gas and find relieve, it is just that maybe the passing of gas provides more room in the abdominal cavity. Anyone have thoughts on this?

Not that this is much help to Kimmon but if it is true, only time will take care of the absorption.