Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overeating when dining out

Hi,

I'm 3 months out from my surgery and starting to dine out. I find I overeat pretty regularly when I do this. I set aside a portion to start with and plan to eat only that. I tend to pick at what is left over, or bread left on the table, etc. Sometimes I don't intentionally do it, and just find myself picking out of habit.

What strategies do people have for dealing with this? What different things do people do to avoid this?

Thanks!

Take the bread away.

Dump salt, pepper or a little Water on whatever is sitting there before it's picked up if you're done.

Ask for a box and bag with dinner. Box and bag the left overs before you even get started.

Ask for a salad plate up front so you can better "measure" what you do plan to eat

Bring a tooth brush and go brush your teeth when you're finished.

I ask for a to-go container right off the bat. That helps. As for the bread on the table... I've done pretty well at just ignoring it, so I don't have any advice there. I have dieted a LOT in my life, so I have long since developed the ability to sit through an entire party with a bowl of cheese puffs in front of me without eating a single one. I just cease to see it as food and it doesn't register with me. But that's my own situation, so that doesn't help you at all!

Don't touch the bread, or drink alcohol, or eat dessert. Swap out the starch for a second vegetable. Eat your Protein first, veggies second. You should run out of room part way through the veggies. Take the rest home for tomorrow's lunch. It really is that simple!

it sounds like dining out is a trigger for overeating for you...i would try to avoid it as much as possible for now

My husband and I have gotten to the point where we send back any bread or chips and salsa since we LOVE the bread, butter, chips, salsa all of it! I also split my meal in half and box it up ahead of time.

I have a hard time with this too. I always say no bread but then my husband says "what about he kids". Then i start mindlessly start picking at the bread. Before I know it I have 2 pieces and my meal hasn't even come to the table yet. We stopped going out as often.

Im 3 months out and I can eat just 1/4 of a restaraunt entree. I always order a Protein and the sides are just veggies. I don't eat bread or starches. Once I reach full I stop and ask for a Togo box even though my family is still eating. The leftovers are another three meals for me.

I remember at about 3 months I went out for dinner for the first time since surgery, I ate the way I did before, started with a wine, then some salad, then the main course. I didn't expect to eat as much, but after a good portion of Protein and a few bites of veggies, I felt sick and we had to leave. That's when I realized how different dining out is going to be from now on. I think its a combination of too much food and eating too fast. Too much bread doesn't seem to work either, so I tend to get wraps and then I can only comfortably eat half. I also asked for advice from forum friends, and the advice that has worked for me is to find the restaurant's menu online and plan ahead what I want to eat, usually ala carte, small portions, and I always take some home.

Edited by vincereautmori